Tennis

supergran71

Fantastic opening day to Wimbledon, enjoyed watching most of today's action. Nadal looked impressive after the opening set tiny wobble, which did nothing but detract from the inevitable straight-sets emphatic win on centre-court. In the woman's tennis typically Venus breezed through her opening round, but I certainly enjoyed the underdog Alison Riske battle it out against second seed Zonareva this afternoon; Riske lost the first set 6-0 and it looked like she wouldn't be on the court much longer, but she remarkably battled back in a three-set thriller in which the Russian star Zonareva only managed to drag out a victory: an admirable effort from the American, Riske.

I could go on, but of course I'll mention Andy Murray's opening efforts today. Everyone sighed when he lost his first set 6-4, but after coming back to win the second 6-3, that was the end of the match: two further sets without dropping a game, 6-0, 6-0. He looked strong and up for it after the early scare so it'll be interesting to see what he brings out of his locker this tournament. In any case it's been a good opening day, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the competition.

Edited by Ben

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been watching for most of the afternoon and there seems to be quite a sense of excitement around Wimbledon this year. I have a feeling that this year there will be a major upset, but I am hoping that it wont be yet another Nadal/Federer final again.

I've been watching for most of the afternoon and there seems to be quite a sense of excitement around Wimbledon this year. I have a feeling that this year there will be a major upset, but I am hoping that it wont be yet another Nadal/Federer final again.

I noticed that, but then again there's always an aura around Wimbledon that no other tennis tournaments produce; even non-tennis fans know of and sometimes watch this one. As for the comment on upsets, I'm not sure I want to see some in terms of the top male players; the quality of tennis they produce is too good to watch. Although saying that, I would love to see Murray reach the final, and the route through to the final means he'll be coming up against Nadal in the semi-finals if they both get that far, that is.

Rodger looked very tough in his opening match today, even if he will need to step up his game in order to match Novak, who looked even more formidable today. It's going to be a sensational tournament if everyone starts playing their best tennis, as the power four players look really up for this. Of course with Wimbledon though, who knows what's going to happen.

Kicking back to see what Maria Sharapova can serve up against her fellow Russian opponent Chakvetadze this evening, whilst obviously keeping an eye on the Isner verses. Mahut game, which last year of course was a phenomenal marathon battle between the two big servers. Hopefully this one won't quite hold out this long, but after Isner has taken the first set on a tie-breaker, who knows. :giggle:

Fantastic match between Kimiko Date and Venus Williams .. great to see some really good competetive women's tennis.

Well done Andy, onwards and upwards.

I really enjoyed that match today, Venus really tested but showed the calibre of a champion, like you would expect. I've found myself feeling like the woman's tennis is a lot more competitive at the moment, in comparison to the men's. All the top four seeds have looked relatively comfortable, Murray and Nadal both winning in straight sets with ease today, but in the woman's competition, there seems to be a little more competition. Although Zvonareva looked comfortable in straight sets today, she had a much tougher match against Alison Riske in the first round. I'm certainly not complaining though, excellent to watch.

I'll be honest, the Brits have looked impressive so far, aside from the normal bunch that don't manage to pass the first round. It was fantastic to see young Laura Robson come from a set down to fly through to the second-round; something she has failed to do in her two previous Wimbledon contests. Also Heather Watson was unlucky to not progress, as she put on a fantastic display of defensive tennis to hold back her Mathilde Johansson of France, taking the first set. Unfortunately, perhaps due to injury, she couldn't quite finish the match off in the end. Last but not least, Andy Murray. He's looked brilliant so far with his two comfortable victories, but we'll have to wait until the second week to see if he's got the calibre to win this.

Edited by Ben

A great day of tennis yesterday despite the rain. The match between KimiKo and Venus was terrific and worthy of the standing ovation it received.

So glad Andy won but I am not sure he is looking like 'Championship material' yet.

It was also good to see the British girls, I felt sorry for Heather when she got her injury as she was looking good and well done to Laura , a deserving win.

