Alex's 2016 Reading

Alexi

The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall 

Synopsis: First published in 1928, this timeless portrayal of lesbian love is now a classic. The thinly disguised story of Hall's own life, it was banned outright upon publication and almost ruined her literary career. (From Goodreads) 

Thoughts: I had never heard of this novel before embarking on the English Counties Challenge but it's something different from what I would normally read and therefore I was happy to pick it up as part of that. 

Unfortunately, it took me a long time to get through and I had to read other books alongside it, as I found it such a slog. 

It's so, so, so depressing. I realise that is the point, as to be a lesbian in this period was no easy feat, but unfortunately it made the book feel like wading through treacle. I read plenty of books where the main characters don't have an easy time and death and tragedy are major themes, but with this it was one thing after another that was quite samey so it lost any resonance. By the end of it I just wanted to slap everyone silly. 

The writing is poor which doesn't help and needed some serious editing both for style and length. It went and bleeding on and I ended up skimming the last portion. 

2/5 (Not my cup of tea)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Synopsis: Mrs. Dalloway is a novel by Virginia Woolf that details a day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway, a fictional high-society woman in post-World War I England. It is one of Woolf's best-known novels.

Created from two short stories, "Mrs Dalloway in Bond Street" and the unfinished "The Prime Minister," the novel addresses Clarissa's preparations for a party she will host that evening. With an interior perspective, the story travels forwards and back in time and in and out of the characters' minds to construct an image of Clarissa's life and of the inter-war social structure. (From Goodreads)

Thoughts: I'm not really sure how review this. I have never tried any Virginia Wool before, but as I feel I should try her, it's on the 1001 list and was one of my replacements on the English Counties Challenge it all seemed to fit in rather nicely. But I approached this with trepidation. I am indeed afraid of Virginia Woolf!

The writing is gorgeous and if nothing else, I'm glad I read it for the sheer literary delight of this novel. It's only short but boy does Woolf pack a lot in - even if this is character, rather than plot led, as a day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway. We are introduced to a range of characters and the novel feels wonderfully rich, and tight. Radclyffe Hall could have learned a thing of two!

This is not a book to be read in snatches, it needs proper thought and digestion. 

Ultimately, this was unlike anything I normally read and although I will try Woolf again I don't think she will become a favourite. 

With this, I felt like I'd gone for a lazy, meandering walk but came to the end wondering how I got to the end of the path I was on. I enjoyed the read and felt like I was getting a lot out of it as I was reading it, but having finished it I struggled to formulate my thoughts on it and gather my wits about what I had just read. 

I found it nearly impossible to rate!

3/5 (I liked it)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still catching up on everything after so long away, but thank you all for your nice wishes :hug:

I had a fantastic day (despite all the worrying I wouldn't!!) and the honeymoon was amazing :)

My heads still spinning from trying to get back on track and I've got a brother in hospital at the moment which doesn't help. He doesn't live near me either so visiting him requires some organisation (although reading time).

I think about 15 reviews behind and I'm so behind on everyone's blogs!

Thank you for your well wishes Janet and Athena. :) He is slowly recovering now, but it's a tricky road, especially for someone as athletic as he is. He's used to daily exercise, but after a week in hospital, he's struggling to get off his couch at the moment! 

I have four months worth of reviews to catch up on... so here is my attempt at doing at least some of that. Might skip some/do some half assed. Let's see. 

Time and Again by Jack Finney 

Synopsis: Si Morley is bored with his job as a commercial illustrator and his social life doesn't seem to be going anywhere. So, when he is approached by an affable ex-football star and told that he is just what the government is looking for to take part in a top-secret programme, he doesn't hesitate for too long. And so one day Si steps out of his twentieth-century, New York apartment and finds himself back in January 1882. There are no cars, no planes, no computers, no television and the word 'nuclear' appears in no dictionaries. For Si, it's very like Eden, somewhere he could find happiness. But has he really been back in time? The portfolio of tintype photographs and sketches that he brings back convince the government. But all Si wants is to return ... (From Amazon)

I hadn't heard of this book before Stephen King's recommendation as part of 11.22.63. I loved that book and I do enjoy time travel stories - when not rooted too far in fantasy, if that makes sense. They are all fantasy to an extent, of course, but I like them to fit in to to our own reality rather than introducing other fantasy elements. As far as that one goes, this fits the bill entirely. 

