Signor Finzione

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Review: 'The Girl with All the Gifts' by M.R. Carey

17235026.jpg

Melanie is a very special girl. Dr Caldwell calls her "our little genius."

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favorite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.

The above blurb is as ominous as it is deliberately vague, and I’m not one for hedging and hinting; so if you haven’t read this book yet and don’t want to know any more details about its premise, then read no further. You have been warned.

We’re in Southern England. It’s twenty years on from the cataclysmic outbreak that devastated the country, turning all infected into mindless, unstoppable killing machines known as ‘hungries’. In one of the country’s last remaining military outposts a group of children are kept under armed guard; children who only need to eat once a week, are kept underground in steel cells, and who people are only able to approach after coating themselves in scent-blocking chemicals. The children have never thought to question why this might be. Every now and again a child will be wheeled away to the research laboratory, never to return. It’s only when the outpost is overrun that those inside realise the true dangers of the world they live in, and that not all the hungries are the monsters they’re presumed to be.

The Girl with All the Gifts is a wonderfully character-centred tale, set in a post-apocalyptic future and focusing on a rag-tag group of survivors with bucketloads of heart, conflict and chemistry. The main focus of the story is Melanie, a ‘hungry’ who retains her own personality and has a genius-level IQ, yet becomes a slavering monster at the barest scent of human flesh. The relationship between the girl Melanie and her former teacher Miss Justineau is the driving force behind much of the novel, and it’s a lovely thing to behold. In a novel filled with violence and despair – a novel that could just as easily have been written as an outright horror story – its focus on human relationships, particularly those based around children, makes it really compelling. It also creates a strong foundation of sympathy for the characters of Melanie and Miss Justineau, particularly when it becomes clear the astonishing lengths to which they will go to protect one another, and how determined they are to stay together against all odds. Almost as heartwarming is seeing how the other characters gradually come to change their outlook, all of which is based around little Melanie. That said, I would have liked a little more insight into the characters of Parks and Gallagher; their military background added a different perspective on the survivalist situation, but they remained very much supporting characters throughout.

Another aspect of The Girl with All the Gifts that makes it so absorbing is the fact that it’s written in the present tense. This creates a real sense of urgency and immediacy that keeps the reader constantly on their toes. It makes for a lot of tense moments, one or two in particular involving hungry-infested streets that had me literally holding my breath. Yet another thing I really liked, and that brought the story to life all the more, was how much time the author spent detailing the ‘how and why’ of the infection, most notably through the character of the psychopathic yet brilliant Dr Caldwell. Not only was all the conjecture fascinating, it also sounds totally believable: the cause of the infection has its roots in an existing natural phenomenon (I Googled it!) which sounds both plausible and terrifying.

Although I really enjoyed reading it, The Girl with All the Gifts was not what I expected, possibly because I had mixed signals about what to expect in the first place. I’ve heard it frequently described as a horror novel, yet the cover describes it as a thriller. I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed because, to me, it wasn’t quite either of these. Not that it isn’t thrilling (it is, frequently), and not that it isn’t frightening (it is, often), but there isn’t quite enough of either to give it that smack-in-the-gob impact I was expecting. In actuality it’s more of a post-apocalyptic road novel, philosophic and dystopian yet suffused with elements of horror. Which is absolutely fine (it’s actually incredibly effective) . . . it just doesn’t quite reflect the way it’s marketed.

This aside, I’d highly recommend The Girl with All the Gifts and look forward to seeing the film adaptation when it’s released next year.

4/5

I saw The Girl With All The Gifts nominated for a horror award (Herbert, I think) and it surprised me.

That's exactly what I mean by it being wrongly categorised! It's a bit scary in places, but I would never class it as a horror. :unsure: Have you read it Michelle?

The Girl With All The Gifts sounds like an interesting read. It's gone on the wishlist. :boogie:

Yay! I hope you enjoy it. :D

BTW I was just accused of looking at dodgy websites at work as they could see the tab heading on your blog, so I hope you're happy! :blush2:

Oh dear!!! :giggle:

Review: 'When the Heavens Fall' by Marc Turner

Turner%2B-%2BWhen%2Bthe%2BHeavens%2BFall

If you pick a fight with Shroud, Lord of the Dead, you had better ensure your victory, else death will mark only the beginning of your suffering.

A book giving its wielder power over the dead has been stolen from a fellowship of mages that has kept the powerful relic dormant for centuries. The thief, a crafty, power-hungry necromancer, intends to use the Book of Lost Souls to resurrect an ancient race and challenge Shroud for dominion of the underworld. Shroud counters by sending his most formidable servants to seize the artefact at all cost.

However, the god is not the only one interested in the Book, and a host of other forces converge, drawn by the powerful magic that has been unleashed. Among them is a reluctant Guardian who is commissioned by the Emperor to find the stolen Book, a troubled prince who battles enemies both personal and political, and a young girl of great power, whose past uniquely prepares her for an encounter with Shroud. The greatest threat to each of their quests lies not in the horror of an undead army but in the risk of betrayal from those closest to them. Each of their decisions comes at a personal cost and will not only affect them, but also determine the fate of their entire empire.  

I both love it and hate it when I enjoy the first book in a new series. I love it because I have the thrill of knowing that even when I reach the last page there’s still plenty more where that came from . . . and I hate it because what do you mean I have to wait until next year for the second one?!

After just a few pages I knew that the Chronicles of the Exile would be (yet another) series I’d be following. I’d seen this book reviewed on several blogs I follow, and was completely pulled in by the overwhelmingly positive comments as well as numerous comparisons to Steven Erikson (my favourite author) and Glen Cook. And I can totally see where these comparisons are coming from. For a start there’s a whole host of crazy-powerful supernatural beings, the understated yet chilling descriptions of which strongly reminded me of the Taken in Cook’s Black Company. Then there are the sort of quirky, rock-hard, darkly humorous characters you’d expect to find dwelling in Erikson’s Malazan series, not to mention long-lost ancient races and interfering gods using the world as their own personal chess board. And there’s also a dark, gritty undertone – the sort of grimdark sensation that none of the characters are ever going to catch a break – that put me in mind of Joe Abercrombie’s excellent First Law trilogy.

But, as easy as it is to say “fans of Cook/Erikson/Abercrombie will love this book,” When the Heavens Fall is not as easily pigeonholed as that. Turner has taken many much-loved aspects of these kinds of fantasy and has used them to embellish rather than define his own work; a sort of homage as opposed to a blueprint. While admittedly it was these kinds of parallels that drew me in from the beginning, the thing that actually kept me reading was the patient and gradual build-up to a final convergence which, while not quite as climactic as I’d hoped, was nonetheless well-done and satisfying. The climax itself and the form it will take is deliberately signposted right from the beginning, but the routes by which our characters arrive there are sufficiently twisted that, while we can guess what will happen, we’re entirely unable to predict how it will happen. Having the entire plot of the novel building up to a single moment is somewhat risky – especially with sequels on the horizon – but I found it refreshing, a bold change from the many sprawling fantasy epics I usually read. The author uses the alternating points-of-view of a small handful of characters to great effect, switching between them at varying points within each chapter to build momentum and create tension. I personally found all four point-of-view characters to be unfathomable and unpredictable: while this meant that I didn’t quite connect with the characters as much as I would have liked, it did keep me constantly guessing what they would do next, with many pleasant (and nasty!) surprises as a result.

Yes, When the Heavens Fall is somewhat slow to begin with. But once it gets going there’s no stopping it; and it really gets going once it hits the halfway point. There’s a notable change of pace at around the two-fifty page-mark, and the story shifts up several gears from the moment the characters’ stories first begin to overlap. The characters themselves are compelling if not always sympathetic: a particular favourite of mine is Romany, the self-indulgent-yet-badass high priestess whose witty and irreverent verbal exchanges are a constant source of entertainment. The big climax is enjoyable if slightly drawn out, and for every problem resolved there are another ten questions still needing answers: the author has done a great job of making his readers clamour for the next book without quite leaving us on a cliffhanger.

