Kylie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I'm glad the shows went well and that it's almost sold out :)!

I hope you enjoy your two books :). I don't own the second or third book in the Cormoran Strike series yet. I haven't read the first one yet and I was waiting for paperback releases. I hope you enjoy this third book.

I haven't started The Long War series yet either but I do own all 4 books. I hope you enjoy it :).

Thanks Athena! I do the same thing with books I want (wait for the right-sized paperback to come out before I get it). :)

I've read pretty good things about The Long Earth series, so I have high hopes for it. :)

I had to look up zumbaron. It looks like a macaroon ? :)

Yep, it's exactly the same. I guess Adriano just wanted to get his name on it. ;) Mmm, those Zumbarons were delicious.

I received a few books in the mail today:

Alain de Botton The News: A User's Manual

I've been wanting this since it came out, but I've never found it at a cheap enough price...until now. :) It's a lovely little hardback.

David Crystal Making a Point: The Pernickety Story of English Punctuation

Another hardback. But it was so cheap that I couldn't resist! I love the topics that Crystal writes about.

MRC Kasasian Death Descends on Saturn Villa

I know other Gower Street fans on this forum didn't enjoy this book very much, but I still have to give it a go myself. :) On the bright side, I'll be going into it with very low expectations, which means it will take quite a lot to disappoint me!

I've also ordered Justin Cronin's The Twelve. I was browsing a local online bookshop the other day, and to my surprise they were selling the illustrated hardback of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for only $12! :o That's insanely cheap. I think it usually sells for around $50 or something. It's so cheap that I'm wondering if it was an error. I ordered it anyway, but I'm half expecting to receive an email telling me they made a mistake and can't send it to me for that price, as it just seems too good to be true! The book is now listed on the site as unavailable, but they are selling the US version (with 'Sorcerer's Stone' in the title) for $55.50.

Tomorrow night I'm going to the inner city to see my favourite band, The Cat Empire. They're playing in my favourite suburb, Newtown, which is a bit of hipster place with lots of good restaurants and, more importantly, bookshops! :D I'm going to head in a few hours before the concert so I can do some shopping. :D

I hope you enjoy all your new books :). Making a Point: The Pernickety Story of English Punctuation is a great title, I hope the book is interesting (it sounds good). $12 AUS dollar seems incredibly cheap, I hope you get the book for that price!

I hope you enjoy(ed) seeing your favourite band :D.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was her. Oh, and there's big news in the world of The Book Club! They've changed the format this year. Instead of monthly shows, they're going to start later in the year (May) and do 13 shows over 13 weeks. I'm not sure how they'll find time to read the books if it's weekly. *shrugs*

Oh wow... But like you said, I don't get how they are going to be able to read all the books? Unless they've been given the list of books for months beforehand... Give them time to prepare. But suppose they'll have forgotten all the good stuff about the books they read, when it's the time to start talking about them. Very odd!  Have they started already for the year? 

Every couple of months I half-heartedly look inside a box, see what's there, and think 'Oh dear, I'll deal with that later'. At least the piles of stuff give the cats something to lay on/explore. 

:lol: There's the silver lining... 

I've also been fascinated for quite a while with the tiny house movement. I don't think I could live in one myself (not with 2 cats and all of my books, anyway!), but I love the idea of having just the possessions you really need. It's really inspiring to see people turning away from consumerism. Living in a digital world also helps, as it makes it easier to get rid of old DVDs, CDs and photos. My Mum recently asked me to buy her some Beatles music for Mother's Day, so the next time she came over I gave her all of my Beatles albums, plus loads of other music I knew she'd like. I know Kondo says you shouldn't unload your stuff on your relatives (oops!) but every time I speak to Mum she tells me how much she's enjoying the CDs, so I know it was the right move.

