Something Funny

Susanne

I wonder if anybody could recommend a really funny read for a man? My lovely brother-in-law is serving in Afghanistan at the moment and obviously having a rough time. I want to send him a good book which he can pick up whenever he gets time and read when it suits. I thought of maybe buying him the new Peter Kay book as it did get quite good reviews. I am looking for something really funny, also bearing in mind that he is not really a book reader. Which book(s) would you recommend?

I'd agree with the Peter Kay one - I actually cried with laughter at one point! I also found "Round Ireland with a Fridge" by Tony Hawks(?) very funny. I love the Adrian Mole books too.

Thanks everybody for all your input. I had a quick browse on Amazon and I think I will actually read the books you suggested myself :(. Whilst looking I came across the Zombie Survival Guide. Apparently this guy is deadly serious (or at least appears to be) about how to defend yourself in case of a zombie endemic :D Maybe he knows something we don't :)??

What about John Larkin's "larkin about in Ireland or the pacifist's guide to self-flagellation?"

Below is a extract from the cover:

'Home is where the harp is...' 'An Irish writer's pilgrimage to a homeland he has never lived in'

"John Larkin travels to Ireland in search of his spiritual home, the one his father had left behind in the fifties. Instead, he finds a nation undergoing tremendous change: from poor to rich, religious to secular, leprechauns to boy bands. Ireland is on the move, cutting deals, talking rubbish on mobile phones.

It's a hilarious and often poignant journey up Croagh Patrick, the holies of holy mountains, around The Ring of Kerry, to Knock, home to the tackiest souvenir shops in the world (and an apparition of The Blessed Virgin), and into pubs where the locals still end their days in a lively fall off a bar stool." :welcomeboard:

Anything by David Sedaris. Also, anything by Bill Bryson.

I had not heard of David Sedaris before but the reviews he has got on amazon for his books certainly speak in his favour. 'Me Talk Pretty One Day' in particular sounds very funny. Thanks for the suggestion.

What about John Larkin's "larkin about in Ireland or the pacifist's guide to self-flagellation?"

Sounds very funny and something that can be dipped in and out of but unfortunatly, after a brief search, I have been unable to locate it over here :welcomeboard:. But maybe that's just me.

Thanks though

Susanne x