Where is your favourite reading place?

Spooncat

I mostly sit in the sitting room with my mum and dad or sometimes i sit on my bed. Maybe if i was at a friends i would take my laptop and sit in there sitting room or on there bed and we would chat to are friends on the internet. lol :roll::)

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly w/out these use of a bathttub in India, I'm relegated to the bed, and I also read a lot on the elliptical or treadmill at the gym.. And I read a lot in the car on the way to meetings or running errands. These seem to be my favorite spots as of late. :)

• 4 months later...

I did a search for this and nothing came up, so my apologies if I missed the thread.

So anyway,

Where do you guys read? Do you have a special room? Favorite comfy chair? In Bed? On a plane, train, automobile? Do you guys sip tea or coffee? Light candles or a fire? Bring along a blanket?

Its been really hot lately, so I have been reading outside on the deck. However, this is Canada and normally I read on the couch in front of the fire or in my bed before I fall asleep.

As I think you just saw in another thread, Adam, I have a room that I've made into my library :lurker: It has a very comfy chair which I love to sit in to read. Despite that, I often end up reading on the lounge in the lounge room, but I get most of my reading done during my daily train commute to and from work.

In these cold days, I'll often have a blanket or sometimes the heater to keep me warm. I like to have snacks close at hand and prefer natural light for reading but I also have a lamp.

When I was little I would read when we went to AFL games with thousands of people cheering around me and it wouldn't worry me.

;) I used to read at NRL games when I was little!

At home, I read in my armchair. I have to have good light, so I have an angle-poise lamp on a table next to me so that I can direct the light onto the book where I want it. I do now read in bed before I go to sleep (had stopped doing it for years), but only books I've read before many, many times as I don't really remember what I've read and it just makes me fall asleep, so if it's a book that's new to me, I end up having to re-read all the pages and chapters again the next day anyway. One of my bookshelves upstairs has most of my favourite re-reads on it - authors like Jane Austen, Stephenie Meyer, Jasper Fforde, J. K. Rowling, E. F. Benson.

At work, I read at my desk during my lunchbreak, and although there are only a few other people in my office, I always put some music on my iPod on to drown out the background noise and let me concentrate on the book.

I always carry a book with me when I go out, so I also read in coffee shops, on park benches, on the beach, and even just in the car if I'm waiting to pick someone up.

I'm too interested in my surroundings to read anywhere like at a game, in the car, or even in the staff room at work.

I read when I have nothing else to do, so I don't read as much as I like.

I love reading in the garden, so I love the sunny weather. Mostly I read in bed - although reading doesn't make me fall asleep very easily so I can be there for hours.

At home it's under the attic window,and it's got to be fairly quiet,so if my son's blasting rap music,,,!;) I don't mind faint sounds of crows,seagulls,ice-cream vans drifting thru the window. I can't read on buses or trains-too noisy or too many distractions. But I'm into bikin/hikin and have often packed my backpack with a book and read amongst the trees etc.

These types of threads have all been discussed before, but it was probably a while ago, and they won't be that easy to search for.

Oh, I didn't even see this post. But I remembered the thread title and merged them anyway, I hope that's okay.... ;)

Back in my parent's house it used to be in the bath, soaking up to my nose in scented bubbles until the water turned to ice. Now, however, I lack the bathtub so I do most of my reading on the bus to uni/work. I wouldn't call it my favourite place as I have the most enormous difficulty blocking out outside noise (even the bus telling me "the next stop is London Bridge" puts me off), however it is the only place I have the time to read so I try to make the best of it.

I love to read on the sofa while my OH plays his Xbox and I read every night in bed. My work is not that busy just now so I get to read everyday ;) and as I have my own office its really quiet. I used to love reading in the bath, but we only have a walk in shower so i can't wait until we get our new bathroom :D.

I love reading in bed snuggled up with my cushions and fluffy blanket in the winter and outside in the garden when it's nice enough weather - not had much chance to do that this year ;)

My favourite place is my parents' conservatory (it would be just outside actually in the garden but I'm sure too many bugs would get squished between the pages for my liking!)

Funnily enough, I initially retreated there to get away from the noise of the living room - TV blaring, phones ringing, brother blasting aliens - but one of the things I now love about the conservatory is the sounds. If it's sunny I'll have all the windows open to let in the birdsong, rustling wind in the trees, laughter of kids across in the park as well as the occasional hoot of a train going past the bottom of the garden. Plus I find the creakings of the conservatory settling in the warm somehow very relaxing. On the other hand, I also like it when it's wet out and I'm cosy inside with a mug of tea and my book, hearing the rain rattling on the glass roof.

These types of threads have all been discussed before, but it was probably a while ago, and they won't be that easy to search for.

I really apologize. Now that you have brought this thread up I looked back and discovered I had posted in it two years ago. I'm still trying to get settled back in here ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It has to be my bed. It's comfortable, warm when it's winter, usually quiet and just generally my own place.

If not there then on the sofa downstairs.

And if not there then on the bus or train. However my trips on them never last long enough to read much anymore.

Recently me and my Husband, ben, have started going to the park and having a picnic and then afterwards reading. When it's sunny we put the blankets and cushions on the grass. When it's wet we sit inside our van (which is a big transit), with the doors open, on the blankets and cushions and read there. I have to say it is becoming one of my favourite places to read a book. It's so cozy and i love the fresh air and scenery.