What's Up in April? - 2015

Athena

Glad you're feeling brighter today, Claire :)

Well I had a FABULOUS time on my little road-trip yesterday - those of you I have on Facebook (if I'm missing anyone I talk to regularly here, feel free to add me - Nollaig Ní Riain) you can see the tons of photos I took but I'll stick a couple on here.

The weather was quite dull to start with - but dry and not too cold and trust me in Ireland if tis dry tis grand! And it brightened up over the course of the day. Stopped for a lovely little picnic on a beach near Mizen Head before continuing on and my lord it was beautiful. The Cliffs of Moher are a pretty famous Irish landmark, and honestly, Mizen head is every bit as impressive. Cliffs, sea caves and arches, couple of sea-stacks, a big bridge which gave fabulous views of the rocks below, a signal station full of documents and information about the work that went on there - it was lovely! And then on the way home we stopped at a beach we spotted and went for a bit of a paddle, it was really lovely, despite my numb feet! Got home then and sat around looking at the photos eating some burgers and chips - perfect end to the day!

This is the third time I have come back to look at those photos...they are so beautiful

I agree Noll, I have seen pictures of Ireland's coast, but had no idea you could just walk out there and take gorgeous pictures like that!  It must have been an amazing day trip!  I used to take day trips up and down California's coast when I was in my late teens, early 20's, I would've been all over that like sticky on rice :)

Off to grandpa's house, perhaps over the river and through the woods, as grandpa has a new house this Easter.  We will be over there for a part Easter/ Housewarming.  Egg hunt, egg dyeing, Easter baskets and chocolate bunnies, the whole works.  :mellow:

That sounds like a nice Easter. hope you had fun. :)

Heard from my son today. He said that his daughter, my GD, is really enjoying Belize. She is in charge of two small (baby?)Manatees and feeds them, swims with them, and generally takes care of them all day. She will be there for two months.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard from my son today. He said that his daughter, my GD, is really enjoying Belize. She is in charge of two small (baby?)Manatees and feeds them, swims with them, and generally takes care of them all day. She will be there for two months.

Everyone: Manatee:

manatee.jpg

:giggle2:

Wow!! Those photos are awesome. What enjoyment it must have been to view those sights in person.

I agree Noll, I have seen pictures of Ireland's coast, but had no idea you could just walk out there and take gorgeous pictures like that!  It must have been an amazing day trip!  I used to take day trips up and down California's coast when I was in my late teens, early 20's, I would've been all over that like sticky on rice :)

This is the third time I have come back to look at those photos...they are so beautiful

That sounds like a nice Easter. hope you had fun. :)

Well there are fences, paths, and lots of warnings about steep stairs and super steep inclines (one incline was so steep I was actually leaning back walking down, and shuffling, so I wouldn't fall. If you fell, you would roll to the bottom and there'd be no stopping. But yeah the paths take you right along the edges so you get a great view. You do have to pay to get in there, which I didn't realise and don't like but I guess it's tourism money for the economy so I won't complain.

There are many, many, MANY beautiful places in Ireland like that, so many more I want to go to.

Anna, that sounds like a great Easter, but your emote begs to differ! :lol:

Muggles, I want to play with Manatees! That sounds amaaaazing!

The coastline looks stunning, Noll!

I've had a very indulgent weekend, mostly sewing, a bit of reading, a bit of baking … basically just relaxing.  Back to work tomorrow, but a week starting on Tuesday means the weekend will be here again before I know it! :D

Anna, that sounds like a great Easter, but your emote begs to differ! :lol:

I know- that's usually how it goes.  Except this time, unbeknownst to us, it was just the grandparents and us 3, so, nice, small and not hectic like normal, although, I am having a bad bout of agoraphobia right now so I was still panicky.

My easter was boring but teo days off (good friday and monday) are gooood. back at the internship today though mostly half a day, after I damaged my cornea with home improvement in november I've had two or three times where the wound opened up again (yay for extremely dry eyes) and one times was 1,5 week ago so on advice of my opthalmologist I am taking it easy with whole days behind a computer.

Getting excited now for the Fantasy Fair less than three weeks away!! My costume is almost ready, just need to adjust the closing of my overskirt, fix my headband, see about making a short capelet.. can be cold but I hope the weather continues. And then I'll be going to this lovely castle at the 25th of april for something like a Renaissance Fair..

JVH_7555.jpg

Can't wait!!

Felidae, that castle is fairy tale gorgeous!  Have a wonderful time.  :smile:

Although I pop onto the forum a couple of times a day, I have been absent for ages in many respects Sorry about that. 

