Feeling part of a book?

hi everyone :lol:

[Admin Edit: First part moved to the Philip Pullman thread]

My second question is this :D

I dont know about anyone else but when im reading its like i become part of the book and every charactor becomes a small part of me. Its like a gateway to another world where anything can happen and its your adventure and noone elses. is this normal or do i just an over active imagination when it comes to reading

Well I have never read this book, but I certainly get what you are saying about being in your own little world where anything can happen. I think you have described that feeling perfectly. I have had that with a lot of books. I felt it most with Tolkien's trilogy, but also with Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness, Robert Neill's The Mist Over Pendle, the Harry Potter books and a little bit with other books.

I always find myself identifying more with one character (or possibly, in some very rare cases, two characters) than the others and, when I'm alone, I often find myself reading their dialogue out loud - I also feel happy when they are happy, worried when they are worried, and have been known to burst into tears when they are upset - I really get a feel for them. I also often find that if a book is set in a place with a particular accent, I find my own accent mimicking theirs (for example, when I was listening to an audio book of To Kill a Mockingbird, I kept finding myself slipping into a soft, Southern drawl - just slightly, but I would catch myself at it and try to stop!). I also find that while I'm reading Jane Austen, I slip into the rhythms of the speech patterns of the characters, so I sound very proper and English - I also find that if I write letters during that time, they come across as being very formal and descriptive of every little event like they are major occurrences, even if it's something innocuous like buying a new toaster! :lol:

I also feel happy when they are happy, worried when they are worried, and have been known to burst into tears when they are upset - I really get a feel for them. I also often find that if a book is set in a place with a particular accent,

I do exactly that too Kell.

I also find myself thinking like the book. I once text OH saying I noted his sardonic mood because it had occured a few times in the book I was reading. Sort of like what you do with the speech.

Guest fireball

professorchaos83 wrote:

I dont know about anyone else but when im reading its like i become part of the book and every charactor becomes a small part of me.
Can't say the same, but I do sometimes have empathy with one or other of the characters in whatever situations, I possibly can relate too though.

Kellwrote:

I always find myself identifying more with one character (or possibly, in some very rare cases, two characters) than the others and, when I'm alone, I often find myself reading their dialogue out loud - I also feel happy when they are happy, worried when they are worried, and have been known to burst into tears when they are upset - I really get a feel for them.
Sounds like the author/ress have done their job well. And hell of a writer to boot.

I feel that a writer female or male who can make ANY READER have emotion from their work, no matter what genre fiction and non-fiction, is worth their weight in gold and then some.

The pretenders to the throne, as we all know, are firing blanks.

As too, the writer can make you, as prof said makes him feel both part of the book and even character, one does get caught up with the doings and afterwards let out, at least with me I DO, 08.gif let out a satisfied sigh. And I bet I'm not the only one too. :lol: