Supergran71's read list

supergran71

Thought I would get in on this blog lark and put down the list of books I have read this year as far as I can remember them (some may have been lent to friends)

Here we go then, not necessarily in date order -

The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith

Blue Shoes and Happiness - ditto

Morality for Beautiful Girls - ditto

A Full Cupboard of Life - ditto

Case Histories - Kate Atkinson

Pursuit of Happiness - Douglas Kennedy

A Special Relationship - ditto

Hour Game - David Baldacci

Split Second - ditto

Solstice - David Hewson

The Righteous Men - Sam Bourne

A French Affair- Susan Lewis

The Stone Diaries - Carol Shields

The Pilot's Wife - Anita Shreve

Light on Snow - ditto

Into What Far Harbour - Allen Drury

Salem Falls - Jodi Picoult

We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver

The Savage Garden - Mark Mills

A Name to a Face - Robert Goddard

A Spot of Bother - Mark Haddon

Phew!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not going to type in the whole list, but there is 24 on it at the moment, including 3 Jane Austen ones ready for the start of the Jane Austen read. I am half way through my current read which I am enjoying. I will attempt to do a review when I have finished it. Not sure which one will come off the list as my next read, it rather depends on my mood.:censored:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I wasnt getting on too well with The Interpretation of Murder, but the night before last I read a passage that I found rivetting. I thought how clever the author was to paint such a vivid word picture of a really tense scene. Am continuing now with high hopes that I am going to enjoy it.

I love reading books like that. Some authors are able to paint such a beautiful picture with words. It just shows how smart some of them really are! :readingtwo:

I love reading books like that. Some authors are able to paint such a beautiful picture with words. It just shows how smart some of them really are! :readingtwo:

Sure does Adam. A book I read a couple of weeks ago "Name to a Face" by Robert Goddard, also contained a really good description of a woman that the writer met and I could actually "see" that woman, more than any other character I "met". His description was so vivid

I have just finished The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rudenfeld which I enjoyed very much. I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in/understands Psychoanalysis particularly in relation to Freud. The early chapters were hard to get through unless you have. Once I got into the story I really enjoyed all the twists and intrigues and puzzles especially the twist at the end. I also like the detective who carried out the investigation into the murders, without whom no solution would have been reached I dont think.

I have now started "The Devil's Feather" by Minette Walters (one of my favourite authors) which involves a female war correspondent in first off Sierra Leone and then Iraq where she is kidnapped briefly. Following this she has a "break down" and hides herself away in the English countryside. During her travels she has encountered a sexual psychopath of whom she is absolutely terrified ................... the story continues.

Maureen, thanks for that. I will try and do a review of The Interpretation of Murder. Did you enjoy it.

I am enjoying Kate Adie's biog so far. She writes how she speaks, clipped and clear, but she has a great sense of fun so the humour is evident throughout. I am into her early days so far. I understand she has written a further book, so may seek that out at a later date.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at the reviews for The Interpretation of Murder and agree with most of the comments made, so I dont think its really worth me just saying the same things.

Kate Adie's biography is very funny at times and at other times I find some of the stuff she says very hard to believe. Have just read a chapter where she is reminiscing about her years in Sunderland, which rang a lot of bells with me. My mother was born in this part of the world and I spent quite a bit of my childhood there, especially during WW2.

Am still reading "Kindness of Strangers" by Kate Adie (her autobiography.

It has taken me a while to get into her style of writing which moves around quite a lot. Once I had got used to that, I began to enjoy it. There are particular parts I have really enjoyed and found absorbing, I will elaborate more when I do a review (promise!!) .The end is in sight, another couple of nights I should think.:friends0: