Your Book Activity - May 2016

frankie

Started reading John Lewis-Stempel's The Running Hare this morning, and have rapidly completed the first 80 pages. Good to get back to great writing - it is beautiful.

I'm reading Meadowlands which I'm enjoying. I started it in January and I've been reading it in monthly installments (as it's written) - the writing is gorgeous.

Started reading Evelina by Fanny Burney.  I'm reading this as my alternative to The Misses Mallett for the Bristol choice in the English Counties Challenge.  I'm sure the latter is a good book, but it it's not in the same league when it comes to fame or acclaim.  Whether Evelina is sufficiently set in Bristol - I'll see!

I pondered that one when we were discussing Bristol too.

She lived in Bath, which I expect you know already, and has a plaque there but it's rather random as it only said she stayed in the house.  She lived in Bath for 10 years so I don't know why the plaque doesn't say that - unless the house she lived in no longer exists!

I'm not surprised you didn't like A Man Called Ove - I didn't think it would be your cup of tea.  :)

Caught up with a few today and also finished The Stars Look Down by A J Cronin for the English Counties Challenge - a bloody brilliant read, much better than my previous one for that challenge (The Dark is Rising).

Yay - I loved The Stars Look Down so I''m so pleased you did too!  :D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I bought Philip Pullman's The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass on kindle. I have the books, but I know my Mum really wanted to read them, and as she can only read in big font (thank you kindle!) this was the way to go. I already had Northern Lights so she is all set.

Today I bought Terry Pratchett's final novel, 'The Shepherd's Crown'. It has been sitting at £9.99 for ages, but finally today it dropped to £4.99.  :D

I finished Sister by Rosamund Lupton. I found it a bit of an unengaging slog, to be honest. Talented writer, but didn't like the set-up, execution, or ending. I liked the twist, I liked the more science-y aspects of the plot, but the rest.... nah. I think maybe Lupton just isn't for me.

Twice I've started The Loney, but I really want to enjoy it and I'm not sure I'm in the mood, so I've picked up The Deadly Space Between by Patricia Duncker. I want to get at least one more book, but preferably two, read this month.

I'm now 25% into Phillip K Dick's short stories (minus Minority Report, which I've read already). I read his King of Elves today and also, from Tennessee Williams omnibus, A Lady's Beaded Bag. Enjoyed both :)

Took time out from Evelina to read Muriel Spark's The Driver's Seat: a very quick read, one sitting job, and one of the most disturbing books I've read in a while. Not one where you want to read the Amazon reviews beforehand either, as many of them give the important plot twists away (fortunately I didn't).

One small landmark: that's my 150th book in the 1001 Books list.

Edited by willoyd

Took time out from Evelina to read Muriel Spark's The Driver's Seat: a very quick read, one sitting job, and one of the most disturbing books I've read in a while. Not one where you want to read the Amazon reviews beforehand either, as many of them give the important plot twists away (fortunately I didn't).

I know I seem like I'm suddenly interacting with everything you write, but you're genuinely just mentioning stuff I'm finding interesting hehe. I've added The Driver's Seat to my wishlist. :D

I know I seem like I'm suddenly interacting with everything you write, but you're genuinely just mentioning stuff I'm finding interesting hehe. I've added The Driver's Seat to my wishlist. :D

I'm not complaining: I'm glad it's proving a bit more than of just passing interest.  I think we all have times wondering whether we're writing for anybody but ourselves!

The Driver's Seat is definitely an odd read - and I've read some pretty odd Muriel Spark books!  They are somewhat addictive though. It's dead slim - I'm glad I bought it as part of the Waterstone's buy one, get one half price, as £8 would have been pricey.

Edited by willoyd

I finished Sister by Rosamund Lupton. I found it a bit of an unengaging slog, to be honest. Talented writer, but didn't like the set-up, execution, or ending. I liked the twist, I liked the more science-y aspects of the plot, but the rest.... nah. I think maybe Lupton just isn't for me.