What do you mean I have to wait until next year for the second one?!

4/5

I agree with Michelle, that is a nice looking cover! Great review Laura, I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much :). It is agony though isn't it, having to wait for a year or such until the next book is out :(. It's why I prefer to wait until all the books are released, I find it so hard to wait whilst the last book ended on a huge cliffhanger. I hope for your sake the book will be released sooner rather than later :).

I do like that cover!!

Me too! It's much more awesome than the Tor cover:

23168788.jpg

I agree with Michelle, that is a nice looking cover! Great review Laura, I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much :). It is agony though isn't it, having to wait for a year or such until the next book is out :(. It's why I prefer to wait until all the books are released, I find it so hard to wait whilst the last book ended on a huge cliffhanger. I hope for your sake the book will be released sooner rather than later :).

Thanks Gaia! I only have until February next year to wait for the second one, and then the third is out next October, so it's not too bad. :) I can bear waiting so long as the book doesn't end on a cliffhanger (which I really dislike), and as long as I don't have to wait TOO long (like with A Song of Ice and Fire :rolleyes: ).

Me too! It's much more awesome than the Tor cover:

That cover is a lot less nice, I agree!

Thanks Gaia! I only have until February next year to wait for the second one, and then the third is out next October, so it's not too bad. :) I can bear waiting so long as the book doesn't end on a cliffhanger (which I really dislike), and as long as I don't have to wait TOO long (like with A Song of Ice and Fire :rolleyes: ).

That's good :)! Yes, ASoIaF is taking ages :banghead:.

That's good :)! Yes, ASoIaF is taking ages :banghead:.

It is! I feel like I'm losing interest, especially as the TV show will end up being ahead of the books. I think it will make it seem like there's not much point in reading the books any more!

There's been another delay on the new Scott Lynch book, The Thorn of Emberlain. His last book was delayed by several years too, but in this case the author has a legitimate reason (he suffers from crippling depression and anxiety which not only affects his writing but also impairs his ability to attend meetings and make public appearances). In his case I won't gripe about it, as his own health and wellbeing is the main priority.

GRRM has no such reason for taking so long. He has so many other projects on the go - editing anthologies, writing blurbs for other books, publishing other ASoIaF stuff - that I wonder why he doesn't just get on with it!!! :banghead: 

Whoops, there goes yet another rant. :giggle2:

I agree! I'm losing interest a bit too (and I haven't actually finished watching season 5 of the show as well for the same reason). I really wish GRRM would get on with it!!

I'm sorry to hear about Scott Lynch and the book delay, that's very sad he is struggling with such issues :(.

Rant away, it's your thread :D!

Review: 'A Darker Shade of Magic' by V.E. Schwab

23403402.jpg

Kell is one of the last travellers — magicians with a rare ability to travel between parallel universes connected by one magical city. There’s Grey London, without magic and ruled by the mad King George III. Red London – where magic is revered, and where Kell was raised alongside the heir to the empire. White London – where people fight to control the remaining magic and magic fights back. And once there was Black London . . .

Officially, Kell is the Red traveller, carrying letters between the monarchs of each London. Unofficially he is a smuggler, a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences. His escape to Grey London leads to a run-in with Delilah, a cutpurse with lofty aspirations, who forces Kell to take her on a proper adventure. But perilous magic is afoot, treachery lurks at every turn, and an adventure becomes a mission to save all of the worlds.

I’m a little bit embarrassed to admit that I bought this book solely because of its strikingly awesome cover. I knew little about the actual story and even less about the author, but who cares? That is one damn gorgeous cover.

