Your Book Activity - May 2015

frankie

And I love the episode of The Big Bang Theory where Leonard accidentally buys a full-sized time machine. :giggle2:

That was so funny, I didn't know they actually sold them lol  I love when they are trying to bring it up the stairs and then Penny is trying to get down to go to work and ends up having to use the fire escape :P

I finished Z2134 last night. It wasn't the greatest. Readable, but not very original. The next book selected by the Book Jar is Origins by Randolphe Lalonde. This is one of the first books I bought for my Kindle (Amazon tells me I purchased it 5 Feb 2011, so it's only languished on my Kindle for over 4 years. :ontome: ).

Hm... interesting.  That's too bad to hear.  I like them so as a concept. 

And that's a long time! :giggle2:

I finished The Brothers Sisters by Patrick deWitt yesterday afternoon, now thinking I might have been a tad harsh in my review.  I have taken up Prodigy, the sequel to Legend by Marie Lu.  Athena and I are reading them to discuss when we meet :smile: (10 days to go!)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished two on my kindle.  The Carpetbaggers by Harold Robbins and The Quiet Earth by Craig Harrison.  Polar opposites, both great. :)

Oooooh. Good to hear The Quiet Earth was good. I've seen the movie and loved it (even though it's a B-movie). I'd forgotten there's a book, I must read it.

I've slowed up a bit on my reading the last few days, but currently working my way through the second Internment Chronicles book. It's not great, like the first one, but I'm enjoying it in a Twilight-kinda way all the same. :roll:

Oooooh. Good to hear The Quiet Earth was good. I've seen the movie and loved it (even though it's a B-movie). I'd forgotten there's a book, I must read it.

Looks like I'll have to look up the film. :) 

I'm about halfway through The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North.  Interesting, and not what I expected.

I read WotW  a long, long time ago, and loved it. :)  So glad you liked it too!   There have been two movie adaptations of it, the first in 1953 with Gene Barry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(1953_film) and the second, for which no link! :D  with Tom Cruise.  I can't stand Cruise, so haven't seen this one, but the first one was pretty good.

Re The Time Machine, I liked it too.  And...there is a film of that as well. :)  I've only seen the older one.

Thanks :). I have only seen the Tom Cruise one I think, I'd love to see the older one some day. I liked the film of The Time Machine too, but I haven't seen the old film for that either.

I'm not really a fan of Cruise, and I know it's not really 'cool' to like the remake of The War of the Worlds, but I did rather like it. :) But I loved the original too. Did you know that the male and female leads of the original made a cameo appearance in the remake? Cool!

The original The Time Machine is one of my favourite ever movies. :D The remake is abysmal.  :banghead: There are (expensive) models of the time machine that you can buy and put together. I'd love to have a replica with real working lights and everything! And I love the episode of The Big Bang Theory where Leonard accidentally buys a full-sized time machine. :giggle2:

That is pretty cool!

I love that episode of The Big Bang Theory!

I finished The Brothers Sisters by Patrick deWitt yesterday afternoon, now thinking I might have been a tad harsh in my review.  I have taken up Prodigy, the sequel to Legend by Marie Lu.  Athena and I are reading them to discuss when we meet :smile: (10 days to go!)

I will be reading Legend 2: Prodigy soon too! I've finished Legend 1: Legend but after finishing it I've been busy with lots of other things so I haven't yet had time to sit down and pick a new book, I expect I will do so tomorrow at the latest though. It might be Prodigy :giggle2:.

Finished Part One of Anna Karenina this morning, and well into Part Two. Superbly written; at the moment it's easy to see why so many rate it as one of the greatest novels written. Hope it continues in the same vein.

The Book Box has chosen, apparently I am to give The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks another go.. Then straight onto I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.. It's a biggun and not one of

my usual genres but have heard great things about it. :)

I finished the latest installment of Middlemarch today. We're not actually due to finish until next Sunday but I have a really busy week coming up so thought I'd get ahead of the game. I'm really enjoying it. :D

I'm also 61% of the way through Hardacre by C L Skelton. :)

Halfway through The Quiet Earth by Craig Harrison. I love the film, not too sure about the book. I want to love it, and its well written, but it's a weird mix of emotional drama and scientific musings.

Also about halfways through Burning Kingdoms. Still bad, but still enjoying it. :lol:

Currently 170 pages into Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack.  Might finish it today, more likely tomorrow.

Cool. I've had that on my TBR pile for ages. Have you read anything else by Womack?

I've read a little more of Candide today.

Cool. I've had that on my TBR pile for ages. Have you read anything else by Womack?

No, 'tis my first.  Of course, when I bought it I didn't realise it was part of a series  :doh:   :D   Although I think they're only loosely connected, is that right? :unsure:

Had to put aside Going to Sea in a Sieve today as I need to finish my reading group book this week, so thought I'd better get on with it … The Reluctant Fundamentalist.  Fortunately, it's less than 200 pages, and I'm already 138 pages in, so hopefully will be able to finish it tonight and I can get back to Danny Baker tomorrow! :D

No, 'tis my first.  Of course, when I bought it I didn't realise it was part of a series  :doh:   :D   Although I think they're only loosely connected, is that right? :unsure:

think that's right...I haven't read any of them yet. I was first drawn to them because I heard they're dystopian. :)

I thought I'd read the first few lines of The Mangle Street Murders while I waited for my food to heat up in the microwave....37 pages later I managed to break the story's grip on me long enough to eat. :) I love a book that grabs you from the first page!

I've just finished The Mangle Street Murders and it was fantastic. So glad bobblybear bullied* me into buying the sequel!

Wish I could start it straightaway but have some library loans that need to go back. Hmph.

*informed me it was the daily deal and let me do the rest ;)

Oooh, oooh - have you read it before?  It's one of my favourites (I may have mentioned that before!   :giggle2:  ) I do hope you enjoy it.   :)

Well I enjoyed it as much as my stupid mojo let me :rolleyes: I should've saved it for later. Is there a sequel? I'd love to read more. And I def want to watch one of the movies or all of them :D 

Finished Random Acts of Senseless Violence last night after all (review here).  Started Jack Finney's The Body Snatchers this morning and already quarter of the way through it.  The original 1956 film version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is one of my all-time faves, so I've no idea why it's taken me so long to get around to reading it, despite owning it for years  :doh:   :D

I'm making great progress in Marie Lu - Legend 2: Prodigy, I'm on page 212 out of 354 (~60%). I hope to read in it later today and finish it. I'm enjoying it a lot.

You got through that fast!  I find this one sort of boring compared to Legend.  I will try and finish it, if I don't you can always fill me in :giggle2:

You got through that fast!  I find this one sort of boring compared to Legend.  I will try and finish it, if I don't you can always fill me in :giggle2:

I did! I wasn't expecting to read it that quickly. It becomes more faster paced later on in the book. If you don't feel like finishing it though (but I hope you will), I'd be happy to fill you in :).

I have finished Marie Lu - Legend 2: Prodigy and will be starting book three, Champion maybe later today.

Edited by Athena