Jam roly poly problems :-D

Help! I have jam roly poly problems! :D

I don't really do baking or puddings. At all. This is my third attempt at one of my fave English puds... and it's going the same way as the others, ie not well lol

Can anybody give me some advice? I make the dough with suet and flour and water. Every time I make it and roll it out the dough is far too soft and falls apart when I move it. I thought it might be because I was making it too thin but today I made it a lot thicker and still a problem with it. Today's effort is not too bad - it didn't fall apart lol but still having that problem? What am I doing wrong do you think?

You could try rolling it out on baking paper, spread your mixture on top, then use the paper to help roll it up. When you transfer it into the baking dish, try using two large spatulas to move it (and hold your mouth right :D) If it falls apart a bit you can always patch it up.

I don't use suet in my recipe, just a basic scone recipe and it seems to work fine.

Are you working in a kitchen that is too warm? When working with a certain type of pastry (pate sucree) it seriously hates the kitchen warm. Are your hands too hot as this may have an effect. Also are you overhandling the mixture? Don't forget that flours vary with each bag and absorb different levels of water - try adding only part of the water at a time - like bread and pastry, you don't always need the full amount.

I like the idea by Poppy

Lots of good advice! Thanks for the replies :D

I don't use suet in my recipe, just a basic scone recipe and it seems to work fine.

AH HA!!!! Glad you said this, because I remember years ago making jam roly poly a lot and I never used suet. I started thinking it was my imagination but since you say this I might try it again without the suet. I just used to use butter and flour, is that what you do?

are you overhandling the mixture? Don't forget that flours vary with each bag and absorb different levels of water - try adding only part of the water at a time - like bread and pastry, you don't always need the full amount.

I think I might be over handling it! My body temp is always on the warm side lol and I think I am handling it too much. Maybe adding too much water too, I'll try adding slower.

AH HA!!!! Glad you said this, because I remember years ago making jam roly poly a lot and I never used suet. I started thinking it was my imagination but since you say this I might try it again without the suet. I just used to use butter and flour, is that what you do?

This is the recipe I use Hammy

2 cups flour

100 gms butter

2 tsp baking powder

pinch salt

milk to mix

Sieve flour, baking powder and salt. Rub in butter (I actually just grate in cold butter and mix it in with a knife). Make into soft dough with milk.

Roll out. Spread with jam. Roll up.

Boil together 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tlb butter, 1 1/2 cups water.

Pour over dough in baking dish.

Cook mod oven 1 1/2 hrs.

A variation that is really nice is to mix up some grated raw apple, throw in some raisins, sultanas or whatever dried fruit you want and a bit of cinnamon and spread this on the dough before you roll it up.

Happy cooking :D