Adam's Book Thread

Adam

Hey everyone! Welcome to my book thread! :D

In this thread I will post books that I have read and what I thought about them. When I start a book I will post what it is and my expectations and then when I am finished with the book I will post a quick review without giving any spoilers.

Enjoy and happy reading! :lol:

Recently Read:

Skipping Christmas - John Grisham

The Summons - John Grisham

Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

Bleachers - John Grisham

The Davinci Code - Dan Brown

The Broker - John Grisham

Chasing the Dime - Michael Connely

Fools Die - Mario Puzo

The Road - Cormac Mcarthy

The Daunte Club - Matthew Pearl

Craddle and All - James Patterson

These are all the recent books that I have read :lol:

Stephen King is one of my very favourite writers - I'm so glad you're enjoying Salem's Lot! I've actually not read this one yet, so I'll be interested in seeing your thoughts on it when you're done. :lol:

I am getting deeper in this book. I have been busy lately so the time to read has been very little.

I am reading this book before bed and it is not such a good idea. It leaves you with a sick feeling in your stomach. It is not a BOO scary but a eerie scary. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I am really enjoying this book and I am looking forward to posting my review.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally finished 'Salem's Lot!

After reading this book I have to admit I was a little disapointed. It was not at all what I was expecting. The story was strong at the beginning, it was eerie. However, at the end it just fell apart. It became boring and I lost interest. The story was weak and it was a struggle to get through. I was not scared and it did nothing for me.

However, the writing in this book is amazing. The writing is the only reason I finished this book. Stephen King is descripitve and his writing is smooth. I love his writing, just not the story. I will definetly look for others from him. This was my first taste of King, but I am not turned away.

Maybe it is because I am not easily scared, but this book was a diapointment. I give it a 5/10.

I am now reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom.

About the book:

Eddie is a grizzled war veteran who feels trapped in a meaningless life of fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. His days are a dull routine of work, loneliness, and regret. Then, on his 83rd birthday, Eddie dies in a tragic accident, trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden, but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people. These people may have been loved ones or distant strangers. Yet each of them changed your path forever. One by one, Eddie''s five people illuminate the unseen connections of his earthly life. As the story builds to its stunning conclusion, Eddie desperately seeks redemption in the still-unknown last act of his life: Was it a heroic success or a devastating failure? The answer, which comes from the most unlikely of sources, is as inspirational as a glimpse of heaven itself. In The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom gives us an astoundingly original story that will change everything you''ve ever thought about the afterlife - and the meaning of our lives here on earth. With a timeless tale, appealing to all, this is a book that readers of fine fiction, and those who loved Tuesdays with Morrie, will treasure.

This is a short book, by an author I really enjoy. I am sure I won't be disapointed.

I am now reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom...This is a short book, by an author I really enjoy. I am sure I won't be disapointed.

It was one of the choices made by The Posh Club here in Aberdeen a while back. I think it was the one time we all agreed on a book - we all thought it was a really nice read - very easy and not at all depressing like you might expect from the subject matter - quite uplifting, actually. I hope you enjoy it.

• 5 weeks later...

I finished The Five People You Meet In Heaven. I LOVED every page of this book. It is definetly one of my all-time favorites. Mitch Albom is such a great writer and he is now one of my favorites of all-time. I can't say enough good things about this book or author. Five stars, 10/10, 100%, amazing :welcome:

I am now reading The Fighter by Craig Davidson.

The Fighter by Craig Davidson

Paul Harris leads a sheltered existence. The son of a Niagara winery owner, his suits and cars are paid for, his career in the family business assured. He is insulated from the rough realities of life—until a vicious barroom beating sets him down a new path. Rob Tully also feels that his life is on a set course. A born boxer with natural talent, Rob trains with his father, Reuben, and his uncle Tommy, both of whom believe that a gift like his can change their lives. Rob and Paul’s fathers want so much more for their sons than they ever had themselves, but both sons are determined to find their own way. While Paul descends into the world of hardcore bodybuilders and boxing gyms, Rob struggles under the expectations set upon his young shoulders. Their disparate paths lead to The Barn, an underground fight venue where vicious and hopeless men brawl for cold hard cash. No rules, no limits, no brakes. And when two fighters step into a ring where anything goes, sometimes only one walks out. Set in the violent world of illegal bare-knuckle boxing, The Fighter unflinchingly captures that world’s colourful denizens, its bleakness, its bracing and bloody violence. Written with the power and originality of Craig Davidson’s debut fiction, Rust and Bone, The Fighter secures his reputation as a talent to watch with this reflection on fathers and sons and on the ultimate question of how a modern man makes his way in today’s society.

I LOVE boxing and this book sounds really good! Plus the author is Canadian :welcome:

• 1 year later...

*Blows dust off of thread ;)

Time to start this 'ol thing back up again ;)

Since I have been gone I have not really read a lot ;)

The Fighter by Craig Davidson. One of my favorites. Incredible book that really examines humanity. I can't say enough good things about it.

