Goodreads

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like using Goodreads, but I am continually frustrated at the reading progress bar. For me, it has never showed the correct amount of pages for each book, therefore not really showing accurate progress on my reading. It's not an important thing I know, but it's nice to see the bar slowly creeping along and makes me feel as if I have achieved something, particularly with the doorstep sized books.

Karen, do you check for the correct edition of the book? If you just add whichever book comes up first in the search, it's often a different edition to what you might own. But if you click on a little link underneath the book title (it'll say something like '24 editions'), it takes you to a page listing all of the editions that have been published. You can scroll through them until you find the edition that has the correct amount of page numbers (for you) and a cover that matches your copy. Occasionally I can't find my edition, but it's usually excellent. It's a little extra work, but a lot more rewarding. :)

Edited by Kylie

Karen, do you check for the correct edition of the book? If you just add whichever book comes up first in the search, it's often a different edition to what you might own. But if you click on a little link underneath the book title (it'll say something like '24 editions'), it takes you to a page listing all of the editions that have been published. You can scroll through them until you find the edition that has the correct amount of page numbers (for you) and a cover that matches your copy. Occasionally I can't find my edition, but it's usually excellent. It's a little extra work, but a lot more rewarding. :)

I have had problems finding the right cover, but I never realised that it also gave a different page count. I just assumed that as it was the same book, that the page count was the same. So I will try that in future. thanks! :smile:

Yes but because I wasn't expecting any unusual e-mails from goodreads I deleted all of their e-mails because they are usually notifications that people whom I follow have posted something new. And even if I had received the e-mail, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Frankie, you almost certainly won't have to do anything :). They have done what is necessary for about 99% of the books on GoodReads, and I think it only matters if you have some very obscure books on there. If any of yout books have got a 'rescue me' link next to them, then you'll need to press that link, but otherwise, you won't need to do anything.

Yep, don't worry about it. I had quite a few obscure books that were in danger of being deleted, but when I checked it again several hours later, it said they were all good. :) Hopefully your Finnish titles will be OK too.

I joined Goodreads a few months ago and had a lot of fun checking out books that are now on my to-read list. I haven't been on it recently, but it's a great way to discuss your favourite books and look for suggestions for something new and interesting to read.

I lost a lot of my book covers :( you cannot imagine the pain I felt when I saw they had taken away some of my carefully chosen lickable covers and replaced them with their bog standard default cover :o Some of the covers aren't rescuable .. some don't even have a cover to choose from. My bookshelves are ugly ... and I can't even go on a rescue mission because it's so SLOW (I've caught this random capitalisation from Julie and I rather like it :D) where everyone else is trying to save their lickable covers .. oh man I have the mean reds. Some of their horrible default covers have shown up under my 'favourite covers' shelf :o:giggle2::o someones head will roll for this :D

Oh good god, I'm sorry for you trouble and loss, dear ladies :empathy::( :( I just remembered this and I haven't been to check myself. Although quite a few of my books weren't initially even on the goodreads so I've had to manually add a few so my covers never really matched anyways. But I'd hate to see them having removed anything. I want things to be in their places.

Five of my books have the Rescue Me tab, and good grief, I can't even find them around here. They are buried somewhere, so I just let it go. Thankfully we have accounts on Library Thing, and so far no problems with them. They have discussion threads too, although I don't usually check them anymore.

One thing that has always annoyed me about Good Reads is that they don't allow any duplications, even when it is a different ISBN, version, cover that we've gotten. That is just high handed IMO, and short sighted. Between husband and myself, we have several hundred duplicates, and I'd like to see them on GR. However in their "wisdom"it isn't allowed. grrrrr.

Library Thing will notify you if and when you post a duplicate, but they don't give a fig what you do, it's your bookshelf. Another plus, on LT anyone can add a cover picture, and they have loads to choose from, and it's an easy process.

Plus, when I transfered bookshelves from LT to GR, almost a thousand didn't go over. Some were duplicates, but the others are a mystery to me. No idea why they didn't transfer.

No, for my money, LT is far superior for keeping track of what books you possess.

Oh, that's so weird! I just went and looked up Lolita (a book I know we both love) and sure enough, it doesn't give an option to add different editions! I've never seen it with only the 'switch to this edition' option before. I swear. I just looked up my copy of The Great Gatsby, of which I own two editions, and they both appear in my reading list, so I've definitely been able to add multiple copies. Is this only a recent thing?

Aha! I found someone else asking the same question. They call it 'reviewing' but they mean 'shelving'. I tried to add a third copy of The Great Gatsby using their method, and it seems to work. I'm going to find somewhere to make recommendations and suggset they make it easier to add multiple copies!

Oh, that's so weird! I just went and looked up Lolita (a book I know we both love) and sure enough, it doesn't give an option to add different editions! I've never seen it with only the 'switch to this edition' option before. I swear. I just looked up my copy of The Great Gatsby, of which I own two editions, and they both appear in my reading list, so I've definitely been able to add multiple copies. Is this only a recent thing?

Aha! I found someone else asking the same question. They call it 'reviewing' but they mean 'shelving'. I tried to add a third copy of The Great Gatsby using their method, and it seems to work. I'm going to find somewhere to make recommendations and suggset they make it easier to add multiple copies!

Thanks Kylie, it's too late for me to go back and replicate, but knowing they do have a method makes me feel a bit better about the site.

btw, while I'm thinking of it, I listed a book bought recently in the other thread...The Price of Salt. Well, guess what it says on the cover? "Now a masterwork, the novel that inspired Nabokov's Lolita". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll see about that! :P

Indeed! That's certainly riding on the coattail's of a successful book, isn't it?

If anyone's interested, the GoodReads discussion about adding second editions can be found here. As you can see, I'm in full rant mode because I'm really annoyed that they've removed the feature because of some people's ignorance of how to use it. :angry:

I've lost a book but haven't a clue which one it is. I need to use all of my Sherlockian deducements which tbh is not a strong point but there are clues. I had filed it under letters/memoirs and given it 4 stars so it must be a favourite. It looks like I read it last year too so I only need to go through my 2011 book blog .. bother .. I wish they hadn't ransacked my shelves.