Writing Book Reviews

There's guide here -> http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118-steps-for-writing-a-good-book-review/

But really, everyone is individual, and reviews can be as structured or as informal as you like, and here on the forum, there are lots of different styles, so maybe just have a look at everyone's book blogs and see which ones would suit you best. :)

But really, everyone is individual, and reviews can be as structured or as informal as you like, and here on the forum, there are lots of different styles, so maybe just have a look at everyone's book blogs and see which ones would suit you best. :)

I agree with chesilbeach, the individual styles are the best bit! I would love to be able to write witty, droll, sparkling, and thought provoking reviews, but I don't have the chutzpah!! 

Yep, everyone has their own style and I agree that's what makes them great! I generally avoid talking about the plot details as much as possible, and I tend to always try to comment on:

• the prose (is it light or dense, does it flow well, read quickly etc)
  • the characters (good/bad, developed/not, whether they drive the story or are secondary to plot)
  • whether the combo of writing, characters, and plot overall accomplished the apparent goal of the novel, and why/why not.

I usually aim for a paragraph on each of those three main elements, and of course it is all entirely my personal opinion, I never claim to judge books objectively because that's impossible! I don't always stick to that approach either, but it's my own personal set of guidelines for making myself think about what I've just read and if I'm stuck on how to start a particular review, I try to write a wobbly blurb on each area, then flesh it out :)

Hope this helps :)

I've been struggling with my own reviews a bit lately. Things I generally or sometimes write about are:

- why I bought or borrowed the book or why I'm choosing to read it now (or both of these things)

- the characters

- the writing style and ease of reading the book

- the plot twists

- did I enjoy the book

- anything else I might notice

But I feel my reviews are getting very samey lately, and I'm sometimes not sure what to say about a book, without spoiling it. I am thinking of sometimes including some spoiler tags, so I can talk about certain plot twists. It's great reading the other posts in this thread for ideas :).

Gaia - A lot of us feel that way, that discussion came up recently in (I think) in Michelle's book thread. A lot of people posted saying they feel their reviews are very samey, many of them people whose reviews I always look forward to reading, and I think we all agreed that we're simply all our own worst critics :lol: Which in itself is something worth keeping in mind when writing reviews :)

I don't. I get paid in free books, which are sometimes advance/proof copies (when I do it for the BCF), and in terms of reviewing my own personal reading choices I do it because if I didn't I'd run around screaming my opinions at actual people rather than the void of the web :lol:

I don't know anyone who gets paid for doing it, I can't imagine it's easy to make good money so with so many bloggers happy to do it for free, I really don't know anything about it.

Do any of you write reviews as a side line to get paid?

I did it, but it wasn't about books, I wrote in two small national gaming websites for about an year. The publishers sent us games to review before or during launch. My payment was keeping the games, but most were bad or average and I always sold them. There weren't any guidelines nor much organisation. I had the bad luck to enter each site as austerity loomed nearer, a lot of local gaming websites shut down then.