Supergran71's read list

supergran71

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I finished A Mighty Heart and have now started Sense & Sensibility.

A Mighty Heart was well written and flowed well, but its content I did not really like so I wont review it. I cannot believe how 2 people could put themselves in a place where there was such risk, especially when she was pregnant - and right after 9/11 too. I cannot understand why The Wall Street Journal needed to have someone in Pakistan. I feel sorry for her losing her husband like that, but cannot believe how naive they both were.

Got stuck into Sense and Sensibility once I became acclimatised to the style of writing again and the "perfect" English. After you have been reading modern fiction I find it does take a couple of reading sessions to get into "Jane Austen" mode. Once in though I drown in it, love it. this is a second reading of this novel for me and there are so many things I missed the first time. Am really enjoying it, will probably finish it in a few more days.

I selected Jodi Picault's "The Tenth Circle" for my next book and started it last night. I dont think I will be continuing it as after reading the Prologue and the first chapter, which was very vague and weird and then turning the page and finding a comic strip I thought "what is this?" Not my scene I dont think. Would be interested in other's comments if they have read this book

I am finding Suite Francaise a little slow, but the terror of that time has been captured well. I am filled with admiration with the translator of this book as well. To change a book from one language to another is a talent indeed, but to then capture the author's insight and the vivid descriptions is very impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Suite Francaise on Monday last.It didnt turn out to be quite what I thought, but I enjoyed reading it. She is a very lyrical writer and her descriptions are very vivid. It left me wondering about the French and their attitude to being occupied. First blind panic and then "oh its not so bad". Strange really. However, when I reached the Appendices it was a different matter and I found tears coming to my eyes. This was the REAL story.

Started "Blind Assasin" now by Margaret Attwood.

I think I did read one of hers years ago, cant remember the title though. Um not sure if I am going to continue with this one though, going to go on to something else and come back to it I think. Its a bit strange, book within a book kind of style which I am not sure I am in the mood for.

I wonder why you found it boring ii? I'd be interested to know.

I haved moved on now to "The Secret Haunts of Men" by Susan Hill. Apparently her first book. The actual story line is interspersed with comments from the killer, obviously psychotic, and then after more storyline, she switches to the developing passionate love the female DS is developing for her boss - pretty juvenile that is - nevertheless it is certainly a tension building story and so far I have no idea who the perpetrator could be and there are 4 people dead !!! I will continue

• 1 month later...

Have got a bit behind with this blog, but here goes. I loved P&P as I believe I have said elsewhere. This is the third time I have read it and I enjoyed it more than at any other time, cant think why!!

I then moved on to The Pain of Winning by David Fraser which was a story set in the latter part of the 2nd World War and focussed on a young Captain first of all in Holland and it follows his movements and his meteoric rise in the ranks for various reasons. He gets to Italy and finally Austria. On the way at one stage he is captured by the Germans but escapes and is sheltered by the German widow of an Italian partisan, with whom he falls in love. His story is interspersed with what is happening to her and her young son, which isnt pleasant. With peace on the horizon he manages to track her down with dreams of a new life with her, but it doesnt quite work out the way he hoped. One thing I found very disturbing about this story was description of what happened to the "white" Russians and Poles (from the part of Poland commandeered by the Soviets) and that our army had to just hand them over knowing they would be murdered by the Red Army. The instruction came down from high up following the meeting of Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin at Yalta. The way events unfolded in this book were horrific to read about.

Now I am reading Elizabeth George's A Traitor to Memory, which I am finding an enthralling read. A very mysterious tale written in an intriguing way.

I have finished "A Traitor to Memory" and found it a very intriguing read. I couldnt figure out where it was going at first. The style of writing with the investigation into the murders interspersed with the story of the musician's problem with his playing. The first chapter stood completely on its own and its relevance to the story did not come out until 3/4's of the way through. The characters were very well rounded and each one had their own story to play out which added to the interest because you were continually thinking where is this going, or why is this happening. In the end, my solution to one situation proved to be right (or nearly), but the actually end almost fizzled out and then there was one final dramatic explosion (and that is the only word for it, but dont take me literally) on almost the last page. I was left thinking "well I am blowed"

10 out 10. A really good dramatic read and very well written.

Now how do I follow that!!!

Just started Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. Good start so far.

I read this last year and really enjoyed it - so will be interested to hear what you think.

I learned so much about the Amish people, really interesting. Jodi Picoult obviously puts in a lot of research before writing her books.

K x