A Dystopian World - Ongoing Blog

Legends & Lattes – Travis Baldree

(fantasy, cosy, slice of life)

61242426.thumb.jpg.1875c6b585699cf7f409e0cbfc8a505b.jpg

3.75/5

Viv is an orc who no longer wants a life of battles and bloodshed and so she decides to retire from that life and open up a coffee shop. The only problem is, that no one in the city has ever heard of coffee and therefore Viv needs to convince the locals that its worth trying.

This book just felt like a warm hug. Its very low stakes, not at all action packed and is just a nice easy, read. There are antagonists and a low level of threat at times but overall, the main premise of the book is Viv trying to live the quiet life. I loved the group of friends she makes and there is a nice sense of found family, a trope that I absolutely love.

I would definitely recommend this book if you are looking for something easy going, but certainly not if you want something gripping and adventurous!

Opening line: Viv buried her great sword in the Scalvert’s skull with a meaty crunch.

Format: audio book

296 pages

Published in 2022

Edited by Goose

The Luna Chronicles – (#1 Cinder, #2 Scarlet, #3 Cress, #4 Winter & #4.5 Stars Above) - Marissa Meyer

(YA, re-telling, sci-fi)

Cinder.jpg.2661af97c52fd27f8169903a00ba3141.jpgScarlet.thumb.jpg.6f3945686fc253f5c213a9e5f2d7d3bc.jpgCress.thumb.jpg.8abeee03d37a32865ae219c59e5acc7a.jpgWinter.thumb.jpg.19dc83b937be33983e819c7e841acb75.jpgStarsAbove.thumb.jpg.782a4274a1637b6991015f758d5f1fca.jpg

Book 1 3.75/5

Book 2 3.5/5

Book 3 3.75/5

Book 4 3.75/5

Book 4.5 3.25/5

The main character Cinder is a cyborg who unwillingly gets mixed up in the dangerous politics between earth and the moon. The people who live on the moon - now renamed as Luna – have developed the ability to manipulate the thoughts, actions and visions of those around them, and their queen wants to use this ability to help her take over planet earth.

I really enjoyed this series, each book is a loose retelling of a well-known fairy tale, Cinder is Cinderella, Scarlet is Little Red Riding Hood, Cress is Rapunzel and Winter is Snow White. Each book introduces a few new characters, mainly the one the book is named after, but they all follow the same storyline. I liked this way of doing a series as it kept it feeling fresh with each new book, I can sometimes get a bit bored by the end of a series but I couldn’t put this one down! It also has my favourite trope of found family so it was always going to be a winner!

The only element that I wasn’t so keen on at first was the ability that the Luna people had developed. One of my biggest pet peeves is when writers include a magical element in a setting that is being presented as real world. Now, this Luna ability is not presented as a magical ability, instead that the Luna’s are able to manipulate people’s bioelectricity, however I think Meyer just didn’t manage to convince me on its legitimacy. As the series progressed it bothered me less, most likely because I had accepted it as a part of the story but over all I just think it wasn’t explained enough and I felt it just gave the Luna’s too much of an advantage over others for it to seem plausible.

Over all I would recommend this series. I really like re-tellings anyway but I think even if you are usually put off by this, I would still give it a go. The stories have enough substance themselves that you forget it’s a re-telling, it’s not until something happens that’s a key part of the original fairy tale that you remember what it is based on. Book #4.5 is not technically a part of the series, it’s a collection of 9 short stories which are a mixture of prequels to Cinder, different perspectives, a completely new character and one which is an epilogue to Winter. You don’t need to read Stars Above, I just felt like I wasn’t quite ready to stop reading and these short stories finished it off nicely for me.

Opening line: The screw through Cinder’s ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.

Book 1 – 400 pages

Book 2 – 454 pages

Book 3 – 566 pages

Book 4 – 832 pages

Book 4.5 – 400 pages

Published in 2012 – 2016

Edited by Goose

• 1 month later...

Emily Wilde’s Encyclopaedia of Faeries – Heather Fawcett

(fantasy, fae, whimsical)

EmilyWildesEncyclopaediaofFaeries.jpg.f30259ba4a142c9ad7a696276e871314.jpg

4.5/5

Emily is a dryadologist – someone who studies faeries – and has travelled to a village in Norway in order to study the local fae, and to continue working on her encyclopaedia of them. Emily has no interest in getting to know the locals and is focussed on her studies, however she finds her nose is put out of joint when her fellow academic, the charming Wendell Bambleby, arrives to assist her with her research.