Luckily there’s an equally gorgeous story lying behind it. A Darker Shade of Magic is filled with beautiful settings and bloody magic, cross-dressing thieves and nefarious villains, magical utopias and fearsome dystopias, not to mention fun adventures and several heroic attempts to save the world. Or I should say worlds, of which there are four. Each of the four worlds – closed off from one another after terrible past events – are completely different, yet all have a single common point: the city of London. Each of these Londons (not all of which are actually called London) is vastly different from the others: Red London is a magic-infused paradise, Grey London is akin to early 19th century England, White London is dangerous and filled with half-starved cannibals, and the less said about Black London the better.

A Darker Shade of Magic focuses on two incredibly likeable characters: Kell, a powerful magician and adopted member of the Red London royal family; and Lila, a dirt-poor thief from Grey London who dreams of adventure. An unlikely pairing, but one which must work together to travel between Londons and thwart those trying to bring doom upon both their worlds. The relationship between Kell and Lila forms a large part of the story, and much of the novel’s humour arises from their interactions and the dry way in which they antagonise one another. However, their relationship is not the sole focus of the story – much to the author’s credit. A romance storyline between the two could easily have taken centre stage, and yet this particular element is remarkably downplayed and subtle. Instead it’s more about how Kell and Lila gradually come to trust one another, and how their initially antagonistic relationship becomes something stronger through their mutual desire to put things right and save the worlds. There’s just a hint or two that there may be more than just friendship on the horizon, which is both realistic and lovely at the same time.

No, the true focus of the novel is on its plot rather than its characters; and while I would have liked to have been given more insight into each of the characters as individuals, the author nonetheless does a credible job of developing them both whilst remaining focused on the events. The plot itself is relatively straightforward, but with enough twists and turns thrown in to keep the reader guessing; and the writing is flowing and engaging. In fact, certain parts of the prose – not to mention the setting, as well as the somewhat nebulous nature of the magic itself – put me in mind of Susanna Clarke’s excellent novel Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Schwab’s novel is not as accomplished nor as ambitious as Clarke’s behemoth – indeed, A Darker Shade of Magic’s strength is in its fast pacing and tightly-focused plot – but its spirit is much the same, as is its focus on magic’s darker, subtler side and its potential to bring out both the best and the worst in people.

While many aspects of the novel are somewhat dark and sinister (as the title suggests), the story itself is a whole lot of fun. The strong pacing and short chapters – as well as the likeable characters and compelling plot – conspired to make me finish the book in just two sittings, and I’m really happy to have discovered a new author as a result of my shallow over-appreciation of fine cover art. Even better, a look at the author’s website tells me that there’s a sequel due out next year. I’m confident it will be just as good, if not better, than book one . . . I can only cross my fingers and hope it looks just as pretty on my shelf.

4/5

I bought one of Schwab's books a few weeks ago.  Can't remember what it was called now.  It wasn't that one, though.  I only got it cos it was 99p  :giggle2:

Review: 'When the Heavens Fall' by Marc Turner

There was some discussion about this over on the Malazan forums, and how Erikson-like it was/is.  I thought about buying it but decided against it and to wait until it's further in and see if they're still liking it.  I really don't want to start a fantasy series at the moment.  Sounds decent, though  :smile:

I bought one of Schwab's books a few weeks ago.  Can't remember what it was called now.  It wasn't that one, though.  I only got it cos it was 99p  :giggle2:

Was it Vicious? The one about the superheroes? That's on my birthday list. :D

There was some discussion about this over on the Malazan forums, and how Erikson-like it was/is.  I thought about buying it but decided against it and to wait until it's further in and see if they're still liking it.  I really don't want to start a fantasy series at the moment.  Sounds decent, though  :smile:

I'd say that, given your current apathy towards fantasy, WtHF isn't Erikson-like enough to win you over. Don't get me wrong, it's really enjoyable - I'm just not 100% sure you'd love it as much as I did.

Then again I could be wrong. I'll let you know when the next one comes out. :D