Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Maureen

I'm not very good at reviewing, and I hope other people will make a better job of this, but this is my 2c worth!

The story is narrated in the 1st person by Pi, now an adult, to the writer. It happened when Pi was a 16 yr old boy and he was trying to get to Canada aboard a cargo ship. He was with his family and as they were the owners of a zoo, some of their animals were travelling with them. Unfortunately the ship sank, and every one aboard drowned except for Pi, a hyena, a zebra, an orang-utan and a huge Bengal tiger.

The story is extraordinary, the author has done an amazing job of making me picture the turn of events very vividly. At times I found myself reading while almost holding my breath, at other full of pity, surprise or despair. I also learnt some stuff I hope I will never need.

Every time I'm on our little boat at sea, I will surely remember this book!

hiya

I have nominated this as the October Read - I think its one of those rare books that will be a classic and one which I think everyone should read!:lol:

I thought it was an extraodinary read - did you think Pi was telling the true story or not?!

As you say at times i held my breath too . i loved this book , will treasure it and one i will no doubt read again

kayx

Agree with you both, it's a fascinating little book

I must be a bit dim though as

I didn't realise that 'Mr Whatever his name was' (read it a while ago and can't remember the name) was the tiger. Doh!

Oh yes, I read it quite a while ago now and still parts of it remain with me

It's been a while for me too, but if I remember anything, it was a contradiction between what Pi told about the events and what the rescuers considered likely to have happened.

Oh i see. Sorry about that. well.......

Pi told his story (the one narrated during the whole book) to the two colleagues at the Ministry of Transport, but they did not believe him. They asked him for the straight facts - a story that is more believable, and he told them a second story. The second story is more credible to them. I would have gone with the first one.

I don't think this was a true story, and I hope it wasn't! It would be more terrifying if it were. Poor Pi!

V - his name was Richard Parker. :-)

Maureen

no I wasnt saying it was a true story but rather that the rescuers didnt believe him - i wondered what you thought and you've answered that now! brilliant book i may have to re read it soon

I read this book a few years ago, but I'd like to read it again (as I always seem to be saying :smile2:). I recall getting to the end of it, reading the "second story", and thinking I should re-read the first part of it to see the similarities.

I think the second story is the true one, as the first one just isn't probable (:)), but I do think it is how Pi's mind interpreted it through stress (

substituting animals for people, based on their characters

).

• 2 months later...

The three sections of the book irritated me. I loved the middle section - the one everyone talks about; Pi on the boat with the tiger.

But the opening section with Pi's childhood seemed, well, long winded and often a bit pointless.

And then the "second story" which you believe if you want "facts" rather than "faith", is just annoying as hell. I mean, I know that it's vital to the implication of the book, that religion is they key and leads to more wonder and so on, but I'd have just preferred the boy-and-tiger yarn, because the stuff at the end comes through so weakly and wetly and feebly.

It turned what was a really fun book into an irritating book that was trying too hard to play the religion card (oh look, Hindu orange in the boat, green islam island, white christianity of boat itself, etc). Pah.

Perhaps that's just me, though.

Oh, and I really didn't like the "author's introduction" to the story, implying it was "true" when it wasn't. What was the point of that?

Perhaps I'm being too critical, but the book was so highly praised I think it deserves the criticism.

• 4 weeks later...