Bummer! I loved everything about it, so it's a shame you didn't like it. Nevermind....I hope your next read is more enjoyable. :D

Disturbing read? That's it..it's gone on my wishlist. :D  I didn't read any Amazon reviews, but I read the blurb which sounds intriguing. I can't stand reviews where they give important parts of the plot away. So many books do it....Under The Skin springs to mind. I'm very glad I didn't read reviews before I read that book, or all the suspense and mystery (which was what made it such a good read) would have been lost.

I'm still reading The Casual Vacancy, but only read a little bit today. Hayfever is upon me, and my anti-histamine has knocked me about. I got up for about an hour this morning, and then fell asleep on the sofa until about 1pm. :thud: Good thing I had the day off work, but what a waste of a day. :doh:

One small landmark: that's my 150th book in the 1001 Books list.

Congrats :)

I'm still reading The Casual Vacancy, but only read a little bit today. Hayfever is upon me, and my anti-histamine has knocked me about. I got up for about an hour this morning, and then fell asleep on the sofa until about 1pm. :thud: Good thing I had the day off work, but what a waste of a day. :doh:

Awww, that is so annoying :(. I get hayfever too, though not as bad as my dad. I've never had anti-histamine myself, but I hope you feel better soon.

I finished Morgan Matson - Since You've Been Gone, which was a nice read. I will probably pick my next book soon, I have some ideas.

I'm most of the way through The Deadly Space Between, and so far I'm not sure why people find it really disturbing. It's weird for sure but... nyeh.

Started The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan too :)

I was checking out exactly when Allison Wier's new book about Katherine of Aragon will be released (May 31st, payday isn't until the 3rd, so I guess I'll be waiting.

Anyway, I found a Wier book about Mary Boleyn, which I can hardly wait to read... then Amazon tells me I bought it in 2012 :D. I guess I never read it! :P

Awww, that is so annoying :(. I get hayfever too, though not as bad as my dad. I've never had anti-histamine myself, but I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. :smile: I feel better today, and have bought nasal spray and eye drops as they don't knock me about like tablets do.

I've just finished The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling and I absolutely loved it! Next up is Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. I also went to the library today and borrowed Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling, and The Penultimate Truth by Philip K Dick. It's great having all these library books to read but my poor Kindle is getting neglected. :o

Oh neat! I've never even heard of that Phillip K Dick!

Started on Mary Boleyn: Mistress of Kings by Alison Wier. Also download the sample of Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette by Sena Jeter Noslund, even though I've struggled with Antonia Fraser's, hopefully this one is better.

Odd, my friend and I were in Paris and met up with two guys that attended school there. They didn't even remember learning about her! :o

I've just finished The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling and I absolutely loved it! Next up is Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. I also went to the library today and borrowed Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling, and The Penultimate Truth by Philip K Dick. It's great having all these library books to read but my poor Kindle is getting neglected. :o

I'm glad you enjoyed The Casual Vacancy :) (it's on my TBR). I hope you enjoy The Penultimate Truth, I have it on my TBR.

I read and finished Morgan Matson - Second Chance Summer. It was a pretty enjoyable read.

Oh neat! I've never even heard of that Phillip K Dick!

I find PKD very hit and miss but I loved the premise of this one. People have been forced to live in underground bunkers in the belief that WWIII is raging on overhead. However, above ground everything is going on as normal and a group of hoaxers are working to preserve the lie.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Casual Vacancy :) (it's on my TBR). I hope you enjoy The Penultimate Truth, I have it on my TBR.

Thanks Gaia!

I'm also heading out to another smaller library in our local group of libraries. I've never been there before but they have a Michel Faber book I want to borrow (even though I'm kind of drowning in library books :giggle:) so I figured I'd have a look around.

I'm now reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. Early days, but it's ok so far.

:D. I love everything I've read by PKD! I love the synopsis, it's going on the list! Thanks and enjoy Major Pettigrew's Last Stand :)

Today, cleaning up my house, I was admiring my Clive Barker shelf and *gasp* actually pulled out some paper books I haven't read before, The Inhuman Condition, The Damnation Game and Cabal. Very excited! I also pulled out my signed copy of his one act plays, called Forms of Heaven out. Oh! And his business card fell out :o. :P

If only my puppy hadn't ate the cover...

