Hello, All.

Guest Scribbla

Guest Scribbla

Hello, fellow-bookworms. Very nice to be here. As well as reading, I do a little bit of writing for my own amusement. My tastes may differ from some of you, being those of an older gent. But I'm always keen to find new things to read, and on a site like this, I expect there will be lots of suggestions.

S.   

Guest Scribbla
On 7/9/2022 at 4:31 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

Hello and welcome to the board. Please feel free to join in anything that takes your fancy

Thanks, Luna. I will.

Guest Scribbla
19 hours ago, Hayley said:

Hi, welcome to the forum! We have members of a broad age range and very varied reading tastes, so I'm sure you will find people with similar tastes :)

Thanks, Hayley. I'm looking forward to that.  :)

Guest Scribbla

Thanks, Poppy. 

If my amateur scribblings ever get nearly good enough for sharing, I'll share them here. But don't hold your breath! :) 

Actually OLDER than the profile pic! But in fairness, that is a sculpture of a forty year old victorian criminal who tunelled out of our local Gaol (now defunct) and the sculpture was only comissioned in the 1980s. There are about twenty of these 'heads' peering from the earth, around a tree, which is roughly where the original escape tunnel came out!

I did not know that about your profile picture timebug!! I would also like more information/ pictures if you have them :lol:.

On 14/07/2022 at 6:45 AM, Scribbla said:

If my amateur scribblings ever get nearly good enough for sharing, I'll share them here. But don't hold your breath! :) 

As you now have ten posts you can access the Writer’s Corner :). It’s been quiet for a while but we have plans for it…

I have a couple of pics that my son took, somewhere on my hard drive! I will try and find them and post them. As I said, the Gaolbreak was in Victorian/Edwardian times, and a group of convicts managed to dig a tunnel out of the Gaol. They surfaced somewhere around where a ree now grows

(records are very patchy for the period!) and a few years back, a local artist was commissioned to create a memorial sculpture of the event. He chose to model a bunch of 'heads' peering up out of the ground,around where the tree now grows. It is a small but impressive display, often totally missed by passers by, who fail to even notice it!

And in a flash, I found one pic! My son took a few, but this is the only one I can find so far.And not nearly as many heads on show,as I remembered. But then, memory came back, and I recalled that there are a few more heads on the other side of the tree (the roadside!) which cannot be seen here, but I know my son took quite a few shots, I will continue to search,and if I find anything good, will post it!

Heads.JPG

3 hours ago, timebug said:

And in a flash, I found one pic! My son took a few, but this is the only one I can find so far.And not nearly as many heads on show,as I remembered. But then, memory came back, and I recalled that there are a few more heads on the other side of the tree (the roadside!) which cannot be seen here, but I know my son took quite a few shots, I will continue to search,and if I find anything good, will post it!

Heads.JPG

That looks absolutely fascinating, timebug.  I had no idea that your avatar was so meaningful. Thanks for posting.

In fact, I have done a quick Google search, and the local 'legend' tells of the Gaolbreak, but the facts are somewhat different! (as with most local tales, I suppose) I found this online:

Reform Bill Heads of Friargate
These somewhat eerie looking heads Designed by Timothy Clapcott Show one of Derby’s many story’s to had, The "Reform Bill Heads" (more often known as the "Friar Gate Heads") commemorate the Reform Bill riots of 1831 during which the people of Derby took to the streets to demand the right to vote. The heads in this sculpture capture one of the best known events of that night, depicting the rioters breaking into the Goal and the condemned men coming up into the light escaping from the underground cells.

And a YouTube video of the 'Heads'....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocjE_-iSQ9s

I think that makes them even better! What an interesting thing! Although I have to agree with Madeline, they do look quite creepy. Imagine coming across them at night without expecting it! 

(Also, is it just me or does the tallest central head look a bit like Sir Ian McKellen!?)

Guest Scribbla

"(Also, is it just me or does the tallest central head look a bit like Sir Ian McKellen!?)"

Exactly what I was thinking, Hayley!

Edited by Scribbla

Guest Scribbla
On 7/16/2022 at 6:58 AM, timebug said:

In fact, I have done a quick Google search, and the local 'legend' tells of the Gaolbreak, but the facts are somewhat different! (as with most local tales, I suppose) I found this online:

And a YouTube video of the 'Heads'....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocjE_-iSQ9s

I didn't see your "head" in that video, Timebug. 

Guest Scribbla
On 7/15/2022 at 10:48 PM, Hayley said:

I did not know that about your profile picture timebug!! I would also like more information/ pictures if you have them :lol:.

As you now have ten posts you can access the Writer’s Corner :). It’s been quiet for a while but we have plans for it…

Thanks for that, Hayley.