Had a lovely weekend when my niece, her two sons and daft dog came to stay. Laughter, chocolate and long muddy walks - how good can a weekend get?  :smile:

We are heading off to North Wales next weekend, a few days that will hopefully include castles, mead, the gorgeously weird Portmerion Village and a trip on a tram and / or steam train.  :D I cannot begin to express just how much I am looking forward to it. We are only there for three nights, but I am delighted. 

Your trip to the shore sounds and looks beautiful, Noll!  i bet you just wanted to take a photo every time you turned around :)

That castle looks amazing too, Felidae!  I hope you have a grand time, and Chrissy, ditto on your trip to Wales!  I envy you all so much, being able to just hop in the car or on a train and see these gorgeous sites.  Don't get me wrong, I love being in the quiet at the lake and in the middle of the woods here in MN, but we don't have cliffs or castles  :cry: 

All is well with me, just working away and doing my thing.  One month from Thursday I'll be heading out west to see my family in southern California and I can't wait!  I'll be out there for 10 days and am counting on doing and seeing a lot.  I haven't been out there for a couple of years and I miss my siblings and their kids!  

I love seeing the lovely pictures and reading about all of your travels!

Had a productive morning, I raked, weeded asks pruned a section of the yard, did laundry and general housework. I then had to go to my ds's school to finish paperwork. Came home and sautéed a lovely veggie medly before taking my meds and dozing off for my nap.

I plan to read a little before cooking dinner for ds.

My hands are very painful right now. I believe is rheumatoid arthritis as my hands cramp something fierce and are painful with some swelling. I have arthritis in my neck and foot so. .. stands to reason my hands should be next.

Have a great evening/day all!

My neighbours have a new puppy.  It woke me up barking at 3:45 this morning.  I got up at 4:15.  It barked continuously until 5:05.  I tried going back to bed at 5:20.  It started barking again at 5:40.  It's still barking now.  I love dogs, but this one is my least favourite at the moment.

I hope the situation improves for you soon, Claire.

Well I had a FABULOUS time on my little road-trip yesterday - those of you I have on Facebook (if I'm missing anyone I talk to regularly here, feel free to add me - Nollaig Ní Riain) you can see the tons of photos I took but I'll stick a couple on here.

Beautiful photos! I'm glad you had fun :)

I'm glad your granddaughter is having a good time :).

I've had a very indulgent weekend, mostly sewing, a bit of reading, a bit of baking … basically just relaxing.  Back to work tomorrow, but a week starting on Tuesday means the weekend will be here again before I know it! :D

I'm glad you had a good weekend :)

Getting excited now for the Fantasy Fair less than three weeks away!! My costume is almost ready, just need to adjust the closing of my overskirt, fix my headband, see about making a short capelet.. can be cold but I hope the weather continues. And then I'll be going to this lovely castle at the 25th of april for something like a Renaissance Fair..

That's beautiful! I wish you a lot of fun :).

Had a lovely weekend when my niece, her two sons and daft dog came to stay. Laughter, chocolate and long muddy walks - how good can a weekend get?  :smile:

We are heading off to North Wales next weekend, a few days that will hopefully include castles, mead, the gorgeously weird Portmerion Village and a trip on a tram and / or steam train.  :D I cannot begin to express just how much I am looking forward to it. We are only there for three nights, but I am delighted.

I'm glad you had a nice weekend and I hope you have fun :)

All is well with me, just working away and doing my thing.  One month from Thursday I'll be heading out west to see my family in southern California and I can't wait!  I'll be out there for 10 days and am counting on doing and seeing a lot.  I haven't been out there for a couple of years and I miss my siblings and their kids!  

I'm glad you're doing okay, I hope you have fun seeing your family again :)

My hands are very painful right now. I believe is rheumatoid arthritis as my hands cramp something fierce and are painful with some swelling. I have arthritis in my neck and foot so. .. stands to reason my hands should be next.

I hope your hands feel better soon!

I've had a busy Easter weekend and on top of that we figured out I've been suffering from side effects from my new dosage of medication. I've gone back to the lower dosage since a few days ago and I've been feeling better since then. I'm also still resting from the weekend (spending time with family and such), but hopefully in a little while I'll feel "back to normal".

Glad you're feeling better Gaia, medication can do wonders as long as its the right kind and the correct dose. Glad you got it worked out.

