Top 100 Children's Books of All Time - According to BBC Culture

Apparently this came out in May but I only just saw it. I'm quite surprised by some of the results! Personally, I wouldn't have put Where the Wild Things Are above Alice's Adventures in Wonderland...

I'm also surprised that The Cat in the Hat, Paddington and The Wind in the Willows are all down in the 60's.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book made it into the list!

What do others think? 

That's an awesome list! I'm a big fan of the classics like The Cat in the Hat, Little Women, and Charlotte's Web. This list is perfect for anyone looking for their next great kid's read. Could be a great opportunity to introduce my kids to some of the books I loved growing up.

• Like 1

I would have put The Wind In the Willows, My Family and Other Animals ,The Graveyard Book and several others a lot higher. 

I disliked Alice In Wonderland and Pippi Longstocking, both in the top three, as a child 😏

58 minutes ago, poppy said:

I disliked Alice In Wonderland and Pippi Longstocking, both in the top three, as a child 😏

I absolutely loathed Alice in Wonderland when I read it aged 8. I don't know why I just felt there was something "wrong" with it.

Actually, I'm not sure I know anyone who liked it as a child. Is it like clowns, something that adults think children like?

21 hours ago, France said:

Actually, I'm not sure I know anyone who liked it as a child. Is it like clowns, something that adults think children like?

Well you know one person now 😄. I loved Alice in Wonderland! I was probably heavily influenced by the Disney movie but my dad bought a hardback set of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass for me when I was about seven and they were my prized possession. They felt very grown up. I did actually find them hard to read at that age but I think, because they were challenging, I felt as though I was unlocking new things from it all the time. And I think that’s part of the appeal of them as an adult too. Carroll wrote in so many clever puzzles and references to things he was interested in, it still feels like there are new things to discover!

My sister did think it was ‘too weird’ as well though. Maybe I was just a weird child 😂.