Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Weave

Title of book: Anansi Boys

Author of book: Neil Gaiman

ISBN: 0755305094

Pages: 480

Publisher: Headline Review; New Ed edition (8 May 2006)

Synopsis:

Fat Charlie Nancy is not actually fat. He was fat once but he is definitely not fat now. No, right now Fat Charlie Nancy is angry, confused and more than a little scared - right now his life is spinning out of control, and it is all his dad's fault. If his rotter of an estranged father hadn't dropped dead at a karaoke night, Charlie would still be blissfully unaware that his dad was Anansi, the spider god. He would have no idea that he has a brother called Spider, who is also a god. And there would be no chance that said brother would be trying to take over his life, flat and fiancee, or, to make matters worse, be doing a much better job of it than him. Desperate to reclaim his life, Charlie enlists the help of four more-than-slightly eccentric old ladies and their unique brand of voodoo - and between them they unleash a bitter and twisted force to get rid of Spider. But as darkness descends and badness begins, is Fat Charlie Nancy going to get his life back in one piece or is he about to enter a whole netherworld of pain?

413SXKVMGXL_AA240_.jpg

'Anansi Boys' is the sequel to 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman, but you can read them separately, so I am planning on reading 'American Gods' real soon.

'Anansi Boys' tells the story of Fat Charlie Nancy, who is in fact not fat but has been labelled with the name since his Dad called him that. Fat Charlie's life has consisted of being continually embarrassed by his Dad, who we eventually find out is the Spider God, Anansi. To make matters worse, Fat Charlie is shy, quiet and very unassuming, then his Dad died and everything changes.

Suddenly Fat Charlie finds himself in the realm of the Gods and the adventure really begins.

I thought 'Anansi Boys' was brilliant, I loved all the characters especially Fat Charlie, there was some moments that Fat Charlie experienced which you could relate to (i.e the wrath of embarrassing parents), his relationship with his future mother in law and being stuck in a job that he does not necessary like but feels he must to do it. Fat Charlie was a lovely character.

Read 'Anansi Boys' as soon as you get an opportunity, you will not be disappointed. I for one will be reading a lot more of Neil Gaiman's work.

Rating: 10/10

Excellent review Gyre! I'm going to add both Anansi Boys and American Gods to my wishlist. I'd also like to read Stardust. I already have Good Omens (written with Terry Pratchett) on my TBR pile. Looks like I'll be discovering a new author this year!

• 2 years later...

Neverwhere is a standalone book, as are Stardust and Good Omens; all are excellent. Neverwhere is my own personal favourite of Gaiman's, and Good Omens is pure concentrated genius(es).

I knew Anansi Boys reprised some of American Gods' themes but I didn't realise it was a sequel as such; I need to bump AG back up Mount TBR it seems, as I loved Anansi Boys.

Have read all of these and the Graveyard book is very good its more for younger people but very well written, the version I had was also illustrated so lovely. I really enjoyed Neverwhere it took me ages to want to read it because of the tv version which put me off but in the end i think its one of the best of his.

I'm looking forward to reading this. I really liked 'American Gods' and I love Neil Gaiman's writing so this is a treat in store.

Have read all of these and the Graveyard book is very good its more for younger people but very well written, the version I had was also illustrated so lovely. I really enjoyed Neverwhere it took me ages to want to read it because of the tv version which put me off but in the end i think its one of the best of his.

Ooh I asked this on my reading thread, is the series awful then? .. I so enjoyed the book, it's my favourite Gaiman so far.

It wasn't awful and to be fait I didn't bother with the whole thing but it didn't get the whole atmosphere and strangeness of the book.

Films and TV adaptations hardly ever get it right it's so frustrating. I did like Coraline though .. especially in 3D, though I'm not sure about the invention of Wybie.

It wasn't awful and to be fait I didn't bother with the whole thing but it didn't get the whole atmosphere and strangeness of the book.
In this instance, the series actually came first Pickle :lol: the book was born out of Gaiman not being allowed to keep all sorts of scenes he wanted in the TV series (which he also wrote).

I've not seen the Coraline movie, not sure if I would enjoy it to be honest. I'm a little wary with movies, they don't always come up to par with the book

I did enjoy the book mind, great ideas in it :smile2:

The book is quite short and so they had to expand on it a fair bit .. but I thought it was done well and Neil seemed happy with it.

The animation was stunning, especially in 3-D. Definitely worth renting anyway (there are lots of trailers available of it to give you a taste).

The television series Neverwhere was during a time at the BBC where the budgetary concerns were paramount - they shot the series on videotape rather than film (which made selling it abroad nigh on impossible) and screwed up the FX to a degree that Gaiman had good reason to be annoyed. I am pretty sure that is where the comment comparing the BBC to a sausage factory was originated - no matter what you put in, out comes Doctor Who (at a point where that wasn't considered to be a good thing). And the casting was abysmal as well... And the music...

I've read Stardust, Anansi Boys and Fragile Things, a book of short stories, one after another I'm so impressed with Neil Gaiman. After reading the first two I added him to one of my favourite authors. His characters are delightful, you fall in love with them despite (or maybe because of ) their flaws.

I'll need to give this Neil Gaiman a try. I'm forever hearing his name in descriptions of stories that genuinely interest me.

It's just one of those authors, that, for one reason or another, I haven't sampled yet.

• 1 year later...

Just finished Anansi Boys earlier this evening. I've read American Gods too, but frankly I didn't understand a whole lot of it for some reason. I guess it has to be because I read it over a period of two months, while Anansi Boys took about four to five days.

I liked Anansi Boys a lot, I might give American Gods another try. I'll definitely buy more of Neil Gaiman's works. His writing is sheer brilliance.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see a review of this book and a mention of the previous one. I had never heard of them until a few days ago. I was looking to start a library when my fiancée and I get our new home. I did a google search for leather bound books and found some from Barnes and Noble, this was one of them, both books in one volume actually. I found the cover intriguing enough to read the synopsis and instantly knew it was something I had to read. Unfortunately I had never heard anything about them before, and had no way of knowing if they were worth the time. I have now made up my mind that it will be one of the ones I add to my collection.

• 3 weeks later...

I know its a bit of an old thread but just to add my two pence worth, I really didnt enjoy this book unfortunatly. In fact I actually abandonded it as I jus couldnt see it going anywhere. I'm glad others found enjoyment in it but its definatly not everyones cup of tea!

Edited by shelley.s