From Pieces to Weight by50 Cent. I am ashamed I read this book. Its not even worth mentioning. I guess you could of figured that out just by looking at the author.

Imperium by Robert Harris. Stupid, stupid, stupid book. :motz: It just drags on and on about some guy trying to get elected to the Roman Senate.

The Righteous Men by Sam Bourne. I LOVED this book. It was a great thrill and an awesome mystery. It was a great read from start to finish and I highly recommend it.

The Righteous Men by Sam Bourne. I LOVED this book. It was a great thrill and an awesome mystery. It was a great read from start to finish and I highly recommend it.

Sam Bourne's books have been a must on my holiday reading list for the last three years, starting with The Righteous Men in 2006. They are fantastic page turners, full of action and I think they've made perfect holiday books. His next book The Chosen One is due to be published next week, I think, so I'm looking forward to getting it for my holiday later this summer.

I just finished No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.

I had really high hopes for this book. I have heard many good this about it. Unfortunately, I don't think it met those expectations. Yet, it was one of the best books I have ever read. Allow me to explain:

This book was written by a brilliant author, Cormac McCarthy. Who is, in my opinion, the greatest living writer. I am a big fan of his so I might be biased ;)

His writing style is very unique. It does not read very easy. The general grammar rules are tossed out the window. He also used the word "and" very frequently which leads to a lot of run on sentences. It is set in a poor area of Texas and many of the characters are uneducated. The way an uneducated person would talk is how he writes. However, he writes fast and gets to the point. The book did not read well.

I also don't like how the characters were developed in this story. He constantly switches the perspective of the character and never really develops them. He also does not tell you which character is speaking. So it is up to you to figure that out. I found myself re-reading pages just to trace back through the conversation to figure out who said what. If you don't know much about the characters then its hard to follow the story.

The story line is AMAZING. He also writes fast and gets to the point while developing the setting very well. I really liked this. The booked moved fast and the premise to the story is very cool.

I can't say what happens, but I don't like the end :motz:

I give it a 5/10.

OR

Towards the end of this book there is a lot of good meaning. It was too deep for me. I walked away from this book wanting more, or to understand the meaning behind this book. Some of the lines used are brilliant. One of the characters, The Sheriff, is talked about lots and brings tons of insight to the story. It is rich with meaning, I just could not pick it out. This bugged me. It was the first time I walked away from a book not understanding it. I loved this. I will undoubtedly re-read this book multiple times to try and figure it out.

If I could figure out the meaning behind the story. 10/10.

Bottom Line: Worth a read, but if you want to save time just watch the DVD. ;)

Sam Bourne's books have been a must on my holiday reading list for the last three years, starting with The Righteous Men in 2006. They are fantastic page turners, full of action and I think they've made perfect holiday books. His next book The Chosen One is due to be published next week, I think, so I'm looking forward to getting it for my holiday later this summer.

This is so true. I will have to watch out for that book. I love his writing :motz:

I'm about to start The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly.

Synopsis:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Book-Lost-Things-Novel-John-Connolly/9780743298902-item.html?ref=Books%3a+Search+Top+Sellers

The general grammar rules are tossed out the window. He also used the word "and" very frequently which leads to a lot of run on sentences. ...

Bottom Line: Worth a read, but if you want to save time just watch the DVD. :motz:

Exactly why I'd be completely unable to read it then. I can't stand lots of "ands" in writing. And I tried to watch the movie - got about 20 minutes into it and switched it off as I was so bored! ;)

I really enjoyed this book too. It was recommended to me as I like Dan Brown. I found it a real page turner.

I see you've read John Grisham. I have read only one of his books before, but it was a readers disgest condensed version. I plan to read it again, but i can't remember the name of it. It's the one where a white man represents a black man that is responsible for attacking, or killing (can't remember which one) two men who attacked and raped his little girl. Really enjoyed it. I have The client and Pelican Brief on my list.

I see you've read John Grisham. I have read only one of his books before, but it was a readers disgest condensed version. I plan to read it again, but i can't remember the name of it. It's the one where a white man represents a black man that is responsible for attacking, or killing (can't remember which one) two men who attacked and raped his little girl. Really enjoyed it. I have The client and Pelican Brief on my list.

I believe your talking about A Time to Kill by John Grisham. This is a very powerful novel and I loved it. One of my favorites by him. The movie was good, but the novel was more powerful. He is by far my favorite author. I find myself re-reading his stuff because its just so entertaining.

I saw this book at a book sale and wasn't sure whether to buy it or not. HAve you started it, yet? What do you think of it?

I started this last night. It is my first time reading a John Connolly novel, but I love his writing. I find it to flow well. This book is entertaining so far. The beginning was very touching. The way he describes books and stories was wonderful :motz:

I'm a bit behind here, but I see you read Skipping Christmas .. I read that also and laughed the entire way through it. Just hilarious!

They did a film adaptation of it at some point (with a different title) and it wasn't nearly as good as the book to me.