I can't believe you were able to give away your Beatles albums! But they went to a good home, obviously :smile2: 

I've received a few books in the mail this week. Yesterday I received Peter Ackroyd's biography of Alfred Hitchcock, and today I received three Erast Fandorin books (which I think now completes my collection): 

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #6: The State Counsellor

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #7: The Coronation

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #9: He Lover of Death

You've now got the whole series?! :D Oh my.... I feel like I'm behind! I hope the rest of the series will be as good as the first novel :smile2: 

In between working I was attending rehearsals (including a full-day dress rehearsal last Saturday) for The Sound of Music. We have one more rehearsal tomorrow and then open on Saturday (yikes!) We'll be doing two shows each Saturday for 5 weeks. It's come along really well and is going to be a fantastic show. We've had a few friends in to watch it and the reviews have been positive. My job backstage is kind of difficult. We have a few big props that take up at least half of the space in the wings (which is a very small space to begin with), leaving very little room to move for the cast and crew (and there are dozens of cast members!) I also never seem to have the same backstage crew twice, and whenever someone new arrives to help out, it adds another layer of stress because I have to watch/teach them instead of just focusing on my job. It's challenging but also fun. 

Having the crew changing constantly must be a real drag for you! But it'll keep you on your toes.. :D It sounds like you're having so much fun with it! And I'm so happy that it's a full audience! 

I received a few books in the mail today:

Alain de Botton The News: A User's Manual

I've been wanting this since it came out, but I've never found it at a cheap enough price...until now. It's a lovely little hardback.

Is this re: Georges Perec? :)

I was browsing a local online bookshop the other day, and to my surprise they were selling the illustrated hardback of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for only $12! That's insanely cheap. I think it usually sells for around $50 or something. It's so cheap that I'm wondering if it was an error. I ordered it anyway, but I'm half expecting to receive an email telling me they made a mistake and can't send it to me for that price, as it just seems too good to be true! The book is now listed on the site as unavailable, but they are selling the US version (with 'Sorcerer's Stone' in the title) for $55.50.

Holy crap, that's a bargain if I ever saw one! :o When will it be arriving? 

Tomorrow night I'm going to the inner city to see my favourite band, The Cat Empire. They're playing in my favourite suburb, Newtown, which is a bit of hipster place with lots of good restaurants and, more importantly, bookshops! I'm going to head in a few hours before the concert so I can do some shopping. 

I hope you had a blast!  :friends3:   Go Newtown! :D 

MRC Kasasian Death Descends on Saturn Villa

I know other Gower Street fans on this forum didn't enjoy this book very much, but I still have to give it a go myself. :) On the bright side, I'll be going into it with very low expectations, which means it will take quite a lot to disappoint me!

I was one of those who was disappointed with the book. I hope you enjoy it more than I did!  :smile: 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been quite busy lately and haven't had much time for reading, but things are slowing down now, and I've just finished reading Dead Reckoning, having read most of it in the past couple of days.

In other book news, I received my beautiful new hardback copy of Jim Kay's illustrated Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It turns out that the website I purchased it from did indeed make a big mistake when they offered the book at a price of $12, but they kindly honoured the price. They sent an email saying that they had been (unsurprisingly) inundated with purchases, so I'd have to wait at least 4 weeks while they received more stock from their supplier. I was quite OK with that, but happily I only had to wait about a week before it arrived. :) It's gorgeous.

Back in February I made a great find at the bookfair in a lovely big hardback called Letters of Note, 'a collection of over one hundred of the world's most entertaining, inspiring and unusual letters'. There is now a second edition, called More Letters of Note, which I found online the other day for just $20 (more than half of what one would usually have to pay for it!) So of course I snapped it up. :) I'm hoping it'll arrive this week.

In non-book news, I finished my stage managing gig for The Sound of Music on the weekend. We sold out for all 10 shows (except the first one, I think, but that was close to sold out). Everyone seemed to love it, and all of the cast and crew had a great time. I don't have too much time to rest, though, because we're holding auditions for our next show, The 39 Steps, this Thursday. I'll be the stage manager and producer for this one, which means I'll be even more heavily involved. :) I'm really excited to get started on it.

