What books are you looking forward to in 2015?

chesilbeach

Definitely interested. I loved TGLaPPPS :) But I have always thought of Mary Ann Shaffer as the author .. I didn't realise there were two authors? Goodness knows how or why this passed me by  :blush2: 

I think Mary Ann Shaffer started it and it was her idea, but then she passed on before she got to finish and Annie Barrows did the rest... I'm not quite sure though. I'm going to check out the book by her and see what it's about, thanks for the link Claire! 

Edit: Ah, Annie Barrows is Shaffer's niece! 

Edit: Goodreads says: "Mary Ann Shaffer worked as an editor, a librarian, and in bookshops. Her life-long dream was to someday write her own book and publish it. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was her first novel. Unfortunately, she became very ill with cancer and so she asked her niece, Annie Barrows, the author of the children’s series Ivy and Bean, as well as The Magic Half, to help her finish the book. Mary Ann Shaffer died in February 2008, a few months before her first novel was published."

Edited by frankie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw David Duchovny (X- Files) promoting a book he just wrote and released this month called Holy Cow- A Modern Day Dairy- Tale.  Its totally off beat and strange, I thought some of us might be interested... from Amazon:

Elsie Bovary is a cow, and a pretty happy one at that—her long, lazy days are spent eating, napping, and chatting with her best friend, Mallory. One night, Elsie and Mallory sneak out of their pasture; but while Mallory is interested in flirting with the neighboring bulls, Elsie finds herself drawn to the farmhouse. Through the window, she sees the farmer's family gathered around a bright Box God—and what the Box God reveals about something called an "industrial meat farm" shakes Elsie's understanding of her world to its core.

There's only one solution: escape to a better, safer world. And so a motley crew is formed: Elsie; Jerry—excuse me, Shalom—a cranky, Torah-reading pig who's recently converted to Judaism; and Tom, a suave (in his own mind, at least) turkey who can't fly, but who can work an iPhone with his beak.  David Duchovny's charismatic creatures point the way toward a mutual understanding and acceptance that the world desperately needs. ~221 pages

I have no idea if this is good or not, of course, but darn, I am starting to feel old... wasn't X Files SO long ago?

That sounds bizarre! I liked The X-files, I plan to re-watch (and watch) some episodes again some time (I have some on DVD, though not the last season as I didn't like that at all.) I might have to look into the book or see what others think, as it could be interesting (I do like the David Duchovny's acting work, at least).

I saw David Duchovny (X- Files) promoting a book he just wrote and released this month called Holy Cow- A Modern Day Dairy- Tale.  Its totally off beat and strange, I thought some of us might be interested...

There was an interview with him in the Guardian about the book recently http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/22/david-duchovny-holy-cow-hell-highwater-x-files-rachel-cooke

I never watched The X-Files, so don't really know much about him, other than he's famous for that series, but the book does sound rather quirky, and if I see some positive reviews, I might read it myself.

I think Mary Ann Shaffer started it and it was her idea, but then she passed on before she got to finish and Annie Barrows did the rest... I'm not quite sure though. I'm going to check out the book by her and see what it's about, thanks for the link Claire! 

Edit: Ah, Annie Barrows is Shaffer's niece! 

Edit: Goodreads says: "Mary Ann Shaffer worked as an editor, a librarian, and in bookshops. Her life-long dream was to someday write her own book and publish it. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was her first novel. Unfortunately, she became very ill with cancer and so she asked her niece, Annie Barrows, the author of the children’s series Ivy and Bean, as well as The Magic Half, to help her finish the book. Mary Ann Shaffer died in February 2008, a few months before her first novel was published."

Oh .. that is sad :( Lovely that she had a niece that is an author .. to help her .. but terribly sad that she didn't get to see it published and become the success it has :(

Oh .. that is sad :( Lovely that she had a niece that is an author .. to help her .. but terribly sad that she didn't get to see it published and become the success it has :(

It's brilliant that she got to work with her niece who's an author but I agree, it's terribly sad that she didn't get to see the book published. Especially since it was a great success and loads of people have loved it! (And not because they read it knowing that the author had passed on... Like loving Nirvana all the more because it's legendary because of Kurt Cobain dying. They loved the book for its own merits... It's such a darling book!)

