Book recommendations?

Hello all, I'm new here and I'm glad I found a space to discuss books with everyone. After a three year hiatus I have finally gotten back into reading. I'm currently reading The Hunger Games, in light of the new movie that is going to come out sometime next year. I'm looking for more book recommendations in order to branch out. I typically read dystopian books, or novels that are grounded in realism. I open to pretty much anything. For my next book series I will be reading Dune (as I was gifted the books years ago and never got around to reading it). Thank you in advance for recommendations.

I read all of the original Frank Herbert 'Dune' series many years back, but have never attempted the ones written by his son. I loved them and have re-read them a couple of times, but still prefer the David Lynch film to the newer one; yes, it made cuts and slight changes to the plot, but overall it felt 'right' to me,where the new version failed across the board on so many levels.

Have you read the 'Gaia' Trilogy by John Varley? (Titan, Wizard and Demon, repectively) I think you may like them. And in fact, anything of John Varleys, as he is a somewhat overlooked writer (IMO) who should reach a far wider audience!

• Like 1

I've purposely avoided both Dune adaptations so I can read the books, but I've heard good and bad things about both movies. I've just recently gotten into fantasy, specifically adult fantasy thanks to finishing  Game of Thrones recently (I'll be buying those books soon). I've never really cared for YA fantasy, and I kind of ended up reading dystopian books because of my personal boycott. I haven't heard of Gaia but I will look into it, I think adult fantasy is the way to go for me and reading in the future. Thakns for the recommendation.

If you are enjoying fantasy novels, I can recommend The Witcher series  (or, rather, the two books I've read so far!)

Also, Jen Williams is worth checking out. The Copper Cat trilogy is pretty good, and her second trilogy won her at least one British Fantasy author of the year award. 

Both are most definitely adult, and not YA.

• Like 1