What Are You Up To Today?

Virginia

I went out and voted this morning. I even did some poll watching, such as it was. It was pretty early and not a lot of voter traffic. I called it a day at 0900. Ran into the grocery store to pick up today's dinner and steak for my breakfast.  Got home, cooked, changed clothes. I then collected my four legged son and took him for a walk at the park. Hubby needed me to pick up brake pads for the Rover. I ran into the beauty store for some "magic wrinkle cream" and a few books from the bookstore. I'm now home and this is where I plan to be the remainder of the week.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:45 PM, Brian. said:

It should say PC. 

How did the build go!? 

@Virginia you had a very productive day! What books did you get!?

I don’t really have anything to share today, I had a very boring day with a lot of work in it 🥲. Pyjamas time now though! 

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

How did the build go!? 

@Virginia you had a very productive day! What books did you get!?

I don’t really have anything to share today, I had a very boring day with a lot of work in it 🥲. Pyjamas time now though! 

Mostly ok. I’ve got it up and running but I’m having issues getting an LCD display on the water cooling pump to work. It seems to be a common issue so I’ll have to try again tomorrow. I also need to stress test the system before I throw any heavy processing or graphics tasks at it.

• 3 weeks later...

This morning I ran my first race for quite a few years, a MoRunning 5k for charity. I wasn't expecting to perform particularly well and I was right, but somehow still managed to come in 4th overall. We were blessed with the perfect weather for it which always makes it more enjoyable.

2 hours ago, Hux said:

Coughing and blowing my nose. Taking time of work and losing money. Watching the World Cup.

Oh no. Cold or Covid?

I prepared my canvas for my sew-your-own bag in Bargello. I now need to prepare the wool and decide on a pattern. Or decide on a pattern and then prepare the wool.

Managed to watch PBS channel on a series on Mental Health, fascinating.

14 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Oh no. Cold or Covid?

I prepared my canvas for my sew-your-own bag in Bargello. I now need to prepare the wool and decide on a pattern. Or decide on a pattern and then prepare the wool.

Managed to watch PBS channel on a series on Mental Health, fascinating.

Not sure. How do you tell without getting a test?

I'm putting it down as a standard cold.

I hope you are fully recovered now @Hux

Well done @Brian.. I'm glad the weather behaved itself for you. 

I met my great-niece for the first time yesterday. She is two, and an absolute sweetie. It was also lovely to catch up with my nephew and his lovely wife. They currently live in U.A.E. so it's been a few years since I have seen them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I haven’t been around for the last couple of weeks, work has been a nightmare!

We are inundated with patients having strep throat/scarlet fever and respiratory illnesses and it has been getting more and more hectic from one day to the next. The joys of the first proper winter without masks; everyone’s immune system is shot to pieces and the bugs are winning!

On a happier note, I am off work this week so am spending my days curled up under a blanket reading, listening to music and watching Christmas movies. Perfect. I am wanting to spend a little bit of time over the next couple of days working on The Unread Shelf Project which kicks off January 1st though so more on that later!

I've noticed that too re immune systems - first time I went on public transport without a mask (and it wasn't that busy) - got Covid, went on public transport again last week and now have a cold.... so many places have also stopped having hand sanitisers by the door, so I keep wipes with me and  try to remember to use them whenever I come out of a shop, though I think public transport is probably the main "super spreading" culprit.

Enjoy your duvet break!

I work within the NHS so am constantly being hit with germs…my father calls my place of work the germ factory. Usually, all our immune systems are pretty darn good but as we’ve all been protected so much over the last couple of years it’s a bit of a concern. We’ve already had a couple of people off this winter with bad bouts of flu which plays havoc with schedules etc. but what can you do? We all knew this was going to happen.

Plus, we’re all having to deal with the increased price of energy, which means everyone’s avoiding putting the heating on as much as possible, which means they are more susceptible to bugs etc. particularly if they already suffer from a respiratory disease. It’s a lose-lose situation!

The next few months are going to be tough for everyone.

Edited by Kudz

My brother gave me the cold, the first one I've had in years. You wouldn't know it though but I just don't trust myself to drive in this frosty weather so we (my father can't go out without me, I'm his carer. Since he prefers to lie in his bed for most of the day he's no bothered) are staying in. My brother went back to work today.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m back at work tomorrow after the Christmas break and I’m not looking forward to it at all. I have a feeling a couple of my colleagues will be phoning in sick, meaning I may have to work extra hours, which will just suck! Still, I do have another 4-day weekend coming up so I shouldn’t really complain. I also have absolutely no plans for it which means come Saturday I can curl up and hibernate for a few days; hoping to get lots of reading done.

Regarding my plans for today; not much to be honest. I have a couple of things I need to do online regarding a book club I am hosting next year with a couple of IRL friends, but other than that I’m going to be taking it easy today. I might even try and squeeze in a couple more Christmas movies.

Today I'll be wrestling with my knitting - I learned to knit when I was four and have knitted baby clothes and a soft toy, but I have now embarked on a shawl and it's riddled with errors that I will have to bodge to see if I can make it look OK. As a learning curve though, it's priceless - and finishing off my reading. I also have a lot of Christmas TV that I recorded that I would like to see.

ETA I also have a workshop (video tutorial and PDFs) on knitting that I paid for and would like to see.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

1 hour ago, timebug said:

Actually seeing a 'live' Doctor face to face today for the first time in years! Following a Covid attack which tested negative BTW! I have had a strep throat for several weeks. It is not a serious illness, just a nuisance and a bother!

I hope it goes well. We haven't seen a doctor face to face for years either. Our practice had stopped doing face to face consultations long before the Covid out break.

I've had that cold/throat thing for 2 weeks now, it's only really in the last few days  that it's finally started to  subside, still have the tickly cough a bit though.  As Timebug says, it's not bad but really annoying!  Hope you feel better soon.

On a more mundane note, now  that the bank hols are over for a few days I have a list of things to do, like going to the rubbish dump (not today as it's pouring with rain and i have a lot of garden stuff to take which will be wet and soggy, so will have to hope it dries out soon, and I might need to do 2 journeys anyway), getting my flu jab (was going to get it then came down with the above mentioned cough/cold), and other stuff like catching up with wild bird food shopping, bank etc.

I've spent the last few days prepping for the new year. I took down the decorations the day after Christmas and spent a couple of days filing in the new planner and setting up the new budget. I love the feeling of accomplishment coming into a new year. I'm also preparing for our anniversary cruise to Cozumel at the end of the month.