Back in February I made a great find at the bookfair in a lovely big hardback called Letters of Note, 'a collection of over one hundred of the world's most entertaining, inspiring and unusual letters'.

Have you read it, Kylie?  I've had it on my 'to read' pile since 2013 but I haven't really looked closely at it!  :blush:

I'm more than halfway through Jeeves in the Offing by PG Wodehouse. I love Wodehouse so much! I'd dearly love to direct a Jeeves and Wooster play; it would be perfect for my theatre group and the type of audience we attract. I've never directed before, but I think if I aim for 2018 I'll have a bit more theatre experience under my belt and might be allowed to do it. :D

Do it, Kylie! It would be so much fun  :D  Have been watching old Jeeves and Wooster videos on youtube lately, Fry and Laurie are superb for the parts, as are all the actors involved.

I bought Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling yesterday, as it's finally come out in the edition I wanted. It ended up being free because I had a few dollars left on a gift card and enough reward points to cover the rest of it. :)

I read the first page earlier and was in stitches laughing by the end of it. :D

Another Bryson fan, that's not one I've caught up with yet. Loved Notes From a Small Island, so must look this one out.

Hi Julie! Long time no see. :) I hope you're well.

Today I bought Graeme Simsion's The Rosie Effect. I haven't really done any reading since finishing my Bill Bryson book (which was excellent). I had a really big job last week.

Loved The Rosie Project and this one. Very funny and well written. :D

Alan Bradley has a new "Flavia" book coming out in, I believe, September. I am anxiously awaiting it.

Oooo oooo oooo :jump:  Another Flavia on the way!! Thanks for the heads up Muggles :D

How nice the shop honoured the price, and the book arrived so fast :). I hope you enjoy the book, as well as More Letters of Note. Nice you found it for a cheaper price. I hope it will arrive soon.

I'm glad the show of The Sound of Music went well :). Good luck with the next show, and have fun :).

I was quite busy with work late last week, but I still managed to get some reading done. After pulling an all-nighter to get a few jobs done on Saturday, I headed up the Blue Mountains, where a secondhand bookshop was having a 20% off sale to celebrate the Queen's birthday long weekend (the only good thing about not being a republic :P). I bought a small stack of books there.

Then I thought I'd make a day of it and head further up the mountains to another secondhand bookshop that I haven't visited in a few years (not sure why—it's an awesome shop!) I wasn't even sure if it would still be in business, but happily it was, and I found a few more books there.

Next, I visited a nearby indie bookshop that sells only new books. And when I say 'new', I mean new. They were mostly hardbacks and large format paperbacks. It was unlike other bookshops in that it sold a lot of books I hadn't even heard of before. Usually you see the same types of books in bookshops (new releases, best-sellers), but this one was different, and I loved it for that! They also sold other quirky book-related items. There were some gorgeous book bags with the covers of some of my favourite books. And I found a set of literary postcards that I really wanted...I ended up ringing my mum and suggesting that I buy them for her to give me at Christmas, and she agreed!  :blush2:  I bought a book there too. :)

Fiction

Earl Derr Biggers A Charlie Chan Omnibus

Agatha Christie Curtain: Poirot's Last Case

Agatha Christie Mrs McGinty's Dead

Arthur C Clarke The Songs of Distant Earth

Edmund Crispin Buried for Pleasure

Edmund Crispin The Case of the Gilded Fly

Patricia Highsmith The Blunderer

Françoise Sagan Bonjour Tristesse

Dorothy L Sayers Whose Body?

Non-Fiction

Nick Brownlee Vive Le Tour! Wiggo and the Amazing Tales of The Tour de France

Paul Hansford The Tour de France: The Good, the Bad and the Just Plain Weird

John Locke Of the Abuse of Words

Andrew Ramsey The Wrong Line

Simon Winchester The River at the Centre of the World

I was just randomly thinking about you today!

I'm glad you had a good time- and so many lovely books... I wish we had bookstores like that here (well, I'm sure in San Francisco)!

