Your Book Activity - February 2015

chesilbeach

Finished listening to Miss Mapp, but can't find any more of the series of books that have unabridged versions of the audiobooks. :(  Such a shame, as I've loved listening to the first two, and was hoping that the television series might have encouraged the publishers to produce the audiobooks.  I know they've issued a new omnibus (weirdly with books 1, 2 and 4) with a television series tie-in cover, but no audiobooks.  I think the ratings of the television series probably weren't good enough to make it a success, so we won't get any more of the stories adapted, and the publishers won't bother with new editions of books or audiobooks. :(

Will be carrying on reading The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender this morning. :)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit over a third into Louise Rennison - The Misadventures of Tallulah Casey 1: Withering Tights, I thought I was less far than that, hmmm. I hope to read some more later today.

EDITed later: I'm feeling so tired, I'm having a hard time concentrating on most things, including my book.

Edited by Athena

I finished Taste of darkness by Maria V Snyder last night, it's the third book in the healer series. It was a quick read but the story seemed to drag until the last 20 pages then it was all over in a heartbeat. I've moved on to The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

I finished Taste of darkness by Maria V Snyder last night, it's the third book in the healer series. It was a quick read but the story seemed to drag until the last 20 pages then it was all over in a heartbeat.

That's a shame :(. Did you read any of her other books? I love the Study series and the Glass series, but I haven't yet read the Healer series.

Finished Bird Box by Josh Malerman last night, and am about 80 pages into The Humans by Matt Haig. Its very funny, but the story is a little uneventful so far.

Really???  Hopefully, you enjoy it!  And that Bird Box book sounded REALLY scary :hide:

I feel like I've been spending a lot of time with Chris Bohjalian's Skeletons at the Feast, but I am only at 20%.  It seems like it is going faster than it is.  Strange to have that.  There has been some stuff that's been a little shocking, and Bohjalian is so not like that, he must have a reason.

Really???  Hopefully, you enjoy it!  And that Bird Box book sounded REALLY scary :hide:

Yeah, I mean, his initial experiences of everything are hilarious, but 80 pages in basically all we've got in terms of story is 'stop the humans advancing with a math proof.' Everything else is comprised of amusing little hindrances, but not substantial story as such. I'll definitely enjoy it though, I already love it.

I finished Son by Lois Lowry. It was quite good, and a fitting end to the series, I thought. I'll be continuing on with The Humans now.

I'm really glad that Son was good, and a good ending for the quartet  :smile: . The Humans is such a wonderful book too  :smile2: .

Had a trip to the library this morning, so I now have The Rosie Effect to read next . Then it will be Angela Thirkell's High Rising after TRE  :readingtwo:  

In the post today I received The Psychopath Test from birthday girl Poppyshake.  :smile:  :smile:  It has of course been popped into the Book Box, I'm secretly hoping it gets pulled out soon. (Well, actually not that secretly now!!  :giggle:  :giggle: )

Glad it got to you safely Hayley .. hope you enjoy it :) xx

I'm still reading The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, but should finish it today.

I wasn't getting on with Summer Island so that's now in the charity shop bag! My lovely younger son made his selection from the Book Box and he picked out..... THE DYNAMITE ROOM... YAY!!! I can't wait to get started later.

That came out of the box quickly!  I hope you enjoy it, Hayley, it's a cracking book. :D

In the post today I received The Psychopath Test from birthday girl Poppyshake.  :smile:  :smile:  It has of course been popped into the Book Box, I'm secretly hoping it gets pulled out soon. (Well, actually not that secretly now!!  :giggle:  :giggle: )

I hope you enjoy it :).

Started The Rosie Effect, and it's great so far. Don is his usual self, I'm really excited that too.

I hope you enjoy this book! I look forward to read it myself, but I haven't been able to find an edition yet that matches the one I have of The Rosie Project. I might have to buy one that doesn't match, as I really want to read the book and own it.

I've read and loved both the Study and Glass series. There's was just something about Avry that got on my nerves but don't let that put you off.

