Chess

Brian.

I was at a bit of a loss of where to put this topic as I'm not sure it really fits the description of a sport but here seemed the best fit.

Anyone else play or have an interest in Chess? I find it pretty fascinating and follow the professional game in a very loose way. I do play but very badly. There has been a cheating scandal hitting a lot of the mainstream press recently which has brought unwanted attention to the game, a lot of the reporting has been pretty inaccurate as well.

I think that you could call the professional game a sport.

I got really interested when it was broadcast on TV many years ago now but don't follow the professional game at all. I did see the cheating scandal though and that brought it back to may attention.

I don't play and if I was to take it up it would need to be an app or online.

I do find it interesting

Edited by lunababymoonchild

9 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I don't play and if I was to take it up it would need to be an app or online.

I do find it interesting

Although classic over the board chess is still where the biggest prestige is, online is chess is where it's at these days. I play 99% online and the resources available are almost endless. There are many GM's who stream online games on Twitch and YouTube and do educational videos. One thing that has definitely helped boost the game online is the faster forms of the game. Bullet (1 min), Blitz (3 min), and Rapid (10 min) games are hugely popular although I prefer the much slower Daily version where you have up to 24 hours to make each move. Most players play much faster than this but it does allow you to think things over without time pressure.

53 minutes ago, Brian. said:

Although classic over the board chess is still where the biggest prestige is, online is chess is where it's at these days. I play 99% online and the resources available are almost endless. There are many GM's who stream online games on Twitch and YouTube and do educational videos. One thing that has definitely helped boost the game online is the faster forms of the game. Bullet (1 min), Blitz (3 min), and Rapid (10 min) games are hugely popular although I prefer the much slower Daily version where you have up to 24 hours to make each move. Most players play much faster than this but it does allow you to think things over without time pressure.

I had no idea!

I played chess when I was young, but was absolutely useless. I'm unable to plan more than two moves ahead, I seem to remember my brother always beating me. I have the same problem with mental arithmetic.

I very much enjoyed a recent Netflix series called The Queen's Gambit about a very talented female chess player. Although fictional it was loosely based on the US chessmaster, Bobby Fischer and I believe the games played in the film were genuine.