How's the stage? :)

I hope you enjoy all your new books, how lucky you found so many nice ones :D. I quite like those postcards, a great find :). I wish our bookshops would sell stuff like that more often, well a few Dutch ones do, but none near me.

In other book news, I received my beautiful new hardback copy of Jim Kay's illustrated Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It turns out that the website I purchased it from did indeed make a big mistake when they offered the book at a price of $12, but they kindly honoured the price. They sent an email saying that they had been (unsurprisingly) inundated with purchases, so I'd have to wait at least 4 weeks while they received more stock from their supplier. I was quite OK with that, but happily I only had to wait about a week before it arrived. :) It's gorgeous.

Aww, poor bookshop, but lucky Kylie! :D I'm also impressed how quick they were to deliver, despite, and actually because of, their predictions. Enjoy the book, I can only imagine how gorgeous it is! 

In non-book news, I finished my stage managing gig for The Sound of Music on the weekend. We sold out for all 10 shows (except the first one, I think, but that was close to sold out). Everyone seemed to love it, and all of the cast and crew had a great time. I don't have too much time to rest, though, because we're holding auditions for our next show, The 39 Steps, this Thursday. I'll be the stage manager and producer for this one, which means I'll be even more heavily involved. :) I'm really excited to get started on it.

Well done, Kylie! :smile2: No rest for the wicked.... What does the producing bit entail? How did the auditions go? 

I was quite busy with work late last week, but I still managed to get some reading done. After pulling an all-nighter to get a few jobs done on Saturday, I headed up the Blue Mountains, where a secondhand bookshop was having a 20% off sale to celebrate the Queen's birthday long weekend (the only good thing about not being a republic :P). I bought a small stack of books there.

God save the Queen because of the books! :D By the way, I just read an Aussie book a while ago. Parramatta and Katoomba were mentioned (as well as Sydney, of course :) ) Why does Parramatta sound familiar... 

• 2 weeks later...

Received three books in the mail today:

Reed Albergotti & Vanessa O'Connell Wheelmen: Lance Armstrong, the Tour de France and the Greatest Sports Conspiracy Ever

Laline Paull The Bees (thanks to Kay)

Ronald Rosbottom When Paris Went Dark (thanks to Anna)

• 4 weeks later...

This must be a new record (low): responding to messages two months late. :( Sorry Sari!

Oh wow... But like you said, I don't get how they are going to be able to read all the books? Unless they've been given the list of books for months beforehand... Give them time to prepare. But suppose they'll have forgotten all the good stuff about the books they read, when it's the time to start talking about them. Very odd!  Have they started already for the year?

I think the show has nearly ended already. I haven't managed to catch a single episode. :o I just keep forgetting it's on, and the weekly format probably has something to do with it too. 

I can't believe you were able to give away your Beatles albums! But they went to a good home, obviously :smile2:

Sometimes when I ring mum I can hear my music in the background. :D

I started having a big clean out the other day. I bagged up probably half of the clothes I own, with around half to go to charity and the other half to be thrown out (not fit to donate). It's so liberating!! I'm nearly done with my clothes but still have the rest of the house to go through.

You've now got the whole series?! :D Oh my.... I feel like I'm behind! I hope the rest of the series will be as good as the first novel :smile2:

Well, I have as many of the Fandorin books as have been translated into English. It looks like the last several books haven't been translated. I hope that doesn't mean they've stopped translating them. :(

Is this re: Georges Perec? :)

No. :) From the Book Depository:

'Alain de Botton turns now to look at the manic and peculiar positions that 'the news' occupies in our lives. We invest it with an authority and importance which used to be the preserve of religion - but what does it do for us? Mixing current affairs with philosophical reflections, de Botton offers a brilliant illustrated guide to the precautions we should take before venturing anywhere near the news and the 'noise' it generates. Witty and global in reach, The News will ensure you'll never look at reports of a celebrity story or political scandal in quite the same way again.'

It sounds excellent. :) He's just published another book too, called The Course of Love. I was going to try not to buy it because I now have about half a dozen of his books to read, but then I read part of an excerpt of the book, and it sounds really great.