I finished Withering Tights which was not that enjoyable (review will be posted soon), and will probably be starting another book later today. It will be another library loan but I'm not 100% sure yet which one exactly.

I've moved on to The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

That's a really lovely read, I hope you enjoy it! :smile2: 

In the post today I received The Psychopath Test from birthday girl Poppyshake.   It has of course been popped into the Book Box, I'm secretly hoping it gets pulled out soon. (Well, actually not that secretly now!!  )

Good luck with the book box! It ought to be a really interesting read :smile2: 

Started The Rosie Effect, and it's great so far. Don is his usual self, I'm really excited that too.

I finished The Rosie Project last night in bed and started reading The Rosie Effect! Didn't get too far though before falling asleep. I'm really happy to hear you're enjoyed the novel so far, I expect it to be every bit as great as the previous one! :exc: 

I wasn't getting on with Summer Island so that's now in the charity shop bag! My lovely younger son made his selection from the Book Box and he picked out..... THE DYNAMITE ROOM... YAY!!! I can't wait to get started later.

Wow that was quick :D The title seems to be popping up on the forum all the time nowadays... I hope you enjoy it! :smile2: 

I'm still reading The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, but should finish it today.

That came out of the box quickly!  I hope you enjoy it, Hayley, it's a cracking book. :D

Good luck with the book box! It ought to be a really interesting read :smile2:

Wow that was quick :D The title seems to be popping up on the forum all the time nowadays... I hope you enjoy it! :smile2:

No tampering involved I promise, Robbie does seem to have chosen the best ones so far.. I may be sneaky and let him choose next time! ;)  He did give me a rather withering look though when I cheered as he read it out, oh how to be judged by a 10 year old! :D  I also had to explain what dynamite is.. modern cartoons are not a patch on Tom and Jerry for educating kids about the fun dangers of dynamite and TNT. :D Typically I have a busy day today so won't be able to get to it until bedtime. :(

No tampering involved I promise, Robbie does seem to have chosen the best ones so far.. I may be sneaky and let him choose next time! ;)  He did give me a rather withering look though when I cheered as he read it out, oh how to be judged by a 10 year old! :D  I also had to explain what dynamite is.. modern cartoons are not a patch on Tom and Jerry for educating kids about the fun dangers of dynamite and TNT. :D Typically I have a busy day today so won't be able to get to it until bedtime. :(

:lol: 'Mommy's got a thing for explosions and blowing things up... :unsure: ' :D Well done Robbie!  :clapping:  

Ya I can't wait for that one either.  US release is March 17th.  :(

I will be deciding to continue with Skeletons at the Feast today.  It is going ok, but not what I expected.  I'm going to give it another 80 pages or so and then decide.

I've just finished The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton, and going to read another of the Waterstone's shortlist next … Violet and the Pearl of the Orient by Harriet Whitehorn.

Hope it's good Claire .. let me know what you think a ten year old would make of it .. I have it earmarked for my great niece Daisy. I personally loved the look of it when I flicked through it. 

You are getting on great guns with your YA reading. Sounds like they've been brilliant reads too :)

Hope it's good Claire .. let me know what you think a ten year old would make of it .. I have it earmarked for my great niece Daisy. I personally loved the look of it when I flicked through it. 

You are getting on great guns with your YA reading. Sounds like they've been brilliant reads too :)

Just finished it. :blush:  It was a very quick read, but I'm not sure what age it's aimed at … might be a bit too young for a 10 year old?  I'm not very good at judging, as I don't know many children, and those I do know, I don't see often, so ages are a bit unclear for me!  Have to say it was a great little read, and I loved the illustrations, so can't fault it, just don't know what age it's suitable for.

I've just finished The Year of the Rat by Claire Furniss. A solid 3.5/5 effort I think, although I must admit to having to hide a tear on the metro this morning! :giggle2:

I'm now starting The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga, which is a library book. I've got a stack of four of them I have already renewed once so need to get on with....