Was great tennis wasn't it. Not too keen on watching the women have to say, but was hoping Venus was maybe gonna lose that one! Poor Heather, so close, but given the injury maybe as well she wasn't to continue. And Laura was fab. Of course Andy did well, but he needs to up a gear once the big guys meet up.

So glad Andy won but I am not sure he is looking like 'Championship material' yet.

I'm entirely agreed on this one. In comparison to watching Nadal, Federer and Djokovic so far, who have ran through their opening matches with ease. Like I said though, we'll have to wait for the second week to see how Murray responds to some 'real' tests after all.

Was great tennis wasn't it. Not too keen on watching the women have to say, but was hoping Venus was maybe gonna lose that one! Poor Heather, so close, but given the injury maybe as well she wasn't to continue. And Laura was fab. Of course Andy did well, but he needs to up a gear once the big guys meet up.

I felt so sorry for Heather, thought she looked entirely like she would win after the first set. Laura was wonderful, but has a much bigger test this afternoon against Maria Sharapova, really looking forward to that one. I do hope Laura manages some sort of miracle to pull off a victory, but it's unlikely if we're honest.

Ah well, time to toddle off and watch Novak who seems to be managing quite easily in his second match against Anderson.

Cracking match on today between Leyton Hewitt and Robin Soderling. Leyton was two sets to love up at one time but Soderling has leveled the match. I really hope that Leyton can do it. Think he may retire soon so it would be good to go out in style

Cracking match on today between Leyton Hewitt and Robin Soderling. Leyton was two sets to love up at one time but Soderling has leveled the match. I really hope that Leyton can do it. Think he may retire soon so it would be good to go out in style

Couldn't quite pull through in the end, could he? Was a shame, I really thought Hewitt had him, and he's such a fan favourite at Wimbledon.

Looking forward to the rescheduled game between Maria Sharapova and Laura Robson today on Court 1; hoping it won't be a complete white-wash.

All the British women are out now as Robson and Baltacha crashed out, although both gave their respective seeds a good game. The women's game has a lot of potential with these two and the likes of Watson and Keothavong.

Treat in store today with Nadal, Federer and Djokovic all in action. Murray did well to overcome the big serving, hugely experienced, in form Llubjic yesterday in four.

Thoroughly enthralled by Wimbledon this year, looking forward to enjoying the action tomorrow after the day off we've had.

Murray was comfortable today once he won the first set, he stepped up another level today and he has a great chance of getting to at least the semi-finals now as Kubot is unseeded and rather a suprise package considering he is a specializt doubles player more than singles. Beating Lopez in itself today would be a shock considering Lopez beat Roddick in the previous round.

Great to see Bartoli win against Serena, she is a much improved player from when she beat Justin Henin a few years ago and her serving was fantastic. Venus also out to the woman that beat her last season. Looks like the Williams sisters dominance is finally coming to an end. Federer through in four, Djokovic in straight sets and Nadal v Del Potro is a close run thing. Tomic, the 18 year old Australian is one to look out for as well.

Getting down to the business end of things now after a magic day of tennis. I enjoy watching the Williams sisters play, but in all honesty it is refreshing to see their reign being pegged back a little. Obviously they weren't at full strength today, though, so we shall see in future tournaments. With the number one seed also out, it's looking set up nicely for a Sharapova victory if she can stay sharp, which would be nice.

As for the gentleman's contest, not too many big shocks just yet with the top four all winning today. Murray looked good on court today, and I was impressed with the way he played. Didn't catch much of the Djokovic match but he's looked good so far, as has Federer. Nadal against Del Potro was a fantastic one to watch, had to feel for Del Potro who gave a great show and really endeared himself to the fans this evening, forcing Nadal to produce some of his best tennis of the tournament.

I'm looking forward to seeing how week two goes.. `

With the number one seed also out, it's looking set up nicely for a Sharapova victory if she can stay sharp, which would be nice.

Looking even better after today's annihilation.

Should be good tomorrow; fantastic looking set of matches.