Can anyone name the title?

Hi, I'm new here but hoping someone with a wealth of reading behind them may know the book title from my shoddy and limited story description.  It was a book I read 20 years ago but I believe if someone mentions the right name, I'll be able validate it.  I'd love to read it again!

I bought an old, leather bound version of the story and it actually came in a set of two books - I'm unsure if that's important.  I've always thought of it as being a classic or written by a well known or respected author (but that could be because of the leather books).  I think it took place in the late 19th century and was about a young man who reckoned himself a bit of an artist or writer or perhaps a little of both.  He ended up in Paris and struggled for money and all I remember about Paris is he began drinking absinthe because it was fashionable and was the chosen drink of the arty crowd he was hanging around with.  

That's it... that's all I have.  Any ideas?  Thanks