I really enjoyed this book. It took me a couple of attempts to read it (which I think is more so because I had other books I was also reading) but when I finally decided to focus on getting it read, I loved it. The main thing I liked was how the fae were presented, they are very connected to the landscape in both their magic and their form, and they are often wicked and untrustworthy. I liked both the characters of Emily and Wendell and really enjoyed reading their interactions. The blurb of the book alludes to a romance which initially put me off a bit however this is really not a focus of the story, not until very close to the end and it’s not how I imagine a typical romance is written.

I was hoping that the book would include a few more different species of fae however I wasn’t disappointed overall. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has a love for faeries.

Opening line: Shadow is not at all happy with me.

Format: ebook

344 pages

Published in 2023

Edited by Goose

The Luminaries – Susan Dennard

(YA, urban-fantasy, monsters)

TheLuminaries.thumb.jpg.9d322d3e3cc7435cf20fc2fe98f61b24.jpg

3.25/5

The Luminaries is set in a town that is haunted by Nightmares that appear in the forest each night. The people of the town are protected by an order called the Luminaries, people who enter the forest each night to hunt and kill Nightmares. Winne has just turned sixteen which now means she can enter the trials to become a luminary and at the same time hopefully win back her family’s place in the town after they were shunned for her father’s betrayal.

I didn’t realise how disappointed I was in this book until after I had finished it. The idea really intrigued me as I love books that contain lots of different magical creatures/monsters, however the writing and characters ruined it for me. Winne’s character was pretty flat, there was nothing about her that was interesting or engaging and this extended to most of the other characters too. Another aspect that frustrated me was that there is a new, unknown Nightmare that, even though other hunters go into the forest all the time and Winne has only been about three times, Winne sees multiple times. Also, no one (except two people) believe her that the Nightmare exists and this just feels very lazy writing. I don’t understand why someone wouldn’t at least listen to Winne rather than just completely shutting her down.

I appreciate this is a series however none of the main plot points come to any resolution, or even that Winne has made any progress with regards to them (other than maybe the mystery surrounding her dad, but this is literally just a something we are told in one of the last lines of the book).

I don’t know, maybe I need to read the next book to understand better but unfortunately, I don’t think I could make it through another book with those characters. The premise had a lot of potential but I just don’t feel it was executed well, I appreciate it’s a YA but this doesn’t mean writing needs to be bad.

Opening line: They say that spring never comes to Hemlock Falls.

294 pages

Published in 2022

Edited by Goose

The Tea Dragon Society – Kay O'Neill

(graphic novel, cosy, heart-warming)

TheTeaDragonSociety.thumb.jpg.77204fdeb902005d73142f03d0e38ecc.jpg

3.75/5

The Tea Dragon Society is a cute little graphic novel about Greta who learns the ancient practice of caring for tea dragons and using their leaves and flowers to make tea with magical properties.

There's not an awful lot to say about this book really, its just sweet and cosy, with beautiful artwork. I especially liked that at the end there is a little care guide for the different tea dragons e.g. the ginger tea dragon, the camomile tea dragon and the rooibos tea dragon.

Opening line: Once upon a time, blacksmiths were as important as magicians.

71 pages

Published in 2017

Edited by Goose
  • Like 1

The Time Machine – H. G. Wells

(sci-fi, classic, speculative)

TheTimeMachine.jpg.f69b2b4bef28d88087a19facec5d974e.jpg

3.5/5

An unnamed time traveller tells the story of his recent journey 800,000 years into the future to a group of sceptical listeners. While in the future the time traveller meets two new races of humanity, both that are now far removed from what we would recognise as human.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, particularly as it was published in 1895. There is absolutely nothing wrong with older books, some of my favourites are fairly old, however from experience I know I often find the way books were written back then not as appealing to me as more modern writing. However, I was really captivated and finished the book almost in one sitting.

The time traveller meets two races who are very different from current humans and also very different from each other, even though they share ancestry. The book very clearly gives commentary, through these races, on the divide between the classes in our own society. The rich and well-off live lives of luxury and rely on the workers to provide all they need. I found this an intriguing way of exploring this theme.

I am aware that Wells is often considered as the father of science fiction and that this book has become a classic within the genre and after reading it I can definitely see why.

Opening line: The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.

