Your Book Activity 2023

I have the Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros on hold at the library. The library has 32 copies of the kindle version but I am 92 on the list. The book has a 5 star rating on Amazon and the reviews are really good.

Has anyone read the book?

Just begun Family Ties by Celia Buckmaster, a Dean St Press reprint. The first paragraph leads me to expect I'm going to enjoy it. 😊

Mr. Monsoon was known in the village as "the old gentleman," and nobody minded when he said, "Amen, Amen, Amen," when the prayers got too long on Sunday morning; people knew he had rheumatism, and in any case the Vicar was apt to ramble on and on. He kept the sermons short too by sighing and clearing his throat after a certain time. But when the old Vicar died and a new one came, all this was changed. The old Vicar had always chosen something out of the Old Testament as a text for his sermon, and generally preached about woe and destruction. This was comforting for his congregation, who knew what to expect, and it had suited the tone of his voice, which had been low and quivering and full of poetic emotion. The new Vicar was quite different and spoke about "Conditions in the modern world" in his sermons (with a text taken from the New Testament) and nobody knew what he was driving at. Besides which, he used his normal everyday tone of voice in the pulpit and was apt to say—"And that means You and You and You" (pointing)—which made everyone nervous.

Finished Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston for my tour of the States (Florida), and Chess Story by Stefan Zweig for Reading the World (Austria).  Both really good: 4 stars for the former and 5 stars for the latter.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a hiatus on my part here, and three books down since last posting: October Sky by Hiram Holkham (previously entitled Rocket Boys), The Meaning of Geese by Neil Ascherson, and, finished today, Mr Weston's Good Wine by TF Powys, in chrono order, but also in descending order of enjoyment.  Not sure what moving on to next.

• 3 weeks later...

A few books read since the last post here, the latest, both this week, being  Dictionary People by Sarah Ogilvie, and A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov.  Best of those not covered since my last post was definitely The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams, which is one of the very 6-star reads I've had this year. Not great literature, but a great story, really well meshed in with 'real' history. Loved it!  More detailed comments on my blog thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I read many very good books in 2023 and am thankful. I just read where the Amazon Editors have selected one of the books I read, "The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store", as their choice for book of the year. Another book that i read, "The River We Remember", was also selected as a top choice by their Editors. 

I feel sad though that there will be no more books by Cormac Mccarthy.

• 2 weeks later...