Steve's Bookshelf 2015

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commander: The Life and Exploits of Britain's Greatest Frigate Captain by Stephen Taylor

We're obviously thinking on the same lines, as this is on my short list shelf to read in the near future - obviously the Aubrey effect! Having said that, as you mention, I've long been interested in following up about Pellew since reading of him in the Hornblower books. I agree with you, though, I'm pretty sure he was not the main inspiration behind Aubrey: there's far too much of Cochrane for starters.

The other reason I'm looking forward to reading this is that Taylor wrote a brilliant book which included another Aubrey inspiration, the Mauritius campaign (where Aubrey is slotted into Josiah Rowland's position). Like you found this, I found Storm and Command genuinely thrilling - certainly as exciting as any fiction (more so, perhaps, as it really happened!). If I remember correctly, the defence of the China fleet that appears in HMS Surprise also features. (Writing this, I seem to remember writing about this book before on your blog, so apologies if so, but it is good!)

Anyway, your review, yet another good one, has only added to my desire to read Commander. Question is, before or after Desolation Island?!

Edited by willoyd

A very belated Happy Birthday, Steve.  :bestw:

Hurray for the Rush trip ! :22: Do you have to tell the Jury People that you`ll be unavailable if the case drags on ?  :unsure:  

Thanks Sarah  :smile:   My jury service has been put back till the end of August, so it's not going to cause a holiday-related problem  :smile:

We're obviously thinking on the same lines, as this is on my short list shelf to read in the near future - obviously the Aubrey effect! Having said that, as you mention, I've long been interested in following up about Pellew since reading of him in the Hornblower books. I agree with you, though, I'm pretty sure he was not the main inspiration behind Aubrey: there's far too much of Cochrane for starters.

The other reason I'm looking forward to reading this is that Taylor wrote a brilliant book which included another Aubrey inspiration, the Mauritius campaign (where Aubrey is slotted into Josiah Rowland's position). Like you found this, I found Storm and Command genuinely thrilling - certainly as exciting as any fiction (more so, perhaps, as it really happened!). If I remember correctly, the defence of the China fleet that appears in HMS Surprise also features. (Writing this, I seem to remember writing about this book before on your blog, so apologies if so, but it is good!)

Anyway, your review, yet another good one, has only added to my desire to read Commander. Question is, before or after Desolation Island?!

Well that's easy - Desolation Island! :yes:

I'm definitely going to read Storm and Conquest at some point, too.  I nearly bought it straight after finishing Commander, but I want to read some other books first  :smile:

The Nutmeg of Consolation (Aubrey/Maturin Book #14) by Patrick O'Brian

post-6588-0-21565600-1425908878_thumb.jpg

1991 - Harper ebook - 324 pages

Note:

• This book begins immediately after the events of The Thirteen Gun Salute

Writing comments on these books is becoming increasingly problematic!  Not only are all the blurbs I've looked at been full of spoilers for the previous book, but I am also conscious that I am inevitably saying the same things about each book.  O'Brian's writing is wonderful blah blah, it's bursting with character blah blah blah, the action sequences are thrilling blah blah.  Blah blah.

This is undoubtedly a middle book in a sequence: it picks up directly from The Thirteen Gun Salute and leads inevitably into Clarissa Oakes.  So it's impossible to give much detail.  Suffice to say there are plenty of - ahem - Surprises (for those who don't know, Surprise is the name of Jack's ship - for Laura's benefit, it's a FRIGATE!  :giggle2: ) and O'Brian genuinely never seems to take the story in the direction(s) I expect.  And this particular story takes the crew back to Australia, to New South Wales and Botany Bay, and it is a quite horrific picture of it that O'Brian paints.

Oh yeah, bullet points  :giggle2:

• I mentioned somewhere up-thread that The Nutmeg of Consolation was one of the many titles belonging to a Sultan in the previous book.  Well, here Jack uses it to name the ship which this particular story is about.
  • I realised, as I was reading, that - although there are a lot of events - the story follows its own currents, ebbs and flows, and it became apparent to me that I was just enjoying spending time with these characters.
  • Jack appears to be ill.  I am very worried for him.
  • Stephen is good with a sword! :cool:
  • Two new characters are introduced, Sarah and Emily.  I think I'm going to like them.  Oh heck, I already like them  :D
  • O'Brian's ability to shock me with his endings shows no sign of letting up  :o

So yeah, it is fabulous.  Again.  Blah blah blah  :giggle2:

I highlighted so many passages in this one that it's tough to pick my favourite Memorable Quotes, so I'll limit myself to just this one, showing Stephen's consternation when he sees an Aborigine using a boomerang for the first time:

'I cannot understand the principle at all,' said Stephen.  'I should very much like to show it to Captain Aubrey, who is so very well versed in the mathematics and dynamics of sailing.  Landlord, pray ask him [the Aborigine] whether he is willing to part with the instrument.'