My hand feels a little better today. I wanted to go out and do some yard work but the hubby scratched that plan. He says I need to rest my hand. Easier said than done. My thumb, forefinger and middle finger aren't really affected right now, its my ring and pinky fingers that give me hell. Hopefully I can put Kizzy on her leash and walk her today. We both need the exercise. Unfortunately we're in a neighborhood rife with cats and squirrels. On a good day she's really great on her leash but if she's been cooped up for a few days, she tends to want to lead on our walks. I can handle her but with my hand being the way it is, I pay for it later.

I've already spent time outside reading my bible and I plan on going back out shortly. Its gorgeous out there! I'm working on a tile piece. Years ago I got hold of a box of ceramic tile (white) with the intention of painting them. I just got around to it this week. Nothing fancy just free hand strokes of flowers for now. I also plan to work on one of my coloring book pictures. These adult coloring books are very intricate and detailed. If they turn out right they may find themselves in a frame. I also plan on putting in some writing in my journal and doing some genealogy research. Time to get this brain of my jump started.

Have a great day all!

My friend got offered a job in Dublin. She's accepted it, but she had less than 24 hours to consider her response, and she's fairly unsure at the moment, so she may yet back out over the next few days. Mixed feelings, I want her to do what's right for her, but I'll also miss her if she goes.

Busy-ish day at work, but managed to get my lunchtime read in, so that was okay, and then spent an hour with my Dad on the way home, having a bit of a chuckle.  Lovely to be able to see the blossoms starting to burst into life on the trees in his garden, and the birds were plentiful outside the window, swooping around and starting to build nests by the look of it too. :)

I got my new (certified refurbished :roll: ) 8.9 16BG from Amazon today, it was free as the software in my old Fire was going haywire.  I had no memory on my carousel and my current reads kept disappearing from the home screen, then it wouldn't pull up the book... on and on.  So Amazon replaced it.  Oddly enough, they are charging me for it, and then refunding me.  Hm.  It's supposed to go through in 2-3 days.  We will see.  Will report back to the forum.

Also, has anyone invested in or used an external battery source for their tablet or smart phone?  I am looking into one to extend the life of my Kindle for a long plane ride.  One of those ones that connect with a USB cable.

I have one. It's great. The one I have can charge two electronics at a time. I ordered it from amazon and paid under $30 for it. Make sure you pick one that has the charger plug in with it. Some come separately which means you can't charge the actual external battery.

I have one. It's great. The one I have can charge two electronics at a time. I ordered it from amazon and paid under $30 for it. Make sure you pick one that has the charger plug in with it. Some come separately which means you can't charge the actual external battery.

Ya I noticed that, thanks for the quick reply.  Do you know which brand is yours?  Is it the Anker?  I'd want one where you can read while using it, ie, not drain the battery.  I'd need like, 15-16 hour use of my Fire which lasts only about 10-12 so do you think that external battery could give me the extra hours?

Glad you're feeling better Gaia, medication can do wonders as long as its the right kind and the correct dose. Glad you got it worked out.

My hand feels a little better today. I wanted to go out and do some yard work but the hubby scratched that plan. He says I need to rest my hand. Easier said than done. My thumb, forefinger and middle finger aren't really affected right now, its my ring and pinky fingers that give me hell. Hopefully I can put Kizzy on her leash and walk her today. We both need the exercise. Unfortunately we're in a neighborhood rife with cats and squirrels. On a good day she's really great on her leash but if she's been cooped up for a few days, she tends to want to lead on our walks. I can handle her but with my hand being the way it is, I pay for it later.

I've already spent time outside reading my bible and I plan on going back out shortly. Its gorgeous out there! I'm working on a tile piece. Years ago I got hold of a box of ceramic tile (white) with the intention of painting them. I just got around to it this week. Nothing fancy just free hand strokes of flowers for now. I also plan to work on one of my coloring book pictures. These adult coloring books are very intricate and detailed. If they turn out right they may find themselves in a frame. I also plan on putting in some writing in my journal and doing some genealogy research. Time to get this brain of my jump started.

Have a great day all!

Thanks Virginia. I'm glad you had a nice day :).

My friend got offered a job in Dublin. She's accepted it, but she had less than 24 hours to consider her response, and she's fairly unsure at the moment, so she may yet back out over the next few days. Mixed feelings, I want her to do what's right for her, but I'll also miss her if she goes.

That's a difficult dilemma. I just looked it up on Google Maps, Cork and Dublin are quite far from each other! 24 hours isn't a long time to think about it. 

