Adam's Book Thread

Adam

I'm a bit behind here, but I see you read Skipping Christmas .. I read that also and laughed the entire way through it. Just hilarious!

They did a film adaptation of it at some point (with a different title) and it wasn't nearly as good as the book to me.

This is probably my favorite book. I found it so entertaining. The perfect book for a little light reading. I got a little choked up at the end tho :D The book was way better than the movie, but I still found the movie to be entertaining. I have to watch it every Christmas. I find Tim Allen so funny. I actually pictured him as the character when reading the book, so it made the book to film transition easier :lol:

I third the comment that 'The book of lost things' is brillaint, a fairytale for adults! I have not heard a bad thing about it either and it was one of my first reads this year. I hope you enjoy it Adam and Scarlette I would definitely recommend it!

I am really enjoying it. I agree with you, it is a fairy tale for adults. I love it so far :D

Thanks for the recommendations of The Book of Lost Things. I hope nobody bought it at the book sale, though, since they only had one copy. I guess I'll see tomorrow! :D

I hope they still have it. It is a great book.

This is probably my favorite book. I found it so entertaining. The perfect book for a little light reading. I got a little choked up at the end tho :D The book was way better than the movie, but I still found the movie to be entertaining. I have to watch it every Christmas. I find Tim Allen so funny. I actually pictured him as the character when reading the book, so it made the book to film transition easier :D

Ahh you were set to go then with the movie!

I can't remember what happened at the end of the book.. I read it so long ago, and I tend to forget major parts of books. :lol: Too bad I'm not a re-reader.. I'd be the prime candidate.

Spoiler me and fill me in again on the ending if you get a chance.

Ahh you were set to go then with the movie!

I can't remember what happened at the end of the book.. I read it so long ago, and I tend to forget major parts of books. :D Too bad I'm not a re-reader.. I'd be the prime candidate.

Spoiler me and fill me in again on the ending if you get a chance.

The ending to Skipping Christmas:

When Luther and his wife are all ready to take off for their cruise in order to skip Christmas, they receive a call from their daughter letting them know she will be home for Christmas with her new fiancee. They struggle to put together the Christmas their daughter remembers in only one night. The neighborhood hears about this and decides to pitch in and help. When Luther realizes the cruise is no longer an option and does not want it to go to waste, he decides to give it to the man living across the street. He has always had problems with this man, but decided in the spirit he would reconcile and provide this man and his dying wife one last wonderful memory together. Luther discovers the true meaning of Christmas and everything is pulled off.

Adam. Hello. I note that you have visited my McRecommends thread, and this makes me glad, for I suspect that we share very similar tastes in literature. Do have a look at my Mac Reads 2009 do-dah, as you may enjoy some of the books I've "reviewed" on this what-sit.

Have a time, good sir. Indeed.

• 1 month later...

I finished The Book of Lost Things a long time ago, in August to be exact. When I get five minutes to my self, I want to post my thoughts on it. I'm still working on the original fairy tales that came with the book. They are mainly Brother's Grimm tales. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to read for personal enjoyment. School books have had to take precedence. Right now for school I'm reading a book called Verbal Judo. For a school book I'm finding it really fascinating. It teaches police officers how to respond to a crisis situation and how to interact with people in different situations.

Not a very important update. Its just whats going on in my reading world :blush:

The 'Verbal Judo' sounds a fascinating read. Is it mainly common sense or have you had some "Wow! I'd never have thought to do that" moments whilst reading it?

There have definitely been some "wow" moments. The author lays out steps and rules to follow that will help to avoid conflict and clam someone down. Apparently you can use his communication techniques in daily life, but I have yet to try them out to see if they work :blush: