Poppyshake's Reading Year 2015

poppyshake

In an odd coincidence, talking about Broadmoor, I listened to A Good Read on the drive home yesterday, and Harriet was talking about English bull terriers after reading The Incredible Journey and said that there had a been a child murderer escape from Broadmoor and rather than not let the children out to play, her mother had bought a English bull terrier as they are ferociously protective of the children in their home.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are known as the Nanny dog as they are so good with children and I would think the Bull Terrier would be the same. A guy near us has a miniature one called Billy and he is gorgeous and so friendly but his owner says he is very protective of the house.  I'm not sure what mine would do but I do know they would make an awful amount of noise which would be enough to put most people off.. we get very few cold callers.. ;) Then of course if they get past the dogs there's always our cantankerous cat!  :P  :giggle2:

Lovely prezzies from Claire. Look at the lovely paper!!!!! I didn't want to open them   (blatant lie .. there were prezzies inside but I peeled the paper off very carefully .. I think I can put the bits I've salvaged in frames :)

clairesbooks2.jpg

Very exciting booky and choccy contents 

clairesbooks1.jpg

Doll Bones has been on my wishlist for a while. I am both scared of it and incredibly drawn to it As it's written for children I think I'll cope :blush2: .. I do love to be deliciously frightened in a twelve year old type way. I'm looking forward to The Norfolk Mystery .. it says all sorts of things on the blurb about Agatha Christie and Conan Doyle which tells me I'll love it. 

And look .. three bars of delicious choccy :wub: Eton Mess, Rocky Road and Brulee ... OMG!! The bad news is that I didn't have the foresight to open these prezzies in private. Him indoors has seen the chocolate and will be expecting sharesies. Lion's sharesies!! Will need to be stealthy about it  Actually, we always watch Wolf Hall with choccy and I did let him pick which bar to open so we have sampled the Rocky Road already .. or I should say .. we have eaten it  :blush2: It was delish!

Lovely presents Claire :hug: Thank you so much xx   

What beautiful wrapping paper, it makes such a difference to receive a well presented gift and that is perfect for a bookie gift. I love maps and Waterstone's sell a gorgeous old style map wrapping paper that would look wonderful on a large present.. hint hint Steve!!  ;)  :D

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you enjoy your new books and chocolates! The wrapping paper is beautiful too.

Thanks Gaia :)

Glad you liked them :friends3:   I should have bought you another sheet of wrapping paper as an additional present! :lol:

:D I was careful when opening and have managed to salvage most of the paper. It will look great framed. You'd think bookshops would sell more of this sort of thing. Don't they realise us book nerds need as much of this as possible :D  

What beautiful wrapping paper, it makes such a difference to receive a well presented gift and that is perfect for a bookie gift. I love maps and Waterstone's sell a gorgeous old style map wrapping paper that would look wonderful on a large present.. hint hint Steve!!  ;)  :D

You must start pointing Hayley :D Both at the gift and the paper (or .. just buy them and do it yourself .. cut out the middle man :D) Alan would be quite happy if I did that  :blush2: 

Claire also bought me this lovely card to go with the three she bought me for Christmas :wub: This is Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicolson outside their home .. Sissinghurst Castle. I've long wanted to go to see the castle .. it gets quite busy I know especially in summer which is when you really want to see it because of Vita's lovely flower gardens but it would be lovely to go .. maybe this year  :smile: 

amandawhite4.jpg

Birthday books :wub:

Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook (cookery book)

Under The Ivy: The Life and Music of Kate Bush

To Romania With Love by Tessa Dunlop.

Doll Bones by Holly Black

The Norfolk Mystery by Ian Sansom.