The government believe there are certain places and circumstances in the world where someone can travel back in time and Si Morley is a suitable candidate. Instantly intrigued, he realises he can solve a 19th century mystery that has been puzzling him and his girlfriend by travelling back to 1882. 

What makes this story stand out is the unravelling of the mystery, which is played perfectly, and the meticulous research which brings New York to life in 1882. The city has a fascinating history and Finney has made full use of that to make a rich timeline that adds so much to what otherwise would "merely' be a well-constructed time travel mystery. 

Finney admits to one change (the Dakota, where Si stays, wasn't constructed until 1885 but it takes him back to 1882) but everything else appears accurate and it's extremely well done. 

One of my favourite reads of the year so far. 

5/5 (It was amazing)

Edited by Alexi

The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford

Synopsis: Nancy Mitford's most famous novel, The Pursuit of Love satirizes British aristocracy in the twenties and thirties through the amorous adventures of the Radletts, an exuberantly unconventional family closely modelled on Mitford's own.

The Radletts of Alconleigh occupy the heights of genteel eccentricity, from terrifying Lord Alconleigh (who, like Mitford's father, used to hunt his children with bloodhounds when foxes were not available), to his gentle wife, Sadie, their wayward daughter Linda, and the other six lively Radlett children. Mitford's wickedly funny prose follows these characters through misguided marriages and dramatic love affairs, as the shadow of World War II begins to close in on their rapidly vanishing world. (From Goodreads)

Thoughts: I had heard of this book before the English Counties Challenge was devised, but knew next to nothing about it. However, reviews on here persuaded me to bump it up the pile. 

Having read this some time ago, I'm struggling to remember much of the intricacies of the plot, but the lively characters and brilliantly sparky dialogue are what remains with me. Some of the family elements are larger than life - but most of those are actually autobiographical, even if I was shaking my head going surely not!

What a household it must have been to grow up in!

The family are determined to seize life and love, and spend their youth dreaming of both. But ultimately, Linda's search for love is littered with pitfalls and really tugs on the heart strings. 

Mitford shows us an aristocratic world that was being threatened by the imminent arrival of World War II and the politics of the time, which are introduced. But ultimately, it's a funny story about an outrageous family. It's often the ending that lets down books, I find, but this one only enhances Mitford's work. 

Thoroughly enjoyable and I shall seek out the next in the series. 

4/5 (I really liked it)

Edited by Alexi

Emma by Jane Austen 

Synopsis: Beautiful, clever, rich - and single - Emma Woodhouse is perfectly content with her life and sees no need for either love or marriage. Nothing, however, delights her more than interfering in the romantic lives of others. But when she ignores the warnings of her good friend Mr. Knightley and attempts to arrange a suitable match for her protegee Harriet Smith, her carefully laid plans soon unravel and have consequences that she never expected. With its imperfect but charming heroine and its witty and subtle exploration of relationships, Emma is often seen as Jane Austen's most flawless work. (From Goodreads)

Thoughts: Another English Counties read, this time for Surrey. This is my second Austen, having started with Pride and Prejudice, which I thoroughly enjoyed. 

Austen can be seen as intimidating, but I think it's often the way classics are presented and taught at school. Although we never studied Austen, any book written before 1900 is presented as terribly "worthy" and not necessarily a fun read. Well, we are doing Austen a disservice, because I thought this was great fun. 

We have our 'heroine' Emma, who is introduced as someone trying to meddle in all the affairs of the rest of the village. She isn't very likeable given we meet her when she is trying to discourage her friend from accepting marriage from someone who has proposed and she would love to marry in favour of someone who doesn't even like her - but is rich! Yet I did find myself liking her, even while wanting to throttle her! 

Austen creates a small community of personalities, and I felt hugely invested in all of them - even though, rather like a romantic comedy movie, the ending is obvious from the moment we begin! 

The language is accessible, and it's a fun read with plenty of layers. Worthy? Maybe, in that it is a classic. But Austen definitely gets a bad rep. Must read more!