121 pages

Published in 1895

Edited by Goose

Faeries of the Faultlines – Iris Compiet

(illustrated, fae, enchanting)

FaeriesoftheFaultlines.thumb.jpg.72ed30943c8f5db2cf0bfa774e11ef67.jpg

5/5

Faeries of the Faultlines is an illustration book containing artwork of many different magical creatures, along with pieces of information and stories about them.

The artwork in this book is absolutely stunning and captures exactly how I imagine creatures from the magical world to look. I often find that creatures like faeries and elves are made to look cute and beautiful which, although I appreciate is most likely because these characters are often found in children’s stories etc, I prefer it when they are depicted less this way. Its hard to explain without pictures but the creatures have a sharpness to them, are very connected to nature and not all of them are kind.

I like to collect magical creature encyclopaedia/bestiary books that have illustrations and information about the creatures and this is one of my favourites I have so far. I don’t think I will ever grow out of faeries and magical creatures and reading and learning about them!

Opening line: Within the pages of this book, you will find paintings, sketches, and short stories that I, Iris Compiet, collected on my travels through a place I’ve come to know as the Faultlines.

Format: print

184 pages

Published in 2018

Edited by Goose
  • Like 1

Piranesi – Susanna Clarke

(dream-like, literary, mysterious)

Piranesi.jpg.c188491b398e6665835f05abebd8a7e1.jpg

4.75/5

Piranesi lives in an endlessly large house full of huge halls and vestibules, some containing oceans and waters subject to tides whilst others contain skies, clouds and birds. Piranesi has only ever known this world and believes that he and only one other person inhabit it, however, gradually Piranesi begins to learn things that make him question his sanity as well as the truth of the house he lives in.

I was gripped by this book, which surprised me. I sometimes struggle with this sort of book; I often feel they take themselves too seriously and find the characters unrelatable, however I really felt I connected with Piranesi and found his situation and understanding of his world to be believable. The story was fairly fast paced and therefore the reader doesn’t have to wait too long before things become interesting. Quite early on we are given a sense that something isn’t quit right. This is done in such a way at first that its obvious that these unusual things don’t mean anything to Piranesi however to the reader flag as being odd.

I would say that I perhaps would have preferred the cause of Piranesi’s belief of his world to have been caused by a slightly different reason, however overall, this didn’t ruin the book for me, it’s just more of a preference. I would highly recommend it, I thought it was fantastic.

Opening line: When the Moon rose in the Third Northan Hall I went to the Ninth Vestibule to witness the joining of three Tides.

272 pages

Published in 2020

Edited by Goose
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Goose said:

I don’t think I will ever grow out of faeries and magical creatures and reading and learning about them!

Me too! I’d love a bigger collection of magical bestiary type books - I’m adding this one to my wish list 😄.

I’m glad you liked Piranesi too. Susanna Clarke is one of those authors I would buy any book from - I think she’s incredible. 

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

Me too! I’d love a bigger collection of magical bestiary type books - I’m adding this one to my wish list 😄.

I’m glad you liked Piranesi too. Susanna Clarke is one of those authors I would buy any book from - I think she’s incredible. 

There is just something so captivating about the faerie world! A few others that I have my eye on are The Dark Crystal Bestiary by Adam Cesare & Iris Compiet, Mythical Creatures and Magical Beasts by Zayden Stone and A Natural History of Fairies by Emily Hawkins & Jessica Roux.

Pirasesi was the first book I've read by her and I will definitely be looking out for more of her work. Are there any that you would recommend?

12 hours ago, Goose said:

There is just something so captivating about the faerie world! A few others that I have my eye on are The Dark Crystal Bestiary by Adam Cesare & Iris Compiet, Mythical Creatures and Magical Beasts by Zayden Stone and A Natural History of Fairies by Emily Hawkins & Jessica Roux.

Definitely looking all of these up (I loved The Dark Crystal but found it a little unsettling at the same time, as a child!).

12 hours ago, Goose said:

Pirasesi was the first book I've read by her and I will definitely be looking out for more of her work. Are there any that you would recommend?