Campari for Breakfast by Sara Crowe 

If On a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino

A Month in the Country by J.L. Carr

Mrs Hemingway by Naomi Wood

The Mesmerist by Barbara Ewing

The Hourglass Factory by Lucy Ribchester

Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey 

The book at the top is a lovely little notebook  :smile: 

Lovely, lovely books :wub: 

post-5612-0-10753400-1424957821_thumb.jpg

Ooh, you lucky thing! I love that you included a picture of the wrapped chocolate, and by the time I got to the end of the very same post, you and Alan had already eaten one block.  :giggle: I do hope all of those books won't end up on my wish list as well. I already have another one winging its way to me thanks to you (The Winter Queen).  :blush2: 

I've read and loved If On a Winter's Night.... So much so that it's on my list of must reads. :)

love that wrapping paper as well! Claire, would you mind divulging where you bought it? Hopefully I can find it over here somewhere.

What a great selection. Lucky for me you ended up with the two I chose … I almost bought you both Campari for Breakfast and A Month in the Country! :D

:D Isn't that funny? Your intuition was correct Claire. I did very well not to get any duplicate books. 

Ooh, you lucky thing! I love that you included a picture of the wrapped chocolate, and by the time I got to the end of the very same post, you and Alan had already eaten one block.  :giggle: I do hope all of those books won't end up on my wish list as well. I already have another one winging its way to me thanks to you (The Winter Queen).  :blush2:

Make that two blocks now Kylie :D we have devoured the Eton Mess this evening and delightful it was too  :blush2: I'm sure you'll love The Winter Queen .. Claire loved it also and it's one of frankie's must reads .. so you must read it :D

I've read and loved If On a Winter's Night.... So much so that it's on my list of must reads. :)

I know, I remember reading your review and putting it on my wishlist .. it sounds so intriguing. I'm doing well with your must-reads this year as I've already read 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear. Must, must, must, read the Phantom Tollbooth too :smile:   

Ooh what lovely birthday books!

Mrs Hemingway by Naomi Wood is on my library list, so I would be interested to know what you think of that book.

I'm looking forward to it, should be very, very, interesting. The reviews have been very positive :) 

I just saw in The Bookseller that there will be a film adaptation of Where'd You Go, Bernadette and I know it was a favourite of yours, so thought I'd pop the link in here for you. :)

Ooh thanks Claire .. that will be good .. hopefully :D No casting news yet .. I will keep my eye on it. 

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

Thanks Gaia :)

Fantastic birthday haul! 

Indeed it is Alex .. I'm very lucky indeed  :smile:  

Birthday books :wub:

A Month in the Country by J.L. Carr

The Mesmerist by Barbara Ewing

Quelle coincidence! I finished The Mesmerist last night at round 2.30 in the morning - that probably says it all! It was my book group's selection this month (my choice!) I was unsure about it earlier on, but it definitely grew on me. Ewing isn't that well known, but I thought her Rosetta was brilliant. You probably know already, but if you enjoy this, there is a sequel The Circus of Ghosts.

And as for A Month in the Country - my all time favourite book: a work of genius.

Enjoy!

Edited by willoyd

What an awesome haul, and that wrapping paper is amazing, I need some!

I think we could all do with some of it :D! I wonder if there's a way to order it online or anything. I must go off to the Googles.. (just to check.. I can't actually afford to ship anything from overseas at the moment :P).

It was from my local independent bookshop, but I just checked on Amazon, and although they don't have it in stock at the moment, they do have it listed, so I imagine it might be available elsewhere too.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gift-Wrap-Penguin-Book-Spines/dp/B0051EKA64/

And here...

http://www.ruralurban.co.uk/wrapping-paper---penguin-books-spine---2-sheets-871-p.asp

Quelle coincidence! I finished The Mesmerist last night at round 2.30 in the morning - that probably says it all! It was my book group's selection this month (my choice!) I was unsure about it earlier on, but it definitely grew on me. Ewing isn't that well known, but I thought her Rosetta was brilliant. You probably know already, but if you enjoy this, there is a sequel The Circus of Ghosts.

I did know about the sequel. In fact .. confession time  :blush2: I saw the sequel first and loved everything about its looks and its promised contents but then saw it was a sequel so obviously I need to get that first book read  :blush2: I'm so glad to know that it's a great book in its own right :D

And as for A Month in the Country - my all time favourite book: a work of genius.

Enjoy!