Food - Part Two!

Michelle

Other half cooked today, as I was otherwise busy! He did one of his specialities - Pieces of chicken tossed in flour and pepper, and cooked with bits of bacon and chunky pieces of marrow/courgettes and onions. The sauce of this dish really tastes delicious - I love dipping crusty bread in it! Yummy!

I made a beef Rogan Josh tonight which was delish.

I have to say, on the chilli thing,I don't actually follow a recipe - I jstchuck it all in a pot & i seems to turn out fine. :D

I usually do this in the crockpot and use whatever meat I have on hand. Ground beef, ground venison, ground turkey, whatever...usually a couple pounds.

Brown the meat in a skillet with a little olive oil, then throw the whole thing into the crockpot.

Add cooked pinto, kidney or pink beans if desired...2 or 3 cups worth.

Chop up a large onion and a couple large cloves of garlic (or to taste), and throw that in, along with a couple good sized pinches of whole cumin and a couple cans of chopped tomatoes.

Add one or two cleaned ancho chili pods with the seeds and stem removed.

Add enough beef broth to cover and cook on low in the crockpot 6 to 8 hours, stirring occasionally.

Serve with cornbread.

I forgot how it is done. Have to fish out Ainsley's recipie and try it again. I remember it was good!

I am cooking chinese today. I already prepared the chicken and sweet corn soup (phew!) I bought the other stuff - wantons, spring rolls, spicy chicken breast, pork balls etc, would not even dream of trying to do those from scratch.

Not sure exactly what we're having...but it will include cornbread. I made some really yummy cornbread for the party last night and ended up bringing some back b/c the person bringing the chili arrived very late. :grr:

Don't know if you have "Jiffy" cornbread mix over there, but this is the recipe:

1 can cream corn

1 can whole kernel corn

1 16oz sour cream

2 boxes Jiffy Cornbread Mix

Drain whole kernel corn. Mix together corn, cream corn and sour cream.

Next mix up 2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix according to box directions in a large mixing bowl. Add the corn and sour cream mixture.

Pour into a greased 9X13 casserole and bake at 400*F until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (about 35 to 40 minutes).

The hell's beef Rogan Josh????

It's a kind of curry - medium hot/spicy & very yummy. I usually make chicken-based curries, but we'd had roast beef the night before, so I used the rest of the roast in it & it was gorgeous.

I'm fortunate in that I've never set fire to the kitchen. Dale, on the otherhand, has made a habit of it (I think it was 4 times at the last count - aol prior to living with me). He's not allowed to have a chip pan or any kind of deep-fryer in my kitchen in case he does it again. no toaster (he once did it with one of those) or sandwich maker (again, yes, much flamage ensued!).

I prefer to keep a flame-free kitchen. And there are no curtains or blinds in there either - just in case! LOL!

:rofl: about the flaming kitchens. I did that the first year I was married, but haven't done it since. Dd ( the younger) however, managed to set fire to my range hood when she was sixteen and she and her gaggle of friends decided to cook burgers on the stove. :grr:

Cream corn is corn cut off the cob and thickened with cornstarch and the corn "juice". It's pretty yummy but not exactly the lowest thing on the glycemic index.

Here's a recipe for cornbread. This is a pretty standard recipe.

2 cups yellow cornmeal

1 1/2 cups flour

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons sugar or honey, optional

3 eggs, beaten

1 tablespoon vegetable, for skillet

2 cups milk

1/4 cup melted butter

melted butter for brushing top

Preheat oven to 425