The man who transformed bookshop chain Foyles

Raven

I've never been in a Foyles book shop in all my times in the UK, is it similar to Waterstone's? If I'm ever near one again, I should take a look.

They have 5 stores in London but I have only been to the Charing Cross store. It is split across 5 floors with books on every subject imaginable. I've always found the staff to be very knowledgeable and the store has a nice, bright, airy, relaxed feel to it. It is similar to Waterstones in a lot of way.

They have 5 stores in London but I have only been to the Charing Cross store. It is split across 5 floors with books on every subject imaginable. I've always found the staff to be very knowledgeable and the store has a nice, bright, airy, relaxed feel to it. It is similar to Waterstones in a lot of way.

That sounds great! Thanks for your reply :).

There's a Foyles in central Bristol, but if I go to that part of the city, it's usually on a Saturday morning, and I try to get out early to avoid other people and traffic.  I always visit Waterstone's as they open at 9am but Foyles don't open until 10am, and I'm already on my way home by then.  When I have been in, it's a nice enough shop, but for me, the style of the shop itself doesn't lend itself to a bookshop, and doesn't give me that warm, cosy feeling I want in a bookshop.  There's nothing to distinguish it as anything special, and it's not a big shop so the selection doesn't inspire me.  I'd rather go to Bath and visit Mr B's.

I usually pop into Foyle's in Charing Cross when I'm in London, but I've not been up since they moved down the street last year.  I suspect the new shop will be better laid out than the old one, but I suspect it may have lost some of it's charm in the process.  Having said that, though, the range of books they hold is great and as Brian said you can easily lose an hour or three browsing in there.