Quotes

Hux

I'm reading 'As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning' and was tickled by a particular line...

"The woman asked me in French if I was German, and I replied in Spanish that I was English."

It occurred to me that there isn't a section here to post quotes (that I can see) so I thought I'd start this thread. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hux said:

I'm reading 'As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning' and was tickled by a particular line...

"The woman asked me in French if I was German, and I replied in Spanish that I was English."

It occurred to me that there isn't a section here to post quotes (that I can see) so I thought I'd start this thread. 

Funny! Would be great to be able to do that 😊 Loved this book.

Though not exactly a quote, the title of the book 'The Wind Cannot Read' by Richard Mason is taken from a Japanese poem, "Though on the sign it is written: 'Don't pluck these blossoms'–it is useless against the wind, which cannot read”. It appears in the frontispiece.

• Like 1

Great idea. I like these :

........let me but preserve my presence of mind and resolution, and when the moment for action comes I shall triumph over every obstacle. Fragment from Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Doctor Carfax considered a moment, as though endeavouring to recapture an experience blunted by time, whose fragrance now lay stored in memory's labyrinth like a flower pressed between the pages of a book. Fragment from Castle Dor, Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch and Daphne du Maurier

Arthur Schopenhauer once wrote, “One can never read too little of bad, or too much of good books: bad books are intellectual poison; they destroy the mind.”

Life is much too short to finish a bad book. You need to be ruthless and heartless. Don’t let sunk costs guilt you into wasting your time. Farnam Street Blog

• 1 year later...

“Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It's that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless."

The Sheltering Sky - Paul Bowles

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, poppy said:

Though not exactly a quote, the title of the book 'The Wind Cannot Read' by Richard Mason is taken from a Japanese poem, "Though on the sign it is written: 'Don't pluck these blossoms'–it is useless against the wind, which cannot read”. It appears in the frontispiece.

I like this poem, as well as japanese/chinese poetry and proverbs. The author is Ryōkan Taigu, an 18th century calligrapher and monk, which as we know is code for warrior.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 1:25 AM, Hux said:

Was that Laurie Lee?