Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2016

Kylie

I hope you like it, it broke my heart but it should be a must read for everyone, along with The Book Thief/The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. 

I loved The Book Thief and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, so that bodes well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm more than halfway through Jeeves in the Offing by PG Wodehouse. I love Wodehouse so much! I'd dearly love to direct a Jeeves and Wooster play; it would be perfect for my theatre group and the type of audience we attract. I've never directed before, but I think if I aim for 2018 I'll have a bit more theatre experience under my belt and might be allowed to do it. :D

I received a book in the mail today: Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. Been wanting this for ages. The edition that arrived is not what I ordered...it's even better! I thought I'd be getting an older-style Wordsworth edition with a mostly red cover, but I got a more recent one from the black (with red 'blood') 'Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural' series. Very happy.  :)

And another book I ordered has been shipped and will hopefully arrive tomorrow: Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. I read The Yellow Wallpaper by her a few years ago and loved it, and while looking up stuff online about my current read, A Strange Manuscript Found in a Copper Cylinder, I discovered that Gilman had written a similar utopian novel, but set on a female-only island where men are not needed for reproduction. Should be good!

Thanks Athena!

On a whim, I've started reading Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I noticed early on that she likes to repeat herself a lot, so I'm more skim-reading it so I can just take away the most important bits (I'm not interested in thanking my objects for their service or anything). The problem with reading it now is that I immediately want to spring into action, but I can't because I have a lot of work on my plate. I can't wait to pile all of my clothes on the floor and start culling! :) I mostly skipped the sections on getting rid of books. It just ain't gonna happen, Kondo! Every single book I own 'sparks joy', so there's no need to even go into it. I laughed at this bit: '...it seems to me that people have far more unread books than they once did, ranging from three to more than forty'. :rolol:

Thanks Athena!

On a whim, I've started reading Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I noticed early on that she likes to repeat herself a lot, so I'm more skim-reading it so I can just take away the most important bits (I'm not interested in thanking my objects for their service or anything). The problem with reading it now is that I immediately want to spring into action, but I can't because I have a lot of work on my plate. I can't wait to pile all of my clothes on the floor and start culling! :) I mostly skipped the sections on getting rid of books. It just ain't gonna happen, Kondo! Every single book I own 'sparks joy', so there's no need to even go into it. I laughed at this bit: '...it seems to me that people have far more unread books than they once did, ranging from three to more than forty'. :rolol:

Does it spark joy? :D I loved this book, yes it is a little repetitive but I took a lot away from it and it has made a huge difference to my home and how I/we live in it. I can almost always find what I am looking for, there is so much less c**p everywhere and I know that almost everything in the house makes me happy or has a purpose.

Like you, I pretty much ignored what she said about books, though I did get rid of about thirty or forty, mainly cook books and other non fiction.

I do actually need to have another 'go through', I'll look through my clothes again and see what I couldn't bear to part with in the Autumn thinking I would wear in the Winter, and didn't. Plus, we are having work done soon, including a new kitchen, so I need to give that more of a go, I have lots of plates that I seemed to end up with after my Nan died that I never use (they have a gold rim and can't go in the dishwasher, and I hate hand washing!) plus gadgets that I never use, avocado slicer anyone?! :D

I'm so pleased to know it's been working for you! :) One reason why I'm particularly keen to go through my stuff is because I'm seriously considering selling up and moving later this year, and I just can't stomach the thought of packing up all of the junk I've accumulated in the past 8 years and carting it somewhere else, where it will only get in my way again while I procrastinate instead of doing something about it. As I type this, I'm sitting on my bed, and to one side is a huge pile of clothes and linens that I have to keep stepping over, and on the other side is a huge pile of junk in (and on top of) boxes that I put there when I was having my downstairs floors redone nearly a year ago! Every couple of months I half-heartedly look inside a box, see what's there, and think 'Oh dear, I'll deal with that later'. At least the piles of stuff give the cats something to lay on/explore. ;)

I've also been fascinated for quite a while with the tiny house movement. I don't think I could live in one myself (not with 2 cats and all of my books, anyway!), but I love the idea of having just the possessions you really need. It's really inspiring to see people turning away from consumerism. Living in a digital world also helps, as it makes it easier to get rid of old DVDs, CDs and photos. My Mum recently asked me to buy her some Beatles music for Mother's Day, so the next time she came over I gave her all of my Beatles albums, plus loads of other music I knew she'd like. I know Kondo says you shouldn't unload your stuff on your relatives (oops!) but every time I speak to Mum she tells me how much she's enjoying the CDs, so I know it was the right move. :)