As a fan of faerie, I think you’ll love Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell! The blurb doesn’t really do it justice, it is actually very much about a world of faerie realms and real magic. The only other book I know of by her is The Ladies of Grace Adieu, which is a set of short stories based in the same world as Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I think the short stories will be more enjoyable if you’ve read the novel first though :) 

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

As a fan of faerie, I think you’ll love Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell! The blurb doesn’t really do it justice, it is actually very much about a world of faerie realms and real magic. The only other book I know of by her is The Ladies of Grace Adieu, which is a set of short stories based in the same world as Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I think the short stories will be more enjoyable if you’ve read the novel first though :) 

I agree with all of that. I have yet to read LoGA but JS&MN is superb - you should know that JS&MN is very long, 1024 pages my copy, should that be important to you. It never flags though, and I'll definitely read it again (as I will Piranesi)

Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology #1) – Emily Tesh

(LGBT, enchanting, folklore)

SilverintheWood.jpg.4b2738d207d541759534bd143b1d136c.jpg

4.75/5

Silver in the Wood is centred around Tobias, the Wild Man who lives in the woods of Greenhollow, and who cares for and tends to the woodland. One day Henry Silver, the new owner of Greenhollow Hall enters his life and Tobias’ life becomes entwined with Henry’s in ways that can only mean danger for them both.

This was a truly beautiful book. The atmosphere Tesh creates is captivating, I had been craving a story set in an enchanted woodland and this satisfied it perfectly. The setting and atmosphere were what I loved most about the book, and how it was steeped in nature and folklore. Tobias shares the woods with his Dryads – spirits that inhabit trees – which added to the fairy tale feel.

The two main characters are opposites, Tobias an opposing, rough man of few words, and Henry, young and handsome, full of childlike wonder. I really loved the contrast between the two and the tender relationship they developed. The story explores how deeply past relationships can hurt you and how long the hurt can last, but that there is the hope for new love, and the ability to move on.

I would highly recommend this book if you want something that creates an enchanting atmosphere, that is emotional but ultimately hopeful.

This book is the first in a duology and I definitely plan on reading the second one at some point.

Opening line: It was the middle of an autumn downpour when Tobias first met Henry Silver.

112 pages

Published in 2019

Edited by Goose

A Deadly Education (The Scholomance Series #1) – Naomi Novik

(dark-fantasy, monsters, YA)

ADeadlyEducation.thumb.jpg.e6ce22dc64b275a97f6f114700b29333.jpg

4.75/5

This book follows El who is enrolled in a boarding school for wizards where she learns spells, how to create magical objects, and most importantly, how to kill monsters. El in is her second to last year with the hopes of graduating the following year, however she is yet to make any alliances with her fellow students, something that could mean the difference between life and death. However, what the other students don’t know is that El has incredible power that could wipe out all of them.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, more than I was expecting. I read Novik’s Spinning Silver a while back and although I did enjoy it, I found it a little difficult to get through therefore I was unsure if this would be something I’d experience with A Deadly Education. This wasn’t the case at all and I was surprised how different this book felt in style to Spinning Silver.

Due to the stakes in the school being life and death, naturally everything the students do is strategic in ensuring their survival, including the friendships they make. Novik has done a great job in developing an intricate political system within the school with regards to this. El however does not want to subscribe to making friends purely for strategic purposes, even though she knows she is more likely to live if she befriends students who are part of powerful Enclaves – large groups of wizards outside of the school who help each other. I really loved El’s character, she is witty, clever and unafraid to show people the immorality of their actions.

The world building in this book was fantastic, Novik spends a lot of time explaining to the reader the magic system early on so that the reader has a good understanding right from the go. I have mentioned in previous reviews that I sometimes struggle to get on board with magic systems as I am such an avid Harry Potter fan however the magic system in this story for me even rivalled HP. Wizards use ‘mana’ to perform magic, however the wizard needs to generate the mana beforehand. Mana is generated by effort expended by the wizard; the more effort involved the more mana produced. Wizards can also use Malia which is taken from other living things but this is seen as cheating.  

The monsters in the story are called maleficaria and feed off of a wizard’s mana. Although measures have been taken to limit the amount of maleficaria that can enter the school, systems failed long ago which is what has led the school to become such a cut throat place to live.

The book explores the divide between those who grow up with resources, opportunities and privilege, and those who have to fight for everything they have. The kids from Enclaves don’t have to work nearly as hard to survive as El does and its clear they have a leg up right from the beginning. It also highlighted how oblivious those in privileged positions can be to how much better off they have things.

There are two more in the series which I have reserved on BorrowBox and am looking forward to reading them. I would highly recommend this book, even if you don’t usually go for YA I would say it’s still worth a shot, to me it didn’t feel like reading a typical YA, other than the fact the characters are all teenagers.