5/5 (I loved it) 

An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris

Synopsis: Paris, 1895: an army officer, Georges Picquart, watches a convicted spy, Alfred Dreyfus, being publicly humiliated in front of a baying crowd.

Dreyfus is exiled for life to Devil's Island; Picquart is promoted to run the intelligence unit that tracked him down.
But when Picquart discovers that secrets are still being handed over to the Germans, he is drawn into a dangerous labyrinth of deceit and corruption that threatens not just his honour but his life... (From Amazon)

Thoughts: I love Robert Harris as an author, and this caught my eye after reading Paris, by Edward Rutherfurd, earlier in the year in which Alfred Dreyfus is mentioned. In that book, the Parisians are reacting the case, and it's hugely divisive - given Dreyfus was a Jew in a Europe very much prejudiced against them. However, the exact details aren't really mentioned given it's just dinner table conversation, and the characters would have known the case intimately. So, when I discovered Harris had taken his historical narrative to the story, I immediately sought it out. 

So, to the story. 

It really helps Harris that this case was so controversial and there were so many twists in it, but as ever he makes the most of it. There's a witch hunt, deceit, prejudice, spies, intrigue, the lot, and Harris brings all to life beautifully off the page. 

It is dramatised - so personal details are invented, and some characters from the timeline removed, but it largely remains faithful to real life events. The way this was put together meant the pace just kept going and I was hooked. I can't remember exactly how long it took me but I basically inhaled it because I never wanted to stop reading it. But the way the characters interact, think and behave, plus the fact the narrator is Piquart rather than Dreyfus himself, means I think you would get a lot out of it even if you had more knowledge of the case than me. 

As well as the events of the case itself, Harris weaves in the culture and society of the time - bringing the themes of politics and social issues into play to create a brilliant story. It was a long book (it comes in at over 600 pages) and yet it still left me wanting more. And more. 

Brilliant stuff. 

5/5 (I loved it)

I then read the ABC Murders by Agatha Christie. I was going to review this by simply telling you how I felt at different points of the book.., then I realised that in itself could spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet. 

So all I will say about this one is Christie doesn't let you down. 

Time and Again by Jack Finney 

Ooh, I've had this on my Wish List since I read Reply by Ken Grimwood - I must bump it up the list in the light of your review.  :)

I then read the ABC Murders by Agatha Christie. I was going to review this by simply telling you how I felt at different points of the book.., then I realised that in itself could spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet. 

So all I will say about this one is Christie doesn't let you down.

This is one that Peter and I listened to at New Year and we both thought it was very good.

• 3 weeks later...

At the Sign of the Sugared Plum by Mary Hooper

Synopsis: It is 1665 and Hannah is full of excitement at the prospect of her first trip to London. She is going to help her sister, Sarah, in her candy shop, 'The Sugared Plum'. But Hannah does not get the welcoming reception she expected from her sister, because the Plague is taking hold of London. However, Hannah is determined to stay and together the two young women face the worst-with the possibility of their own demise, growing ever closer. (From Goodreads)

Thoughts: A young adult read about the plague? This sounded like it was going to trivialise the issue, dumb it down or gloss over large parts. But it doesn't do that at all. 

Hannah, our heroine, is an excellent starting point. It may be 1665 but we can recognise the teenage Hannah nonetheless, desperate to get out of her rural existence and head into the big city, find excitement, find love and escape boredom and her parents. Pity the bubonic plague gets in the way... 

The author does very well to bring us in the sights and sounds of London, as well as illustrate the constant fear people lived in - but the need to carry on to make money to buy food. All the small details are there to really bring the period to life for the reader, and she fits in a good yarn as well into what is a quick and easy read. 

Hooper does not ignore the horrors of the plague either, with characters we come to know falling victim to the plague as well - this isn't a case of only 'strangers in the street' dying. 

I also liked how our protaganists had a cat, which the author neatly uses as a way to explain how it was thought that cats carried the plague. Knowing what we know now, it does make you shudder - killing all the cats let the rats run amok!

This may be aimed at teens/young adults but the story is good and there's definitely enough in it for adults to enjoy as well - including this one!

(I originally read this in August and gave it a 3.5, which is interesting given all my memories of it are positive ones....!)

3.5/5 (I enjoyed it)