Fantasy Dinner Party

Roland Butter

If you could have four people round for a curry (or a nut roast, if you prefer :lol: ), who would they be, and why? They could be absolutely anyone, living or dead, even fictional characters if you wish. (But if you're inviting Elvis, please don't give him any more cheeseburgers ...)

To kick off, I'd go for:

Aretha Franklin - on condition that she sings for her supper :pizza:. That would make me a very happy man.

Dr Martin Luther King - in the hope that some of his charisma and all-round goodness would rub off on me.

Jesus - so that he could explain what his hopes were when he started the business, and do a "2000 year review".

Brian Clough - so that he could tell the other three what they were doing wrong :censored:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Roger Bacon - the enigmatic 13th Century English mystic and early scientist. There is so little known about him, but what IS known is fascinating.

2. Thomas Raddall - A writer born in Kent but emigrated to Canada with family as a boy. Wrote fascinating short and long stories about early settlers in Nova Scotia.

3. Martin Bormann - The ultra-secretive Nazi Reischsleiter. No one was really sure whose side he was on or what really happened to him.

4. Dolores Hart - A small time Hollywood actress who suddenly gave it all up and became a nun in 1963...and still is.

John Grisham - Wise man and my all-time favorite author. I would love to meet him.

John Frusciante - My favorite guitar player and he is such an interesting character.

Jim Edmonds - My favorite baseball player and I would love him to teach me and share his thoughts.

Jesus - I would like him to explain a few things.

I need another choice because there are 4 others with whom I have something in common; it will be fascinating to find out if there are more similarities.

1. Mahatma Gandhi

2. Heinrich Himmler

3. John Lennon

4. Harry Potter

Can anyone guess what this common factor that the five of us have?

Mmmm. Isn't it funny? There are authors I love to read, but I'm not sure I'd want to hang out with. (Like Dorothy Parker).

I did have thirteen authors I'd love to have a get together with and it wasn't difficult.

1. Steven Hockensmith.

He's a new author and I think he's hilarious. I'd love to have dinner with him.

2. Dayna Hart.

She's a fellow author who lives in Canada. We talk on the phone every day, but I've never met her face to face. I'd love to do that.

3. Ngaio Marsh.

The choice seems to come down to Marsh, Agatha Christie or Dorothy L. Sayers. I would like them all.

4. Diana Krall.

Not only do I love her music, but I think she'd be an interesting person. Anyone who can be married to Elvis Costello.....

Hmmm... this is difficult...

Maman - Because I miss her and because she truly was a class act. The personification of elegance. (Kind of cool when you get her clothes, kind of sucks when that's the standards you grow up expected to fill.)

Erlend Loe - A Norwegian author, a truly fashinating guy. Smart and very funny!

George Clooney - Smart guy and hey! You didn't really expect me to stare at my place setting the whole time, did you??

and the fourth?

Coco Chanel - first off, I don't think there'd be room left for Karl Lagerfields ego, and secondly, she's another class act. Plus, my grand-mère knew her well, and I was therefore named after her (my second name is Gabrielle), so it would be lovely to have her there.

Oh, and if one of them couldn't make it I'd have Adam come and we'd make a family dinner out of it. *grin*

This is really, really hard! I would want to invite people I would actually want to talk to. Well, here are my choices:

1. J.R.R. Tolkien - because he's the man who wrote my favorite book, and let's face it, he was a genius!

2. My grandfather - he died when I was 3, so I hardly remember him. But he was such an interesting man, and he was even a published chef! He would cook the dinner and make his famous spaghetti.

3. Coco Chanel - sorry, ii, but I have to have her too!:lol: I have always admired her, not just for her class and elegance, but for her determination.

4. George W. Bush - he would be the comic relief, and we would all take turns throwing food at him.:censored: I can guarantee that my grandpa would have some choice words for him!

Echo wrote

4. George W. Bush - he would be the comic relief, and we would all take turns throwing food at him.:censored: I can guarantee that my grandpa would have some choice words for him!

So would my maternal Grand mother - she certainly would have given her opinion :lol:

This is hard!

I would like to have

1. My maternal Grandmother. She had a great sense of humour and I'd really like her to meet my lovely husband and children

2. Mother Theresa - she could teach so many humility, genuine kindness and love

3. Thomas Hardy - my all time classic author

4. Colin Firth - dressed as Mr D'Arcy

1. Cary Grant - smooth, sophisticated, handsome, intelligent and with an excellent sense of humour, he'd be the perfect dinner guest.

2. Terry Pratchett - Quirky, clever and the most exquisite satirist living today (in my opinion). And I'd get extra insight into all his Discworld characters.

3. Queen Elizabeth I - One of the best loved monarch's England ever had, she was a woman ruling in a man's world. I'd love to get her perspective on things today.

4. Cleopatra - Another ruling woman who played by her own rules and refused to share the throne with her brother. Ruthless and passionate - I think she'd be one of the most interesting conversationalists in the room!

There were countless others who I would love to have included, but the limit was four, so those are the ones who made the cut. Four very different people from very different eras and situations - and I've even balanced the place settings with equal numbers of men and women!

1. Cary Grant - smooth, sophisticated, handsome, intelligent and with an excellent sense of humour, he'd be the perfect dinner guest.

2. Terry Pratchett - Quirky, clever and the most exquisite satirist living today (in my opinion). And I'd get extra insight into all his Discworld characters.

3. Queen Elizabeth I - One of the best loved monarch's England ever had, she was a woman ruling in a man's world. I'd love to get her perspective on things today.

4. Cleopatra - Another ruling woman who played by her own rules and refused to share the throne with her brother. Ruthless and passionate - I think she'd be one of the most interesting conversationalists in the room!

Should be a very interesting evening. I can imagine the passionate Cleopatra trying to seduce Cary Grant while Pratchett and QE1 are busy tearing each other's hair out!

Oh, easy!

John Lennon

Paul McCartney

George Harrison

Ringo Starr

The four men who have brought me the most happiness in my life :D

And then I probably spend all evening blushing and not saying a word because I would be so nervous :lol:

Hmm i think i would go with

George Carlin

Living legend of comedy and we share a common morbid humour i would love to meet George and im sure he would be a great guy off stage.

Bill Hicks

A great man with many talents who died too soon, i just wish i had been old enough to know of him while he was still alive and i could have seen him perform.

Kevin smith

Made some of my favourite movies so i would have to invite him.

Hayden Panettiere

i dont think this even needs explanation.

Hmm i think i would go with

George Carlin

Living legend of comedy and we share a common morbid humour i would love to meet George and im sure he would be a great guy off stage.

Bill Hicks

A great man with many talents who died too soon, i just wish i had been old enough to know of him while he was still alive and i could have seen him perform.

Kevin smith

Made some of my favourite movies so i would have to invite him.

Hayden Panettiere

i dont think this even needs explanation.

Nice guest list! :D

Victoria Beckham :lol: Sorry but I like her......

Don't encourage her!!! :D

Difficult, difficult, question! It's one of those questions that if I sat and thought about it I would go around and around in circles. It's the sort of question you would get different answers depending on the day and my mood.

I'll go for...

Vincent Van Gogh

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Albert Einstein

And my friend Raquel because I know it's a party she wouldn't want to miss!