Busy-ish day at work, but managed to get my lunchtime read in, so that was okay, and then spent an hour with my Dad on the way home, having a bit of a chuckle.  Lovely to be able to see the blossoms starting to burst into life on the trees in his garden, and the birds were plentiful outside the window, swooping around and starting to build nests by the look of it too. :)

I'm glad you had a nice time after work :)

I got my new (certified refurbished :roll: ) 8.9 16BG from Amazon today, it was free as the software in my old Fire was going haywire.  I had no memory on my carousel and my current reads kept disappearing from the home screen, then it wouldn't pull up the book... on and on.  So Amazon replaced it.  Oddly enough, they are charging me for it, and then refunding me.  Hm.  It's supposed to go through in 2-3 days.  We will see.  Will report back to the forum.

I hope they are refunding you soon! And that the 'new' Kindle works well. 

I'm a new granny again! ! Fit me a new baby girl! !!

Congratulations Virginia!

I'm feeling better than I did last week, so I'm really glad. I feel a bit stupid I didn't see it sooner and instead spent two and a half weeks on the wrong dosage :doh:. I had a great day yesterday, spending some time with my boyfriend. Originally we planned to go out tomorrow as I need some new clothes, but I felt too tired so we decided to stay inside and instead spent some time in each other's company later in the day, which was really nice :).

Glad you're feeling better, Athena, and woo congrats, Virginia!  That's lovely :D

My work week will be over in about 2 1/2 hours, so I'm pretty excited about that!  I'm off tomorrow and plan on running errands, finishing my book, and napping.

Saturday night my once-a-month dinner friends and I will be going out for a 'Jucy Lucy' aka cheese-stuffed hamburgers, and Sunday night I'm going to a friend's house to watch the premiere of Game of Thrones season 5 on her 60" TV.  All very thrilling!  :lol:

Sounds like a lovely day off, peacefield, hope you enjoy your weekend. :)

Looking forward to finishing work tomorrow and having a relaxing weekend myself.  I've got a couple of busy weeks ahead, so definitely going to have some downtime this weekend.  I've got a hairdressers appointment tomorrow afternoon, but apart from that, just want to settle down somewhere comfy with my book. :D

Glad you're feeling better, Athena, and woo congrats, Virginia!  That's lovely :D

My work week will be over in about 2 1/2 hours, so I'm pretty excited about that!  I'm off tomorrow and plan on running errands, finishing my book, and napping.

Saturday night my once-a-month dinner friends and I will be going out for a 'Jucy Lucy' aka cheese-stuffed hamburgers, and Sunday night I'm going to a friend's house to watch the premiere of Game of Thrones season 5 on her 60" TV.  All very thrilling!  :lol:

Thanks Peacefield :). I hope you have a great time during your weekend!

Looking forward to finishing work tomorrow and having a relaxing weekend myself.  I've got a couple of busy weeks ahead, so definitely going to have some downtime this weekend.  I've got a hairdressers appointment tomorrow afternoon, but apart from that, just want to settle down somewhere comfy with my book. :D

I hope you enjoy your more quiet weekend :)!

I've got an appointment today with the nurse and will also be running some errands. I also hope to do some reading later in the day (when I'm resting from the aforementioned things). The weekend should be relatively quiet, I plan to do some more reading at least, hopefully, among other things.

The afternoon didn't go quite as I'd hoped … spent half an hour on the phone to a company trying to sort out an issue, so didn't have time to get to the cafe before my hairdressers appointment, but then as it was a lovely afternoon, managed to get my dad out in the garden for an hour and before I know it, that afternoon's gone!  Will try to fit some reading in before tea, but got a few bits and pieces to do around the house first. :)

Last night at 2am I spotted a 'Digital Production' role with the Irish Times (reputable newspaper) which closed for applications yesterday. So, naturally, I threw a cover letter together as quickly as possible and submitted it, at 2am.

Worked, got a receipt email today. I won't get it, I don't have the experience, but if they at least called me for an interview it would be an experience and a challenge to my rusty hermit ways.

In other news, today is the first day I've started getting really riled up about the Marriage Referendum being held here in May 2015. Being that my friends are awesome (shots fired!) I've seen no opposition at all to the idea of same-sex marriage so far, but today I learned about a '7 Great Reasons to Keep Marriage As Is' leaflet circulating in the city and grrrrr. So I'm currently working on writing a letter addressed lately to people who claim same-sex couples would undermine or fundamentally change the nature of marriage. Apparently there's a newspaper publishing a lot of no-vote support, so people are planning to launch a counter to that.