Christmas dinner...

Michelle

Christmas dinner will be cooked by my Mum (I don't even have an oven so I'm going home for the holidays!) and will usually go like this:

Christmas Eve dinner:

Fresh cooked ham (still hot) with chips and veg

Christmas Day breakfast: (cooked by Dad!)

More ham (cold this time) with smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, toast and bucks fizz

Christmas Dinner: (about 5pm Christmas Day)

Massive turkey, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, steamed sprouts and carrots, plus cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon, Mum's special sausage meat stuffing and loads of proper gravy

followed by

Christmas pudding for my Dad and squidgy chocolate sponges for Mum, brother and I (although that's a surprise I'm bringing along)

Christmas dinner is my favourite part of Christmas day :D

Jo xx

Well, I'm a lucky so-&-so - I get 2 lunches - teeheehee!

For Yule (which is this Wednesday) I'll be getting together with a few buddies for a pot-luck dinner where everyone brings something - as there are usually the 3 of us, we usually take a course each & try to out-do each other every year (we change courses every year). on the rare occasion when there's a fourth, it's their job to choose a nice bottle of wine - LOL!

For Christmas, I get together with the reat of my family. This year there'll be myself & Dale, my sister, Leni, & her husband, Russell, my Dad, & possibly our two buddies, John & Katy. on our menu will be the following:

Starters:

Carrot & Orange Soup or Melon Fan.

Main Course:

Choice of either roast turkey or roast beef.

Mashed potaoes & roast potatoes

Sweet potato & swede mash (delicious!)

Baby carrots

Roast parsnip & butternut squash

Skirlie, as well as sage & onion stuffing

Gravy & cranberry sauce

and brussel sprouts for my Dad - he's the only one who'll eat them - LOL!

Dessert:

Choice of either:

Traditional Christmas Pudding with Rum Sauce

Melt-in-the-middle Chocolate pudding with Tia Maria cream

This will all happen at around 1:30-ish.

Later, at about 7:30pm-ish, there'll be a buffet supper with such delicacies as meat & potatoe pie, apple pie, mince pies, Christmas cake, & various party-type nibbles, as the neighbours usually come through.

Mulled wine will be served throughout the day apart from at breakfast (when Dale & I will be having Bucks Fizz with toasted bagels topped with cream cheese & pastrami at around 6:30am - start the day with a bit of booze - LOL!) & lunch (when we'll have champagne to toast each other).

After all that, I will feel like I won't want to eat again for a week, but come Boxing Day, I'll be polishing off more grub & feeling like a complete pig!

Mulled wine will be served throughout the day apart from at breakfast (when Dale & I will be having Bucks Fizz with toasted bagels topped with cream cheese & pastrami at around 6:30am - start the day with a bit of booze - LOL!) & lunch (when we'll have champagne to toast each other).

6.30am!!! Good grief, it's the one day of the year I insist on a lie in !

Because we're not staying here for Christmas, we'l be getting picked up to go to Dad's. We like to have time to open our presents to each other in private before seeing anyone else. We have to get to Dad's early enough to cook lunch from scratch to be ready for 1:30-ish & he lives a 30 minute drive away, so the day starts early. No earlier than usual - I'm up by 6am on weekdays anyway & I'm usually up by 8am on weekends too - busy, busy, busy!

Most of the family dislike turkey, so

Christmas Day:-

Roast Beef

Roast Potatoes with garlic and Rosemary

Parsnips

Carrot

Mangetout

Yorkies

Red wine gravy

Christmas pudding and clotted cream

Boxing Day :-

Lunch - cold buffet

Evening meal :-

lobster - (lovingly prepared by by my husband John, cos I will have wilted by then!!) :santawave:

I really recommend goose for people who are bored of turkey.

Although this year there may be too many in the house for a goose - and I've been trying to find out abuot brining turkeys before cooking them. It sounds like the thing that suddenly changes the bird from bland to wonderful.

I expect it will be roast tatties, beans, a parsnip/carrot mash and sprouts on the table with the goose. I hope we get roast parnsips but I'm not sure there's enough room in the oven.

Also on Christmas Day:

German sweetish wine, maybe a spatlase.

White burgundy

Decent bordeaux

Dessert wine (loupiac/sauternes)

Vintage port.

I discovered today that we are NOT getting our pay early like we expected, but are instead getting it on the same day as usual - the last banking day of the month, which will be the 29th.

Am SOOOOOO annoyed! Could've done with gettign the moey a few days early & being able to get a few last-second things in time for the festivities!

Our Christmas dinner will be for us and my mum, and will just be a usual Sunday roast really. The nice thing is that Glen cooks it, because he likes cooking roasts. Bad thing.. I'll probably get the mess he makes to clean up! lol

So...

Turkey for us, chicken for Glen (fussy sod!)

Roast potatoes and mashed potatoes (he always does both :D )

Parsnips

Sausages in bacon (not usual.. requested by me!)

Variety of veggies

Followed by

Christmas pud for us

Possibly mince pie instead for mum

Probably ice cream for the girls!

:Tantrum:

We don't even know what time we're eating.. late afternoon will probably suit, so that'll mean some sort of snack at lunchtime, whilst we're waiting.

Sausages in bacon (not usual.. requested by me!)

My sister has informed me that she's doing these too, despite the fact that she's demi-vegitarian & won't be eating them herself (bless her little cotton socks!).