Edited by frankie

I've just seen that Bill Bryson's next book will be out in the summer as is the follow up to Notes From A Small Island, and will be called The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes from a Small Island.  A few more details on The Bookseller article: http://thebookseller.com/news/transworld-publish-first-travel-book-bryson-15-years

I've just seen that Bill Bryson's next book will be out in the summer as is the follow up to Notes From A Small Island, and will be called The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes from a Small Island.  A few more details on The Bookseller article: http://thebookseller.com/news/transworld-publish-first-travel-book-bryson-15-years

Oh good .. about time too :D Look forward to hearing more from Bill about this small island. Love the title .. Little Dribbling :D sounds like Little Whinging :D

I saw David Duchovny (X- Files) promoting a book he just wrote and released this month called Holy Cow- A Modern Day Dairy- Tale.  Its totally off beat and strange, I thought some of us might be interested... from Amazon:

Elsie Bovary is a cow, and a pretty happy one at that—her long, lazy days are spent eating, napping, and chatting with her best friend, Mallory. One night, Elsie and Mallory sneak out of their pasture; but while Mallory is interested in flirting with the neighboring bulls, Elsie finds herself drawn to the farmhouse. Through the window, she sees the farmer's family gathered around a bright Box God—and what the Box God reveals about something called an "industrial meat farm" shakes Elsie's understanding of her world to its core.

There's only one solution: escape to a better, safer world. And so a motley crew is formed: Elsie; Jerry—excuse me, Shalom—a cranky, Torah-reading pig who's recently converted to Judaism; and Tom, a suave (in his own mind, at least) turkey who can't fly, but who can work an iPhone with his beak.  David Duchovny's charismatic creatures point the way toward a mutual understanding and acceptance that the world desperately needs. ~221 pages

I like that Anderson has done as serious sci-fi book and Duchovny has gone for a wander in the opposite direction.

I have no idea if this is good or not, of course, but darn, I am starting to feel old... wasn't X Files SO long ago?

First aired 23 years ago this year. Yep. Old.

I never watched The X-Files, so don't really know much about him, other than he's famous for that series, but the book does sound rather quirky, and if I see some positive reviews, I might read it myself.

He's funnier in Californication, but as the name suggests, its a little rude.

Great news! I'll be adding this to my wishlist for sure. Thanks Claire!

I just found out that the Terry Pratchett/Stephen Baxter series of the Long Earth isn't a trilogy but there will be five books in the series, the fourth coming out this summer. The Long Utopia! Yay! Book 1 was fantastic, book 2 okay, book 3 horribly boring so I hope book 4 will not continue where it was going but will be smashingly good again. The first book kept me thinking for weeks! Fourth book will be out this summer..

I just found out that the Terry Pratchett/Stephen Baxter series of the Long Earth isn't a trilogy but there will be five books in the series, the fourth coming out this summer. The Long Utopia! Yay! Book 1 was fantastic, book 2 okay, book 3 horribly boring so I hope book 4 will not continue where it was going but will be smashingly good again. The first book kept me thinking for weeks! Fourth book will be out this summer..

I've got book one but haven't got around to reading it yet. Good to know that it's the best of the bunch so far but disappointing to hear that the subsequent books were not up to standard.

I must read it .. any book described as smashingly good deserves to be read :D

Well I LOVED the alternative worlds, being sick of our own little crowded world these days. It's more the world building than the actual plot I loved, so if you think a book is good to read just for that then go ahead. Plot-wise, well I didn't like the Lobsang storyline. But I mean.. travelling to other worlds as easily as flicking a switch.. ohh. <3

Good Housekeeping magazine has just kindly informed me that Grace McCleen has written a new book (published in January so available now) called The Offering. I read The Land of Decoration three years ago and was very taken by her writing so I am looking forward to reading this at some point when my TBR pile is smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

Just learnt that China Mieville has a new book coming out at the end of July. It's a collection of short stories called Three Moments of an Explosion. From the Book Depository:

A highly anticipated collection of short fiction listed in the Guardian's 'Essential Literary Calendar' for 2015 from one of the most exciting and original authors writing today. The multi-award-winning China Mieville has been called 'the equal of David Mitchell or Zadie Smith' (Scotland on Sunday), whose 'inventiveness and precision is awesome' (Independent), and who writes with 'an imagination of immense power' (Guardian). In this extraordinary series of stories, defying definitions and literary stereotyping, he once again proves why he 'is one of the most interesting and promising writers to appear in the last few years in any genre' (Carlos Ruiz Zafon). In these stories, glistening icebergs float above urban horizons; a burning stag runs wild through the city; the ruins of industry emerge unsteadily from the sea; and the abandoned generations in a decayed space-elevator look not up at the stars but down at the Earth. Ranging from portraits of childhood to chilling ghost stories, from dystopian visions to poignant evocations of uncanny love, with beautiful prose and melancholy wit, this breath-taking collection poses searching questions of what it is to be human in an unquiet world. It is a humane and unsentimental investigation of our society, our world, and ourselves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know there are some fans here of MRC Kasasian (author of The Mangle Street Murders and The Curse of the House of Foskett). In case you didn't already know, the third book in the series, Death Descends on Saturn Villa, is going to be published in a week or so (1 June). :)

After loving the first two books in Robin Stevens Wells and Wong Mysteries, I can't wait for the third book, First Class Murder which is out at the end of July.  (She's also announcing the title of book four tomorrow lunchtime :exc: … I wish I'd had the internet and twitter when I was growing up, kids authors are so much fun and great at engaging with their readers).