Victober 22 Group Read

lunababymoonchild

Today's poems :

I Wandered As Lonely As A Cloud, William Wordsworth (not strictly Victorian being published in 1815). My mother used to recite this of a morning in the worst Irish accent she could muster in order to get me out of bed to go to school. I never had any trouble getting out of bed in the morning (as she knew full well) and it was always my father who begged her to stop. When I read it now that's what I hear. Many years later my father stitched it for me as a present, it's on my wall to this day. 

Robert Louis Stevenson, The Jabberwocky and The Walrus and the Carpenter 

W B Yeats, The Lake Isle of Innisfree. Another my mother favoured but did not recite, bad Irish accent or not.

I read the first of the short stories from In a Glass Darkly, called Green Tea. I am not sure what to make of it. Slightly Tales of the Unexpected, but Victorian. I have started The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler. It has a cynical tone.

21 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Today's poems :

I Wandered As Lonely As A Cloud, William Wordsworth (not strictly Victorian being published in 1815). My mother used to recite this of a morning in the worst Irish accent she could muster in order to get me out of bed to go to school. I never had any trouble getting out of bed in the morning (as she knew full well) and it was always my father who begged her to stop. When I read it now that's what I hear. Many years later my father stitched it for me as a present, it's on my wall to this day. 

Robert Louis Stevenson, The Jabberwocky and The Walrus and the Carpenter 

W B Yeats, The Lake Isle of Innisfree. Another my mother favoured but did not recite, bad Irish accent or not.

What a nice mum and dad you had.

Have abandoned The Warden. Read 9 chapters and that's it for me. Have decided to embark on a reading of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Hiawatha, which is a Victorian poem and absolutely epic - about 292 pages long, my copy. I know a fragment of it off by heart but have never read the whole thing so that's my challenge.

13 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Have abandoned The Warden. Read 9 chapters and that's it for me. Have decided to embark on a reading of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Hiawatha, which is a Victorian poem and absolutely epic - about 292 pages long, my copy. I know a fragment of it off by heart but have never read the whole thing so that's my challenge.

292 pages!

I have read The Warden. I thought it was quite good and rather different.

• Like 1

Regarding the Owl and the Pussycat animation. I was quite impressed with that. Gil Manor and Avital Manor who animated it appear to be Israelis, but the reader did not sound Israeli. The reading comes from this site:

https://librivox.org/

There were twenty-one readings they could have picked.

I would not have said the musical accompaniment was the most sophisticated ever. I expect it is just strumming a guitar, but it works.

6 hours ago, KEV67 said:

Regarding the Owl and the Pussycat animation. I was quite impressed with that. Gil Manor and Avital Manor who animated it appear to be Israelis, but the reader did not sound Israeli. The reading comes from this site:

https://librivox.org/

There were twenty-one readings they could have picked.

I would not have said the musical accompaniment was the most sophisticated ever. I expect it is just strumming a guitar, but it works.

Did not know that was there, thank you.

I enjoyed the animation I thought it entertaining.

21 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Thoroughly enjoying the epic Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.  It's very long but keeps to the same rythmn.

Have you seen Lewis Carroll's poem 'Hiawatha'? It hasn't actually got anything to do with the original, it's a funny poem about a photographer (who is named Hiawatha), but it's in the same rhythm as the 'Song of Hiawatha'...

https://classic-literature.co.uk/lewis-carroll-hiawathas-photographing-poem/

(It says it was written or published in 2017 at the top of the page for some reason - I guess that's when someone created the page! It was actually published in 1857, I think, in a magazine.)

I made my final decision by the way and decided to go for In a Glass Darkly as well :) 

12 hours ago, Hayley said:

Have you seen Lewis Carroll's poem 'Hiawatha'? It hasn't actually got anything to do with the original, it's a funny poem about a photographer (who is named Hiawatha), but it's in the same rhythm as the 'Song of Hiawatha'...

https://classic-literature.co.uk/lewis-carroll-hiawathas-photographing-poem/

(It says it was written or published in 2017 at the top of the page for some reason - I guess that's when someone created the page! It was actually published in 1857, I think, in a magazine.)

I made my final decision by the way and decided to go for In a Glass Darkly as well :) 

No I haven't heard of that, thank you.

Enjoy In a Glass Darkly.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

I am enjoying The Way of All Flesh, but I am making heavy weather of In a Glass Darkly. I see the last story of In a Glass Darkly is Carmilla, which I have already read, and which was great. I suspect the other stories are not as good. Novellas can be good, but I am just not sure about short stories.

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

Just spotted this blog post for anyone who might want to find another gothic read! They’re not all Victorian but quite a few are:

https://romancingthegothic.com/2022/10/12/101-gothic-reads-you-might-enjoy/

Thanks for that, it looks very interesting.

I'm still reading Hiawatha and enjoying it very much.

Samuel Butler is skewering cant and hypocrisy among the Victorian clergy. One vicar, Thomas Pontifex, straps his child because he cannot pronounce 'come'. He keeps saying 'tum'. Later the clergyman and the narrator go to buy some eggs from a local woman. The woman's child steps on an egg, and she tells him off by saying he had broken a pretty egg and cost her a penny. The vicar's son wants to know why he wasn't whipped.