Trying to find titles and authors of 2 books I read as a child please

Good afternoon, 

I'm new here, this is my first post so please be gentle with me.

I'm trying to find out the title of two books I read as a child as I would really like to put them on my bookshelf....... this is also a long shot as I can't really give you too much information as I only have limited memory of them.

I'm 58 years of age.

Book 1........ when I was about 7 I always used to keep borrowing this book from the library, so much that the librarians used to laugh and say not again.

It was a hard backed book, I remeber the cover being a darkist blue and a young female child (with short curly hair) looking up at something. The book wasn't set in England as the names weren't English and I think they lived in some sort of dirt huts. The young girl was born blind and when she reached the age of about 2 this begger man used to come and borrow her, the family were poor and her dress was like rags to beg in the streets for money, he used to get cross with her sometimes as she didn't want to sit still with her arms streched out face turned towards the sky so people could see she was blind.

That's all I can remember so I know I may never ever find out the title and author etc... but thanking you in advance for reading.

Book 2....... last year at primary school so would still be about 7 (LOL). Every Friday afternoon our teacher would read to us, (she did read us the Moonies which was great). This book was all about a little wooden horse and his adventures. Again not much to go on, the only part that sticks in my mind is the wooden horse either got lost/was mislaid/ thrown away by accident and he ended up in the gutter which had water in it so he floated away down the gutter.

I would really like to find both of these books or just one to read again, I know this will be a needle in a haystack but someone may have read either of the books and may be able to help me in my quest.

Thank you so much for reading

2 hours ago, Suzanne said:

Book 2....... last year at primary school so would still be about 7 (LOL). Every Friday afternoon our teacher would read to us, (she did read us the Moonies which was great). This book was all about a little wooden horse and his adventures.

Could this one be ‘The Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse’ by Ursula Moray Williams?

YES YES... just been to look on good old Amazon, and yes that is the one, I now remeber the little wooden horse working in the coal mine when reading the blur.

Thank you so much, will be getting hubby to order a copy for me.

Let's see if anyone can find the other book for me.

You have made my day, thank you again