'Not on your ****ing life,' said the Aboriginal, snatching the boomerang and clasping it to his bosom.

'He says he does not choose to dispose of it, your honour,' said the landlord.  'But never fret.  I have a dozen behind the bar that I sell to ingenious travellers for half a guinea.  Choose any one that takes your fancy, sir, and Bennelong will throw it to prove it comes back, a true homing pigeon, as we say.  Won't you?'  This much louder, in the black man's ear.

'Won't I what?'

'Throw it for the gentleman.'

'Give um dram.'

'Sir, he says he will be happy to throw it for you; and hopes you will encourage him with a tot of rum.'

:giggle2:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Nice review, Steve :)! It is indeed a problem when reviewing a lot of books of the same series, that sometimes it can be hard to think of anything "new" to say, compared to the previous reviews, and to talk about the book but not spoiling anything. I've had this problem myself too. I still enjoyed reading your review though!

:lol: So, not only is The Nutmeg of Consolation a randomly funny title, it's also the name of a FRIGATE? That's just plain awesome. :D

It`s a real title ?? :giggle2:  I thought that was all a joke.  :blush2:

Phew @ the jury service being postponed.  :smile:

Edited by Little Pixie

Not as bad as this one, though :lol:

A lesser-known work by Patrick O'Brien writing under a pseudonym? ;)

A review for it:

Misleading...and I am somewhat disappointed. Despite reading this book from cover to cover, my date still refuses to let me poo on her.

:giggle2:

:lol: Reminds me of these three articles on Cracked.com about sarcastic Amazon reviewers. Very funny. :giggle2:

A lesser-known work by Patrick O'Brien writing under a pseudonym? ;)

If there's an author called Patrick O'Brien then it's probably already a pseudonym :P  :giggle2:

It sounds more like something GRRM would have in one of his books, though :lol:

I like the title and didn't think it was odd .. does that make me strange:blush2:

Nah, you're the normal one, it's the others who are strange :giggle2: 

Loved the review .. especially the blah, blah, blahs :D

Thanks Kay! :D

Clarissa Oakes (Aubrey/Maturin Book #15) by Patrick O'Brian

post-6588-0-23144000-1426445319_thumb.jpg

1992 - Harper ebook - 288 pages

Back in my comments on the previous book I said that 'I realised, as I was reading, that - although there are a lot of events - the story follows its own currents, ebbs and flows, and it became apparent to me that I was just enjoying spending time with these characters'.  Jo Walton said something, in her re-read of the series over on Tor.com, that sums it up a bit better: 'the books begin in the middle of things, they end similarly in the middle of things, there are ports but there is no destination, what you want is to keep sailing forever'.  It pretty much says it all, really.  Each book feels like a single chapter in a larger novel, and I feel like I'm being carried along on the most epic of adventures, compelled to dive straight into the next novel as soon as I finish the current one.  I've having to resist that urge every time.  The thing that saddens me is that there isn't going to be a proper ending :(

Picking up immediately from the ending of The Nutmeg of Consolation, this story sees the Surprise heading for South America, continuing a mission which has been going on for several books now.  A couple of days out of Botany Bay they are chased down by a cutter with new orders: the French are making a play for the Friendly Isles (aka Tonga), and Jack is to go to the island of Moahu to sort things out.  What he doesn't realise is that he has an escaped prisoner stowed away on board - a prisoner who just happens to be a woman who becomes the centre of jealousies between the officers that threaten to destabilise the crew and the running of the ship.

What I liked:

• O'Brian addresses some quite modern issues in the context of 19th century-based fiction, which is unexpected.
  • Jack is quite at odds with his crew during this book, which makes it all feel quite tense.
  • It turns out that the woman stowaway (whose name is Clarissa Oakes, if you hadn't guessed :D ) ties in to an ongoing plotline from several books earlier.
  • The way O'Brian deals with the battle towards the end - he takes a quite different approach to it that I really, really liked - especially given that the battle itself is horrific.
  • I mentioned a few books back (I think around book 11 or 12) that the series from that point was deviating from history, and it has, but to be honest it hasn't made the blindest bit of difference to my enjoyment or immersion in the story.  It's still wonderful.

Words I learned whilst reading this book (among others):

• Cicatrizing - heal by scar formation
  • Murrelet - a small North Pacific auk (sea bird)
  • Farinaceous - consisting of or containing starch
  • Valetudinarian - a person who is unduly anxious about their health, or suffering from poor health
  • Advowson - the right to recommend a member of the Anglican clergy for a vacant benefice

Anyhoo, blah blah blah, fantastic etc etc :D

In terms of memorable quotes, there are some absolutely priceless Killick-isms in this book.  I loved the one where Jack starts yelling for him at dinner:

'Well,' said Jack, and called, 'Killick.  Killick, there.'

'Which I'm just behind your chair,' said Killick.

