Books that are popular with men :-)

Hello everyone,

This question might seem a bit strange but recently  my students have asked me about that so I would like to ask you because I didn't know the answer. Could you tell me what British authors are particularly popular with men in Britain? Thank you for your help. Matt

What, modern authors? literary fiction authors? writers of thrillers or science fiction? My favourite author overall was George MacDonald Fraser, but he is fading into the mist. I expect Bernard Cornwell is still popular. He wrote all the Sharpe books. Terry Pratchet was very popular with my friends when I was young. So was Douglas Adams. Tom Sharpe was very popular when I was young. I dare say he appealed to men more than women. I expect Lee Child still appeals to a lot of blokes. Maybe Robert Harris. JRR Tolkein is still popular. It is difficult to think of any authors literary fiction that particularly appeals to British men. Possibly George Orwell still. I am not even sure about Martin Amis, for all his fame, was particularly popular. I have a friend who reads Peter May and Ian Rankin, who are both Scottish detective fiction writers. Iain Banks/ Iain M. Banks was popular. He wrote literary fiction and science fiction, but has been dead awhile and I don't suppose he is as popular as he was.

Edited by KEV67
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...