Your Book Activity 2023

12 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Currently reading The Miller's Dance, Winston Graham. Number 9 in the 12 book Poldark series and an annual read.

Love the Poldatk novels. Do you mean you read The Miller's Dance each year, or one of the series?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, muggle not said:

i am reading this book on my computer which I downloaded from the library. I don't like sitting at my computer to read but the poems are worth it. 

Amazon.com: Blanche: Poems of a Blue Ridge Woman: 9781952485435: Ledford, Brenda Kay: Books

Sounds lovely, as do the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Have you read A Walk In the Woods by Bill Bryson? His walking the Appalachian Trail.

1 hour ago, poppy said:

Love the Poldatk novels. Do you mean you read The Miller's Dance each year, or one of the series?

I see what you mean, badly worded on my part. I meant that I read one Poldark novel a year and have now embarked on number 9 in the series of 12, The Miller's Dance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I see what you mean, badly worded on my part. I meant that I read one Poldark novel a year and have now embarked on number 9 in the series of 12, The Miller's Dance.

that's one of my favourite books in the series, I found Stranger from the Sea highly disappointing (all that stuff about steam, zzzzz) and was worried the series had lost it's way a bit, but this one got it right back to how it was before "Stranger".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, poppy said:

Sounds lovely, as do the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Have you read A Walk In the Woods by Bill Bryson? His walking the Appalachian Trail.

I have not read A Walk in the Woods. Will check it out.

i love Blanche's description of life in the Blue Ridge Mountains in poetry form.

• Like 1

I consider myself 'caught up' for the 2023 BCF Book Club Reading challenge, and indeed ahead of myself for this quarters Winter themed challenge. :) Although, for the sake of clarity I should admit to cheating!

@France had recommended Herman Melville's Moby Dick as a Victorian / At Sea / Winter as a means of my fulfilling the last 2 challenges of 2023 , and meeting the current one. Although I did go ahead and purchase this, I know that this monster book (at 500+ pages) is a little out of my reach for now. 

@Hayley then suggested The Frozen Deep by Wilkie Collins. At 70 pages, this story of love, friendship and duty was eminently readable in one sitting. The entire story wears the chill of winter. The sea is the backdrop to most of the story, and it is most definitely Victorian.

Cheat I may be, but I will forgive myself and nestle into the glow of having completed a little reading. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chrissy said:

Cheat I may be, but I will forgive myself and nestle into the glow of having completed a little reading. 

I don’t think that’s cheating! And I’m glad you liked The Frozen Deep :)

6 hours ago, Chrissy said:

@Hayleythen suggested The Frozen Deep by Wilkie Collins. At 70 pages, this story of love, friendship and duty was eminently readable in one sitting. The entire story wears the chill of winter. The sea is the backdrop to most of the story, and it is most definitely Victorian.

I bought this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Brian. unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2023 at 1:47 AM, muggle not said:

I finished reading The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy. McCarthy is the greatest living American writer IMO. His writing is brilliant even though it frequently makes you do some hard thinking. I think he at least is on a level with William Faulkner and may even surpass Faulkner. His dialogue is unsurpassed by any current writer. I am not rating The Passenger however until I read Stella Maris, the 2nd book in the 2 book series. I will re-read this book at some point to fully grasp the point McCarthy is attempting to get across in this deep story.

I'm currently reading The Child of God by Cormac McCarthy and he is indeed a superb writer. Still not sure about whether or not he surpasses Faulkner, imho, but it doesn't really matter. And I didn't realise that he passed away in June 2023. I still have the rest of his books to look forward to.

Edited by lunababymoonchild