:lol:  Okay, you probably have to know the character, but I laughed for about five minutes :giggle2:  He's always in the background, never really seems to do that much apart from complain, but he's just a brilliant character :smile:

Ooh valetudinarian .. I know that one cos it's Mr Woodhouse innit .. in Emma? (annoying old *** in other words :D) I know farinaceous too cos of baking .. sumfing to do wiv flour. Haven't heard of the rest .. until now :D 

Another great review .. you're having a fine old time on the high seas :D 

I read on Wikipedia that the 21rst book is unfinished, is that true? 

Yep, that is true.

Are you sure he didn't just make all those words up? :o:giggle2:

I love that you don't even have a 'what I disliked' section on your O'BriAn reviews any more. :D

That's cos I was struggling to find anything I didn't like :lol:  It was too short, there you go  :giggle2:

Ooh valetudinarian .. I know that one cos it's Mr Woodhouse innit .. in Emma? (annoying old *** in other words :D) I know farinaceous too cos of baking .. sumfing to do wiv flour. Haven't heard of the rest .. until now :D 

Another great review .. you're having a fine old time on the high seas :D 

Thanks Kay  :smile:   Re the Emma reference, you might find this interesting  :smile:

Thanks Kay  :smile:   Re the Emma reference, you might find this interesting  :smile:

See, here was me, minding my own business, reading your reviews thinking, "those books aren't for me, but nice for Steve that he's enjoying them", and then you point me in the direction of the article, and now I think I *have* to read them!  :motz: 

See, here was me, minding my own business, reading your reviews thinking, "those books aren't for me, but nice for Steve that he's enjoying them", and then you point me in the direction of the article, and now I think I *have* to read them!  :motz: 

:lol:  Well I'd recommend trying before you buy, maybe download a sample to your Kindle.  I found the first book, Master & Commander, quite hard going because of all the explanations of masts and sails and rigging and whatnot, but what Lucy Eyre says in that article about it being the equivalent of medical jargon in ER is very true.  It kind of washes over you as part of the experience, eventually.  If you do decide to try the series it might be an idea to have a look at either Desolation Island or HMS Surprise first and then go back to the start if you enjoy whichever of those  :smile:

Very interesting article indeed and just like Claire .. I'm wanting to read the books now :D Jane Austen at sea!! That's irresistible!

And there was me thinking you'd be trying to get me to read more Austen instead  :giggle2:

The Doomsday Prophecy (Ben Hope Book #3) by Scott Mariani

post-6588-0-61430400-1426685485_thumb.jpg

2009 - Avon ebook - 462 pages

It's a long time since I read the second book in this series, The Mozart Conspiracy.  I enjoyed the first two books very much.  I could be completely wrong, but it's always felt to me that these books were conceived off the back of Dan Brown's success.  I have to say, I think Mariani's books are much more fun than Brown's.

So, as the story begins, Ben has retired from his post-military career rescuing kidnap victims, for a very good reason, and has decided to return to his theology studies, which he had abandoned nearly twenty years before.  But then his professor's daughter goes missing, leading to a globe-trotting quest for vengeance . . . 

What's best about this book:

• The pace - it's relentless  :D
  • It revels in its own silliness  :giggle2:
  • Mariani knows how to write an action scene  :o
  • The main character, Ben Hope, is kind of a cross between Jason Bourne, James Bond and Robert Langdon.  Maybe throw in a bit of Jack Bauer, too.  He's hard as nails, and he's British.  Men want to be him, women want to be with him.  Oh, wait, that's Jack Reacher.  He's also like Jack Reacher.  Well he's almost as omniscient, for a start  :giggle2: 

What's worst about this book:

• The pace - it's relentless  :banghead:
  • It revels in its own silliness  :doh:
  • Mariani knows how to write an action scene :rolleyes:
  • The main character, Ben Hope, is kind of a cross between Jason Bourne, James Bond and Robert Langdon.  Maybe throw in a bit of Jack Bauer, too.  He's hard as nails, and he's British.  Men want to be him, women want to be with him.  Oh, wait, that's Jack Reacher.  He's also like Jack Reacher.  Well he's almost as omniscient, for a start  :P 

Fortunately/unfortunately (delete as applicable) I bought the next five or six books in the series in a Kindle Daily Deal recently.  I've no doubt I'll enjoy them, but they're the kind of books you only read once or twice a year, preferably on holiday, or at least on the plane on the way to a holiday (with the understanding that Ben Hope isn't actually on the plane cos, if he is, that plane's inevitably going down :hide: ).

Memorable Quotes (for all the wrong reasons): 

Ben moved faster than he'd ever moved before

Ben tends to do most things in this book faster/harder/better than he's ever done them before.  Nice to know he's still got room for self-improvement . . . 

The bomber kneeled there, nursing his damaged hand, staring up at Ben open-mouthed.  'Who are you?' he croaked.

'Nobody,' Ben said.

Well, it's either Ben or Nobody, make up your mind  :theboss:

Edited by Karsa Orlong