I was one of those who was disappointed with the book. I hope you enjoy it more than I did!  :smile:

As it happens, I rather did enjoy Death Descends on Saturn Villa! :) I think I had (mistakenly) gained the impression from other reviews that March and Sydney were apart for most of the book, but it didn't turn out that way at all. They were only separated for a bit.

I did have a couple of problems with the book, but they escape me now, even though I can remember the plot quite well. I get confused with the way Kasasian writes his stories. I feel like I'm always struggling to keep up...like I'm only reading every other sentence or something. But I don't think it's a problem with the plot, per se; it's just his writing. I don't know if that makes sense.  :blush2:

And there were inconsistencies in Sydney's character that bothered me. He was much more of a jerk at times (unnecessarily so), but not at others. And in the parts of the book told from his point of view, some of his writing didn't seem to be consistent with his character (for example, he'd include information about things that he'd usually mock other people for doing).

But overall I enjoyed it, and I'll definitely continue with the series.

Have you read it, Kylie?  I've had it on my 'to read' pile since 2013 but I haven't really looked closely at it!  :blush:

Re Letters of Note: I've flicked through it and read a couple of bits and pieces. It looks great, but it's probably something I'll be dipping into rather than reading straight through. I do recommend looking more closely at it. :) It's such a gorgeous book. It practically begs to be allowed to sit on the coffee table so I can pick it up from time to time. :)

I can't remember if I've already mentioned this, but did you know there's also a Lists of Note by the same author? It's an equally beautiful hardcover book and looks equally fascinating. I think I'll put it on my Christmas wish list this year. :)

Do it, Kylie! It would be so much fun  :D  Have been watching old Jeeves and Wooster videos on youtube lately, Fry and Laurie are superb for the parts, as are all the actors involved.

It would be great fun to do a J&W play. :) I'm going to see the London production soon (that is, I'm going to see it in Sydney when it comes to visit), so I'll get a better idea of whether it's something I'd like to do. :)

Another Bryson fan, that's not one I've caught up with yet. Loved Notes From a Small Island, so must look this one out.

I've been interested to see that some people who loved Notes from a Small Island think that Bryson whinges more in The Road to Little Dribbling, but I thought it was quite the opposite! NfaSI is actually my least favourite Bryson book for that reason. I think I really need to revisit it one day to see if there's as much whinging as I (think I) remember.  :D

I was just randomly thinking about you today!

I'm glad you had a good time- and so many lovely books... I wish we had bookstores like that here (well, I'm sure in San Francisco)!

How's the stage? :)

I hope they were good thoughts! ;):D

I'd love love love to go to San Francisco one day! And the rest of California too...and the rest of the country. But I'd definitely start in San Fran (is that what locals call it, or is that a tourist thing?)

I hope you enjoy all your new books, how lucky you found so many nice ones :D. I quite like those postcards, a great find :). I wish our bookshops would sell stuff like that more often, well a few Dutch ones do, but none near me.

Thanks Gaia. :) I love looking at bookish thing almost as much as looking at books. :) I went to a bookshop with my mum on the weekend and saw a gorgeous Gone with the Wind pencil case that matches my beautiful hardcover edition of the book (it's a re-creation of the original 1930s cover). I talked myself out of buying it because I don't actually need a pencil case and I'm trying to reduce clutter in my house.

Great book haul ; I do like those Edmund Crispin`s.  :smile:

Thanks! I haven't actually read anything by Crispin yet, but he's one of those authors that I'm sure I'll really enjoy. :)

Aww, poor bookshop, but lucky Kylie! :D I'm also impressed how quick they were to deliver, despite, and actually because of, their predictions. Enjoy the book, I can only imagine how gorgeous it is!

It's so purdy!

Well done, Kylie! :smile2: No rest for the wicked.... What does the producing bit entail? How did the auditions go?

Producing involves liaising with everyone else and making sure things are on track re sound lighting, publicity, program, props, costumes etc. N has been doing a lot of stuff himself, which is good, but I've been kept busy driving around Sydney to source different props. There's rather a lot involved in this play!