I loved The Magic Tidy book, but also found it really didn`t apply to books - and that`s the main `untidies` in the house. Still, my cat does enjoy climbing from book pile to book pile.  :giggle2:

I have the second book - Spark Joy - still to read.  :smile:

I've also been fascinated for quite a while with the tiny house movement. I don't think I could live in one myself (not with 2 cats and all of my books, anyway!), but I love the idea of having just the possessions you really need. It's really inspiring to see people turning away from consumerism.

I love looking at pictures and videos of 'tiny houses'. They look so organised and uncluttered, and look like they have everything that a person needs. But then I look around me, and even though I'm surrounded by so much "stuff", I would struggle to get rid of most of it because I either "need" it now, or will "need" it later. :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling yesterday, as it's finally come out in the edition I wanted. It ended up being free because I had a few dollars left on a gift card and enough reward points to cover the rest of it. :)

I read the first page earlier and was in stitches laughing by the end of it. :D

In other news, I've gone back to reading Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. I had only read a few pages of it before, but I read about 20 pages in one go the other day, and that allowed me to get into it a bit more. I've also decided to pick up Guns, Germs and Steel again. And on top of that I picked up Christopher Hitchens' The Portable Atheist, which I think will be fascinating. It's quite a big book, and full of essays, so it'll be one that I dip in and out of.

I liked Shades of Grey ; I thought he created a fascinating world. Pity that a sequel doesn`t seem forthcoming.  :smile:

EDIT - Just thought I`d have a look at Jasper Fforde`s page and it looks like there`s a prequel on the way. Oooh.  :D

He's tempted us before with news of books to be forthcoming that have never appeared though, so I'll wait until I see it in the shop before I believe it! :D

I bought Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling yesterday, as it's finally come out in the edition I wanted. It ended up being free because I had a few dollars left on a gift card and enough reward points to cover the rest of it. :)

I read the first page earlier and was in stitches laughing by the end of it. :D

In other news, I've gone back to reading Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. I had only read a few pages of it before, but I read about 20 pages in one go the other day, and that allowed me to get into it a bit more. I've also decided to pick up Guns, Germs and Steel again. And on top of that I picked up Christopher Hitchens' The Portable Atheist, which I think will be fascinating. It's quite a big book, and full of essays, so it'll be one that I dip in and out of.

I really enjoyed Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. I also hope he comes out with another in this series soon.

Alan Bradley has a new "Flavia" book coming out in, I believe, September. I am anxiously awaiting it.

Curently reading Go Set A Watchman. :)

I loved The Magic Tidy book, but also found it really didn`t apply to books - and that`s the main `untidies` in the house. Still, my cat does enjoy climbing from book pile to book pile.  :giggle2:

I have the second book - Spark Joy - still to read.  :smile:

:D

I think I'll read Spark Joy too. I started a bit of tidying with my clothes the other day. I didn't have time to do it all at once (Marie wouldn't be happy with that  :giggle2:) but I managed to sort a small pile of clothes into throw-outs and donations. Still got loads to do, but I'm already feeling a bit happier. :)

I love looking at pictures and videos of 'tiny houses'. They look so organised and uncluttered, and look like they have everything that a person needs. But then I look around me, and even though I'm surrounded by so much "stuff", I would struggle to get rid of most of it because I either "need" it now, or will "need" it later. :doh:

They do look lovely, don't they? But I recently read a blog post by someone who showed the reality of living in a tiny home. Her one chair was piled high with clothes and other stuff, and there was stuff everywhere. :D As I've heard tiny house people say, you really have to put everything back in its spot as soon as you've finished with it. I don't think I could do that!

