Historical Fiction!

I gots a craving for it.

- In the 300-400 page range

- Preferably set in England or Europe

- Not too dense. As in, what would be considered (among historical fiction novels) to be a bit 'lighter' or 'entry level'. It's been a while, I want to ease back in.

- Nothing too ancient-history, maybe set within the last 100-200 years.

- YA Historical Fiction is acceptable, once it's not *too* light!

I'm about to start Longbourn by Jo Baker, and on my TBR I have The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt and All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr.

Anything older than a few years and particularly famous, I've probably read, so The Historian, The Book Thief, The House At Riverton etc. I've also read a lot of Tracy Chevalier titles. They are all great examples of the kind of thing I'm looking for, but maybe shorter!! So maybe anything written in the last 0-3 years would be good, but recommendations older than that are welcome, it's just more likely I'll have read them :P

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Noll, a few of my favourites, though whether they all fall entirely into your requirements I'm not sure but they may be worth a look see...

Human Traces - Sebastian Faulks (sorry, but I have to mention it every time anyone asks for suggestions! Honestly it is very good, but not particularly light)

The Light Between Oceans - ML Stedman

The Island - Victoria Hislop

The Thread - Victoria Hislop

The Novel in the Viola - Natasha Solomons

Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks (set during the plague in Derbyshire so maybe older than you want but one of the best books I've ever read).

Orphan Train - Christina Baker Kline

Half of the Human Race - Anthony Quinn

The Girl You Left Behind - Jojo Moyes

Any Mary Hooper books, maybe set a bit too far in the past (think plague/great fire etc) but YA but not toooo YA if you know what I mean.

Good luck in your quest!!! :)

Yay, Noll! :D

My first thought was Tracy Chevalier but like you said you've read many of hers.  If you haven't read her most recent, The Last Runaway, I would highly recommend it.  It's set in the US but involves an English Quaker and the Underground Railroad.

I'd also say The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.  

Have you read any books by Katherine Howe?  The Lost Book of Salem is excellent, and her YA novel Conversion is as well.  They are both about the Salem Witch Trials but from very different perspectives.

Oh!  And have you read any Alan Bradley?  There's a thread here on his Flavia de Luce series which is one of my favorites.  They are set in 1950's England and are very funny.  The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the first in the series.

Oh my goodness I forgot!  There is an excellent series by Kate Ross that's quite a few years old but that I've read several times.  It's set in the Regency time period in England and they are mysteries involving an English dandy detective.  The first one is called Cut to the Quick.

Edited by Peacefield

Yay, Noll! :D

My first thought was Tracy Chevalier but like you said you've read many of hers.  If you haven't read her most recent, The Last Runaway, I would highly recommend it.  It's set in the US but involves an English Quaker and the Underground Railroad.

This sounds good!  I am totally downloading the Sample.  I think Noll has, but have you tried Burial Rights by Hannah Kent?  You might enjoy that one.

This sounds good!  I am totally downloading the Sample.  I think Noll has, but have you tried Burial Rights by Hannah Kent?  You might enjoy that one.

I haven't heard of that one, Anna, but I will definitely check it out!  Thank you! :D

Yes, Burial Rites is great, and actually a good example of the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Loads of suggestions, thanks everyone! It'll take me a while to look through them all :)