The auditions were good. We're now less than three weeks from opening and still have a lot to do. Yikes! The main character is overseas for the next two weeks, but he has a really good work ethic, so we know he'll be practicing his lines while he's away. A couple of cast members were sick last week, which is a problem when there are only four people in the entire cast! We ended up skipping a rehearsal. There have also been problems with the availability of my backstage crew (as in, I only have one person to help me so far when I actually need a minimum of four!) Hopefully they'll all be on board this week and things will start going more smoothly.

God save the Queen because of the books! :D By the way, I just read an Aussie book a while ago. Parramatta and Katoomba were mentioned (as well as Sydney, of course :) ) Why does Parramatta sound familiar...

Hmm, not sure. I don't think we ever went to Parramatta, but we would have gone through it on the train on our way into the city. It's halfway between Penrith and Sydney. Woof.

This was going to be a brief post about my recent book activity, but it turned into an actual review...

I finished reading Wheelmen: Lance Armstrong, the Tour de France and the Greatest Sports Conspiracy Ever by Reed Albergotti & Vanessa O'Connell, which was a fascinating read about the widespread doping among cyclists. It's hard to believe how many people were involved, what they got away with, how long they got away it, and especially the lengths they went to to conceal it all!

Lance Armstrong comes across as a massive bully and a generally horrible person. I'm no expert, but I'd say he's a sociopath. I can't believe he only confessed to doping in 2013, but he'd been testing positive for at least a decade. It's unbelievable how many people were involved and how many lives were ruined (directly by Lance) when people tried to speak out about it.

I highly doubt cycling will ever be a clean sport, but I still enjoy watching it, and I try not to think about who might be doping. As I type, Chris Froome is a couple of hours away from winning his third Tour de France. I'd be highly surprised if questions aren't asked about him...and yet I don't think I've heard a single commentator even mention doping, which is odd given how widespread it must still be. And that's how Lance got away with it...he became such a big sports star that people didn't want to knock him down, even when they knew the truth.

There were a few downsides to this book. First, there was a lengthy chapter on someone who ended up a bit player in the whole story (in fact, I think he was one of the few people who had nothing to do with doping). It seemed that the authors decided to include everything the guy had given them in their interviews...which turned out to be his whole life story. Second, the book also got a bit bogged down in the business side of things, which was a little dull. Third, it moved forwards and backwards in time a lot. The authors would mention a date but no year, so I often became confused about where I was in the timeline (the main part of it covered the late 1990s to the early 2010s). I think it could have benefited from clarifying the year occasionally. Lastly, the editor in me hated the inconsistent use of acronyms. Usually an acronym is defined the first time it appears, and thereafter only the acronym is used. This book jumped all over the place, sometimes using the acronym followed by the spelt-out version in the same or following sentence. It was so frustrating!

In short, the book was great, but it would have been even better with a great editor.

OK, now for other recent book activity.

I recently started reading A Red Herring without Mustard by Alan Bradley. I'm only a chapter or two in so far.

On Saturday I went book shopping with mum and came home with the following:

Agatha Christie Parker Pyne Investigates

Agatha Christie Passenger to Frankfurt

Justin Cronin The Twelve

Susan Hill The Woman in Black and Other Ghost Stories

Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter The Long Earth #3: The Long Mars

The best part is that I only had to pay for the two Agatha Christie books. The rest were bought using a gift card and my loyalty reward points. :) I bought the two Christie novels because they're not ones I see around very often. I have a large number of ACs in my favoured editions, and I've bought most of them secondhand, so it was nice to splurge on some new ones.

I was particularly stoked to stumble across the Susan Hill book. It's a gorgeous hardback and contains four or five of her books in one volume. I had been buying them separately, but now I can stop doing that. (Who am I kidding? If I find them cheaply enough, I'll probably buy them. They're such beautiful little hardbacks!) The Woman in Black is one of my favourite books, so I'm very happy to now have a beautiful edition to treasure.