I think there's a happy medium for me between tiny houses and large houses. A small cottage would be perfect for me. :)

I think I'll read Spark Joy too. I started a bit of tidying with my clothes the other day. I didn't have time to do it all at once (Marie wouldn't be happy with that  :giggle2:) but I managed to sort a small pile of clothes into throw-outs and donations. Still got loads to do, but I'm already feeling a bit happier. :)

Hurray ! Well done !  :D  I am slowly going through video tapes which I`ve had for ages ( currently on S3 of Damages ) - it`s a small start, but it`s a start. :)

I think there's a happy medium for me between tiny houses and large houses. A small cottage would be perfect for me.  :)

Would you have a large Library annexe ?  ;)

Hurray ! Well done !  :D  I am slowly going through video tapes which I`ve had for ages ( currently on S3 of Damages ) - it`s a small start, but it`s a start. :)

Thanks! :D I got rid of my video tapes a couple of years ago, but I still have my old VCR player. I have old home movies that I need to digitise, so I've been keeping it for that. I can't wait to get rid of it though! 

Would you have a large Library annexe ?  ;)

I'd love to! I think about it a lot and try to picture what my dream library would look like. :)

I hope you enjoy your new book :). Is it a travel book? I heard someone mention the author recently, I think he writes travel novels?

Yes, it's about his travels from the bottom of England to the top of Scotland. He did a similar trip 20 years ago and wrote about it in Notes from a Small Island, and in this book he returns to see what has changed. He's a very funny writer. :D

Alan Bradley has a new "Flavia" book coming out in, I believe, September. I am anxiously awaiting it.

Curently reading Go Set A Watchman. :)

Ooh, I hope you're enjoying Go Set a Watchman! I'm hoping to get to the third Flavia book soon. :)

I liked Shades of Grey ; I thought he created a fascinating world. Pity that a sequel doesn`t seem forthcoming.  :smile:

EDIT - Just thought I`d have a look at Jasper Fforde`s page and it looks like there`s a prequel on the way. Oooh.  :D

Yes, I recall him mentioning a sequel at the recent talk I went to. :) It'll happen eventually!

I've received a few books in the mail this week. :) Yesterday I received Peter Ackroyd's biography of Alfred Hitchcock, and today I received three Erast Fandorin books (which I think now completes my collection): 

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #6: The State Counsellor

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #7: The Coronation

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #9: He Lover of Death

Hi Julie! Long time no see. :) I hope you're well.

Today I bought Graeme Simsion's The Rosie Effect. I haven't really done any reading since finishing my Bill Bryson book (which was excellent). I had a really big job last week.

In between working I was attending rehearsals (including a full-day dress rehearsal last Saturday) for The Sound of Music. We have one more rehearsal tomorrow and then open on Saturday (yikes!) We'll be doing two shows each Saturday for 5 weeks. It's come along really well and is going to be a fantastic show. We've had a few friends in to watch it and the reviews have been positive. My job backstage is kind of difficult. We have a few big props that take up at least half of the space in the wings (which is a very small space to begin with), leaving very little room to move for the cast and crew (and there are dozens of cast members!) I also never seem to have the same backstage crew twice, and whenever someone new arrives to help out, it adds another layer of stress because I have to watch/teach them instead of just focusing on my job. It's challenging but also fun. :)

Thanks Athena. :) We had our first two performances yesterday and they went really, really well. The first show was close to sold out and the second one was completely sold out. We only have a few seats left for the remaining 8 shows. I think it's going to completely sell out!

Today is Mothers Day here, so Mum and I went to the city to spend the day shopping. :) I bought a few pieces of clothing and then we went to our favourite bookshop. Mum had some vouchers to spend, so she bought about 10 books I think, and I bought two (I could have bought dozens, but I'm broke and tend not to buy many full-priced books from Aussie bookstores, as they're really expensive!) But I wanted to treat myself, so I bought:

Robert Galbraith Cormoran Strike #3: Career of Evil (the checkout girl was super excited when she saw I was buying this, as she had just finished the first one in the series and loved it :smile:)

Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter The Long Earth #2: The Long War

We also went to one of Adriano Zumbo's patisseries and stocked up on delicious cakes and Zumbarons. Yum! I'm trying not to devour them all at once. :)

Wow, I'm glad the shows went well and that it's almost sold out :)!

I hope you enjoy your two books :). I don't own the second or third book in the Cormoran Strike series yet. I haven't read the first one yet and I was waiting for paperback releases. I hope you enjoy this third book.

I haven't started The Long War series yet either but I do own all 4 books. I hope you enjoy it :).