The Book Show - Sky Arts channel

rosegarden

Has anyone watched this programme? A new series started last week on Thursday at 7.00pm with Mariella Frostrup interviewing John Simpson, Barbara Taylor Bradford and Ken Follett, all discussing literature and their latest books.

I find it absolutely fascinating and really enjoy listening to the authors.

Next week's show features Jeanette Winterson, Josephine Cox and Yann Martell.

Apparently, it's the only book programme on TV at the moment, which is a shame considering the huge numbers of people who read books! :D It's a pity it's not on terrestrial TV so that more people could watch it.

Carole

:D

I love watching this programme. I watched the previous series and the special Hay-on-Wye series earlier this year as well. It's a shame that it is the only book programme on at the moment, but at least this series has extended the programme - it was only a half-hour show before.

I find though that sometimes Mariella seems to talk more than the author she is interviewing. The bit where the authors chose a favourite book of theirs is fun - it's interesting to see what types of books they enjoy reading.

I love watching this programme. I watched the previous series and the special Hay-on-Wye series earlier this year as well. It's a shame that it is the only book programme on at the moment, but at least this series has extended the programme - it was only a half-hour show before.

I find though that sometimes Mariella seems to talk more than the author she is interviewing. The bit where the authors chose a favourite book of theirs is fun - it's interesting to see what types of books they enjoy reading.

Yes, I like that part too........I also love the bit where a different author tells you what's on his bedside table. For anyone who didn't see the programme, Mark Billingham chose -

Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks by Christopher Brookmyre

Trouble in Mind by John Harvey

Imperial Life in the Emerald City by Rajeev Chandrasekaran

Carole

:jump:

Sounds good - I'll have to look out for it!

There's another book programme with author interviews showing nightly on Simply TV (channel 196) at 7:30pm called Book Zone. It's on for half an hour and they usually interview about 4 or 5 authors during that time and highlight their latest book. It's not bad.

And if you can't get the channel, you can watch individual interviews on the official website HERE.

Guest fireball

rosegarden wrote :

Has anyone watched this programme? A new series started last week on Thursday at 7.00pm with Mariella Frostrup interviewing John Simpson, Barbara Taylor Bradford and Ken Follett, all discussing literature and their latest books.

I find it absolutely fascinating and really enjoy listening to the authors.

Next week's show features Jeanette Winterson, Josephine Cox and Yann Martell.

Apparently, it's the only book programme on TV at the moment, which is a shame considering the huge numbers of people who read books! :jump: It's a pity it's not on terrestrial TV so that more people could watch it. Carole

Now that's a terrible shame really. One thing I found fascinating since moving over here to Canada, is there love of reading. So much so, there is even a station over here simply called 'The Book Channel'

have a look. http://www.booktelevision.com/ Not a bad little station either.