Louise's Books 2008

Louiseog

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the first ten Agatha Raisins towards the end of last year and I was completely hooked. I've just finished the Curious Curate, so the Haunted House will be next.

I missed this one out and am a bit further on I think they get better!

Death at Wentwater Court Carola Dunn easy murder mystery set in an Edwardian country house.

The Book Thief

Which I was so looking forward to, saved it for hols so I could have time to read it and........ just cannot get into it at all! Its on the floor of the bathroom and it'll stay there for a bit, will try again later but have read Chart Throb by Ben Elton which was much more for the mood I'm in, his usual sharp wit aimed at the X Factor this time.

Thinking now

Edited by Louiseog

Rumours of a Hurricane Tim Lott, thanks H and D for the heads up, liked this, sad though!.

The Delivery Room - Sylvia Brownrigg

It is 1998. In the safe haven of her North London flat, in a room her husband has ironically dubbed the Delivery Room Serbian therapist, Mira Braverman listens to the stories of her troubled patients. As the novel unfolds, Mira discovers she is not as distant from their pain as she might once have been: her husband Peter struggles with illness, NATO's threats against her country grow more serious, and submerged truths from her own past seem likely to erupt.

Tightly written, few characters lots and lots of themes from parenthood, war, cancer - too much for me

Edited by Louiseog

Saumya Balsari The Cambridge Curry Club

This was really good, a small group of women working in a charity shop in Cambridge, the story of their lives and those with whom they came into contact. very clever no unsympathetic characters well drawn and real.

Edited by Louiseog

I really needed a good belly laugh tonight and that just did it thanks :roll:

Made me chuckle and could not hink of a good riposte, have always read fast and do not savour book, love the story mainly and tend not to dwell on them, often books that I thought I didn't like stay with me and I find I did!

When really stressed I speed up! (which is why I'm flying at the moment)

Julius Winsome - Gerald Donovan

Here's what I wrote elsewhere

It was bleak and sparse, a bit like his life really. Loved the language, but did not find a sympathetic character in the whole story and feel curiously unmoved about any of the quite gruesome violence. (Even Hobbes who I felt I did not know well enough!)

Have just read Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell and that was similar, tight storyline, tough characters who did not move me but beautifully written even if the subject was unpalatable.

Updating, Blood of Flowers was great, the tale of carpet makers in Iran and the activities of one woman, quite steamy at times !!!:) But a good story, strong characters and easy to read.

Matchmaker of Perigord Julia Stuart, the story of a mad French country town, lots of food, lots of funny events around matchmaking and lovely characters.

Ken Follett sequel to Pillar of Earth and very much the same!

Agatha Raisin one and cannot remember the name!

Do these need to be read in order? There was one in our Children's Society charity shop for 75p on Tuesday (it looked brand new) but it was about number 12th!

Paullina Simons The Girl in Times Square

I started this but didn't get very far into it - can't remember why! I'll be interested to see how you find it to see if I should pick it up again