American pancakes & your breakfast?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! :)

Have a great time in the U.S of A! Best american food: pancakes, hush puppies, meat loaf and red eye gravy, crispy american style bacon, corn bread, chicken n dumplings! Most of this is Southen food, but I guess you can get it all over? Best junk food outlet Long John Silvers and Taco Bell... but don't touch the chocolate, it's terrible!

Hope it's a wonderful trip for you!

Dale and I had a couple of slices of toast - his with Utterly Butterly, mine with Lurpack Light Spreadable. Both had a nice cup of coffee with it. Lounged about in bed to have breakfast too (it was my turn to make it, but I just crawled back under the covers!).

Made from scratch! here is the recipe! Here it is :-)

Serve these pancakes with butter and syrup OR BOTH!

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups all-purpose flour, stirred or sifted before measuring

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg, slightly beaten

1 1/2 cups milk

2 tablespoons melted butter

PREPARATION:

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture, stirring only until smooth. Blend in melted butter. Cook on a hot, greased griddle, using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until brown on one side and around edge; turn and brown the other side. Recipe for pancakes serves 4.

:-)

Hold on now... We're supposed to share what we're having for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and what we're wearing, and what we're reading, and still we're expected to actually have the time to get dressed and eat all that food and read?

Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. And an apple.

Skipped my usual Weetabix biscuits and cream cheese this morning, finished up some cream of chicken soup [from last night] and then on to peanut butter and butter on oatmeal toast with tea.

Made from scratch! here is the recipe! Here it is :-)

Serve these pancakes with butter and syrup OR BOTH!

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups all-purpose flour, stirred or sifted before measuring

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg, slightly beaten

1 1/2 cups milk

2 tablespoons melted butter

PREPARATION:

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture, stirring only until smooth. Blend in melted butter. Cook on a hot, greased griddle, using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until brown on one side and around edge; turn and brown the other side. Recipe for pancakes serves 4.

:-)

As a variation of your recipe try it using 13/4 cups all purpose flour and 1/4 cup of cornmeal. BTW, I hope that your maple syrup was "pure" maple syrup, nothing better on pancakes.

Another variation, try using Vanilla Soy Milk instead of regular milk sometime. My OH loves them that way and, actually, so do I. :)

I love pancakes and maple syrup. Very unhealthy, but really good.

I think I can give a standing answer to this tread. My breakfast is always the same: coffee. With soy milk. No, that was a lie, sometimes I make have a cappuccino or cafe latte, if I have the time. But that's like Sundays, weekdays are coffee, from freshly ground beans.

Back in Paris I used to stop by this pâtisserie near where I lived for a cafe latte and something little to eat, and to catch up on what's going on. You could get delicious goodies, great coffee, and all the important news from politics to social events to business mergers to hemline heights in 15 minutes.

As a variation of your recipe try it using 13/4 cups all purpose flour and 1/4 cup of cornmeal. BTW, I hope that your maple syrup was "pure" maple syrup, nothing better on pancakes.

Another variation, try using Vanilla Soy Milk instead of regular milk sometime. My OH loves them that way and, actually, so do I. :D

Thanks for the tips! I have seen some recipes that call for buttermilk, what do you think of that?

I think the maple syrup is pure... that's what is says on the bottle at least lol

I love pancakes and maple syrup. Very unhealthy, but really good.

Oh yeah! :)

I think I can give a standing answer to this tread. My breakfast is always the same: coffee. With soy milk. No, that was a lie, sometimes I make have a cappuccino or cafe latte, if I have the time. But that's like Sundays, weekdays are coffee, from freshly ground beans.

I'm serious about my coffee! ALWAYS gotta have coffee! I buy mine from www.hasbean.co.uk who I recommend very highly! They roast and grind the coffee fresh to order. At the moment I have a wonderful South American coffee and an Indian coffee.

Back in Paris I used to stop by this pâtisserie near where I lived for a cafe latte and something little to eat, and to catch up on what's going on. You could get delicious goodies, great coffee, and all the important news from politics to social events to business mergers to hemline heights in 15 minutes.

That sounds like wonderful moments, just my kind of thing!

Thanks for the tips! I have seen some recipes that call for buttermilk, what do you think of that?

I actually always use Buttermilk except when I use the Vanilla Soy Milk.............Never use the regular milk if Buttermilk is available. :)

Mmm...pancakes.

I always get my breakfast at work, as it gives me an extra few minutes in bed in the morning! The canteen does a mean bagel, and when they run out, there's always the Almighty Pretzel. With one VQR extra light triangle (I can't get used to calling them Laughing Cow - they're called Vache Qui Rit where I'm from!).

Strangely, I eat almost no bread at home.