Opening line: I decided that Orion needed to die after the second time her saved my life.

336 pages

Published in 2020

Edited by Goose

I really enjoyed this one. Naomi Novik can genuinely write in different styles, I first came across her with the Temeraire novels which are adult fantasy and loved them - the first few in the series anyway. I liked Spinning Silver a lot too but I listened to it on Audible and it was beautifully read which of course adds so much.

• Like 1

Sea Witch – Sarah Henning

(YA, re-telling, mermaids)

Screenshot_20230902_134025_Google.thumb.jpg.a586177c41cac94b67fc51b36cce7af9.jpg

3.5/5

The Sea Witch is a re-imagining of how Ursula, the villain in The Little Mermaid came to be. The story follows Evie, a fisherman’s daughter who is best friends with the air to the throne, Prince Nik, and who also happens to be a witch. Years ago, Evie and Nik’s friend Anna drowned in the ocean, but one day a girl turns up who looks just like her but claims to be someone different. This new girl has many secrets, some that she shares with Evie and some that she doesn’t, and all that lead to a tragic end.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I sometimes find that mermaid books can be a bit lacking in substance, however this wasn’t the case here. The majority of the story is told from Evie’s point of view but there are also flash backs to the day that Anna died and the events following. It was interesting as by doing this the truth behind things is revealed to the reader before the characters become aware.

The only thing I didn’t necessarily like was that Evie’s love interest is portrayed as being very in love with her and most of the book is dedicated to her relationship with him, however at the end when things go awry, he doesn’t hesitate in throwing her under the bus. I think it just felt a little abrupt and unsatisfying. However, I guess this is something that adds to why Evie ends up turning into the sea witch.

I wasn’t blown away by this book but I did enjoy it, it was a little more romance focused than I was expecting but that didn’t bother me. It suffers from the unavoidable issue of the ending being, to some extents predictable, we know its not going to be a happy ending as it’s the origin story of a villain. However, I found the story interesting enough that this wasn’t an issue. There is a second book but I'm not sure that I am likely to read it.

Opening line: Two small pairs of boots echoed on the cobblestones – one pair in a sprint, the other in a stumble and slide.

368 pages

Published in 2018

Edited by Goose

9 minutes ago, France said:

I really enjoyed this one. Naomi Novik can genuinely write in different styles, I first came across her with the Temeraire novels which are adult fantasy and loved them - the first few in the series anyway. I liked Spinning Silver a lot too but I listened to it on Audible and it was beautifully read which of course adds so much.

Her writing I feel has a lot of maturity to it which I really like. Spinning Silver was a lovely book, its a while since I read it but I remember the atmosphere it created very vividly. A Deadly Education does this too, just a very different atmosphere! Really looking forward to reading the rest of the series and I definitely want to pick up more of Novik's work in the future.

The Moss Series (#1 By Ash, Oak and Thorn & #2 By Rowan and Yew) – Melissa Harrison

(middle-grade, enchanting, heart-warming)

ByAshOakandThorn.thumb.jpg.ce3a533f2136ab14b70bdf1eaad82a53.jpgByRowanandYew.thumb.jpg.96e543fe2e7dc77f2b7494872a1008d0.jpg

5/5

Moss, Burnet and Cumulus are Hidden Folk, they are about as tall as your hand is long and are protectors of the wild world. After waking up from their winter sleep they are shocked to find that one of them has started to disappear. In an effort to find the answer to this mysterious fading they set off on an adventure, helped along the way by the many creatures that inhabit the countryside.

I absolutely fell in love with these books. I usually borrow ebooks and audio books where I can, or wait for things to come on kindle unlimited, and if I really enjoy them, I will then buy a paper copy. I got about ten minutes into listening to the first book and immediately decided to order both of them! Harrison is a nature writer as well as a novelist and this really shines through, the detail of the natural world that the story is set in is wonderful and as someone very interested in nature, I really loved this.

The characters in the book were what stole my heart. As well as the three main characters there are lots of side characters, some that are only present for small portions and others that remain throughout both books. Almost the entire cast are either Hidden Folk or animals and I loved this.

It does feel quite obvious that you are reading a middle-grade however this didn’t bother me at all and I believe the books can still be enjoyed by adults. A big theme of the books is friendship and how important it is to support, care and respect each other. The main message of the books however is that we need to look after the natural world and ensure it is given a place in modern society, and I think Harrison did this beautifully.

