Supergran71's read list

supergran71

Ooo I'll be interested to see how you get on with this, I keep eyeing it up but haven't done anything more than look at it!

Oh, and don't worry about the book, isn't your fault. I will let you know if it turns up. Shame really as we're only a bus journey apart!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have finished The Book of Lost Things. I was totally captivated by it and its magic has stayed with me, I keep thinking about it.

Its a very well written book which carries you along easily into a 12 year old boy's "rite of passage" through his fantasy world which is very believable. I was impressed at an adult author being able to capture how a child standing on the threshold of adulthood sees the world he has created in his mind following the death of his mother. Its an adventure story in which David, the 12 year old, faces death and destruction at every turn of the page and it is intriguing how his encounters represent the fairy tales we all know. they were easily identifiable (if you have read them of course).

the author's notes at the end were interesting and enlightening and an absolute must to read.

I loved this book and will look out for other books by John Connolly.

Highly recommended 10/10

Still reading Five Quarters of an Orange. Very good, I am enjoying it immensely. First Joanne Harris I have read.

You should read Gentleman and Players by her, very good book.

I read it a few years before I discovered this wonderful place, so sadly not. What did I do before BCF?!

Have you read her Gentlemen and Players? It's very different to Five Quarters but was great too.

I have Coastliners on my 'to read' pile - it's been there for a couple of years - I really must get round to it.

Started The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber.

Made a start on this last night. I found his style a little perplexing at first. He has an offbeat kind of humour which takes a little time to get used to. I have reached page 21 and am not tempted to put it down, so that must be good. It is described as a modern thriller in the blurb, which is encouraging. Watch this space.:blush:

Still reading Five Quarters of an Orange. Very good, I am enjoying it immensely. First Joanne Harris I have read.

You mean you haven't read 'Chocolat' that is my fave...you have to eat chocolate at the same time though when reading it...lol.

You should read Gentleman and Players by her, very good book.

Have this in on bookshelf too, another I must get around to reading.

Have you read Blackberry Wine? I have a copy if you ever want to borrow it.

You mean you haven't read 'Chocolat' that is my fave...you have to eat chocolate at the same time though when reading it...lol.

Have this in on bookshelf too, another I must get around to reading.

Have you read Blackberry Wine? I have a copy if you ever want to borrow it.

I dont 'do' chocolate Diane lol, but I might borrow Blackberry Wine at some point, when I have reduced my TBR pile. ~Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I dont 'do' chocolate Diane lol, but I might borrow Blackberry Wine at some point, when I have reduced my TBR pile. ~Thanks

I think have this here, so when we meet on Thursday I could bring it for you? Save Diane having to post it to you

I think have this here, so when we meet on Thursday I could bring it for you? Save Diane having to post it to you

That wouild be good Kate:D

I wonder if Talisman could get down to Worthing and meet us as well. That would be good wouldnt it? A mini SE meet eh? How about it Talisman?

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber. It took a while, but in the end I enjoyed this book, review to follow if I can work one out!!!

Have now moved on to The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. Have reached page 171 and am so far non-plussed by all the fuss surrounding this book. Dont quite get that. Still will plod on and maybe it will suddenly "move" me. Wont take me long to finish it anyway.

After everyone telling me how great this book was, I found it didnt do a thing for me. I think the story could have been told differently. I didnt like it being left up in the air.

It was obvious she had suffocated her sister with the cushion, but why couldnt there have been a recognition of Iris as her granddaughter?

Started "No Time for Goodbye" now. Again, surprised at the hype, but I havent got very far in. What I DO NOT like is the overuse of the F word, used in general conversation. OK I've used it but only when very angry and frustrated at something. Hope this doesnt carry on otherwise it will spoil the story for me. Its one of the reasons I wont read Martina Cole books. Anyway, we will see.

Edited by Nici
Spoilers added

Finished "No Time for Goodbye" this afternoon. What a thrilling story! I was trying to work out what it was all about as a I read and formed several theories. One of them did turn out to be the right one. This should be made into a film I think. This author certainly has the skill to weave an engrossing and exciting read, which keeps you reading and wanting to turn the pages quickly to find out what is going to happen next. As I said before I wasnt keen on the use of the F word at the beginning and find it hard to believe that American school children are allowed to use that kind of language in front of their teachers. If Mr Barclay can find better words to use instead of the gratuitous F word, his work would be even more enjoyable.

Have now started "The Ruins" by Scott Smith. It is a story about a group of students of differing nationalities on holiday in Mexico when they are persuaded to go in search of the brother of one of them, who has gone in search of some ruins being excavated by some archeologists, when something goes wrong in the worst sense of the word.

Has anyone else heard of this author? I dont remember when I got this book, but the story must have interested me. However I am not sure I am going to like it because it seems to be a horror story:blush:

Edited by supergran71

Have now started "The Ruins" by Scott Smith. It is a story about a group of students of differing nationalities on holiday in Mexico when they are persuaded to go in search of the brother of one of them, who has gone in search of some ruins being excavated by some archeologists, when something goes wrong in the worst sense of the word.

Has anyone else heard of this author? I dont remember when I got this book, but the story must have interested me. However I am not sure I am going to like it because it seems to be a horror story:blush:

No I haven't. It sounds good though - hope you enjoy it.