I'm also heading out to another smaller library in our local group of libraries. I've never been there before but they have a Michel Faber book I want to borrow (even though I'm kind of drowning in library books :giggle:) so I figured I'd have a look around.

This sounds like fun :). I love going to the library.

Today, cleaning up my house, I was admiring my Clive Barker shelf and *gasp* actually pulled out some paper books I haven't read before, The Inhuman Condition, The Damnation Game and Cabal. Very excited! I also pulled out my signed copy of his one act plays, called Forms of Heaven out. Oh! And his business card fell out :o. :P

I hope you enjoy the books :)!

I read Maria Semple - Where'd You Go, Bernadette yesterday and I'm currently reading Beth Revis - Across the Universe 1: Across the Universe.

I finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth and quite enjoyed it, will read the second one soon. Now am trying Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brook as I had meant to read it aaaaages ago and then forgot all about it until I saw it mentioned in Willoyd's thead. 

I just got back from a trip to London and of course, I bought some books. Not only is there the flabbergasting Foyles and wonderful Waterstones, there are also the smaller bookstores. I really shouldn't be buying more books, so I had told myself I wouldn't purchase any books. Knowing myself, I added that if I did end up purchasing books, I would allow myself a maximum of three.

I didn't get a chance to get lost in these bookstores the way I love to because I was with my sister and brother-in-law and while my sister's also a reader (not as much as me, but still), my brother-in-law doesn't read books at all, so I didn't want to inconvenience them too much. I'm still very glad they went into all these bookstores with me, though!

Now, for the books I did end up buying:

- Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy. I'd been looking for this one for a while, but wanted to get the edition just right. I found a lovely one in Foyles, but it was too damaged for me to buy as a new book and I'm too shy to ask them if they have other copies of the same edition. I later found a different version I also loved - the Vintage Classics edition - and bought that one.

- The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien. I have these in Dutch, but wanted them in English as well. I bought these around 9.15pm-ish in Waterstones on Piccadilly as my sister and brother-in-law got themselves a drink upstairs and it was so amazing to be strolling through a bookstore at that hour. I bought the movie edition because the other edition had a slightly smaller print.

Well, OH is finally convinced there is something definitely wrong with me - don't blame her!  I have a real 'thing' about keeping books sorted and ordered, being shelved in various categories, and ordered within them.  My biography books have for ages been ordered in chronological order by birth of the subject (you see?!), but it's never felt quite right, and it's been niggling me.  Anyway, today took the bull by the horns today and re-ordered them chronologically, but this time by year of death (with those still alive still ordered by year of birth).  And it works!  Or at least, looking along the lines of the shelves, there's no book that's screaming out at me that it's in the 'wrong' place, whilst some did under the old system.

Sad or sad?!

Edited by willoyd

I just got back from a trip to London and of course, I bought some books. Not only is there the flabbergasting Foyles and wonderful Waterstones, there are also the smaller bookstores. I really shouldn't be buying more books, so I had told myself I wouldn't purchase any books. Knowing myself, I added that if I did end up purchasing books, I would allow myself a maximum of three. [...]

I'm glad you had a great trip :). I hope you enjoy your books!

Well, OH is finally convinced there is something definitely wrong with me - don't blame her!  I have a real 'thing' about keeping books sorted and ordered, being shelved in various categories, and ordered within them.  My biography books have for ages been ordered in chronological order by birth of the subject (you see?!), but it's never felt quite right, and it's been niggling me.  Anyway, today took the bull by the horns today and re-ordered them chronologically, but this time by year of death (with those still alive still ordered by year of birth).  And it works!  Or at least, looking along the lines of the shelves, there's no book that's screaming out at me that it's in the 'wrong' place, whilst some did under the old system.

I think that's pretty cool! I've never thought about doing it that way. My biographies are organised by 'subject', so ie. all the biographies of people with mental illness and syndromes, are next to each other, and the ones about ie. people with cancer are also next to one another.

I finished Beth Revis - Across the Universe 1: Across the Universe. My next read will probably be Beth Revis - Across the Universe 2: A Million Suns.

I'm tied between Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wertzel and Clive Barker's A to Z of Horror. Plus, I have the omnibus of short stories by Tennessee Williams and Philip K Dick going! :o