If you are looking for a truly heart-warming read then I couldn’t recommend these books more. They will have pride of place on my bookshelf and I can’t wait to read them to my future children. I would also really recommend the audio book read by Sam Crerar and Melissa Harrison, many of the characters are given distinct voices, including a roadman starling!

Opening line: It was the kind of March day that feels springish, despite the weather not yet having warmed up.

Book 1 – 248 pages

Book 2 – 243 pages

Published in 2021

Edited by Goose
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Hayley said:

Immediately adding this to my wish list based on your review! 

8 hours ago, France said:

This sounds wonderful! The audio book of By Ash, Oak and Thorn is free on Audible Plus too. It's my next listen.

7 hours ago, poppy said:

These sound lovely, you've convinced me too! 😊

I'm sure none of you will regret it! I've been recommending them to all of my friends and family! If you use BorrowBox (you can borrow audio books and ebooks for free as it links to your local library - not sure if it's available outside the UK though) then the audiobooks are on there too.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:47 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I like dystopian novels too.  Have you tried We by Yevgeny Zamyatin ? A wee snippet from Amazon " .........A foundational work of dystopian fiction, inspiration for both Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four and Huxley's Brave New World, WE is a book of radical imaginings ........."

I am also enjoying The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry and will embark on the third part this year.

Welcome

You may also like "Shatter Me Series". Give it a try. 

The "Shatter Me" series is a young adult dystopian science fiction series written by Tahereh Mafi. As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, the series consists of six main novels and several novellas and spin-off books. Here's an overview of the series:

1. Shatter Me (2011): The first book in the series introduces us to Juliette Ferrars, a young woman with a lethal touch that can kill anyone she comes into contact with. She has been imprisoned for years by a totalitarian government. When she's unexpectedly released, she joins a resistance movement and discovers her unique abilities could be a game-changer in the fight against the oppressive regime.

2. Unravel Me (2013): In the second installment, Juliette continues to develop her powers and navigate her feelings for Adam Kent, a fellow resistance member. The story delves deeper into the world's politics and the struggle against the authoritarian government.

3. Ignite Me (2014): The third book sees Juliette embracing her role in the resistance and taking on a leadership role. The story intensifies as the battle for freedom escalates.

4. Restore Me (2018): This book marks the beginning of a new trilogy within the series. It explores Juliette's challenges as she assumes the role of Supreme Commander and faces new threats to her leadership.

5. Defy Me (2019): In the fifth book, the plot thickens as secrets and betrayals come to light, and the characters must grapple with the consequences of their actions.

6. Imagine Me (2020): This is the final book in the original series, bringing the story to a climactic conclusion as Juliette and her allies face their ultimate battle against the oppressive regime.

Additionally, there are novellas and spin-off novels that provide further depth to the series, including "Fracture Me" (novella) and the "Tahereh Mafi's Untitled Shatter Me Novella" series.

The "Shatter Me" series is known for its fast-paced, action-packed storytelling, a strong focus on character development, and the unique narrative style that incorporates striking metaphors and crossed-out text to convey Juliette's inner thoughts. It has garnered a dedicated fan base for its intriguing dystopian world and the emotional journey of its characters. If you enjoy dystopian young adult fiction with a touch of romance and unique narrative techniques, this series may be worth exploring.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Android’s Dream – John Scalzi

(sci-fi, light-hearted, aliens)

TheAndroidsDream.thumb.jpg.d557a19790e1a0c9a866b653608e6235.jpg

2.75/5

DNF 22%

The Android’s Dream is set on an Earth that has connected with outer space and the alien species that live out there. Harry Creek finds himself mixed up in a mission to save the planet after an incident in which a human diplomat kills an important member of a superior alien race. The key to fixing this mess? A sheep.

I had had this book on my TBR for quite a while so was excited to get into it, but unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. I think the biggest issue for me was that I struggled to connect with the characters and often this can be a make or break for me. I think I also just found it a bit too silly. This surprised me as I tend to struggle with books that I feel are taking themselves too seriously and love a bit of humour, however I think it was just a bit too far the other way.

I think that this is probably quite an enjoyable book to read but I just found I had no great desire to continue reading it. I may one day pick it up again but for now I will just leave it there.

Opening line: Dirk Moeller didn’t know he could fart his way into a major diplomatic incident.

396 pages

Published in 2006