Steve's Bookshelf 2015

Karsa Orlong

What on Earth is Carter Beats the Devil?

It's Kay's favourite book  :giggle2: 

Mirror Dance looks intriguing, can it be read as stand-alone?

That's impossible for me to answer, I think, seeing as I came to it with the knowledge of the rest of the series up to that point :shrug:  This guy seems to think it can be, but I'd say, to get the most from it, read Brothers in Arms first.

ETA: in the link in the post below, Bujold herself says to read Brothers in Arms first.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold

post-6588-0-58143000-1424680938_thumb.jpg

2001 - Sceptre paperback - 562 pages

Charles Carter, dubbed Carter the Great by Houdini himself, was born into privilege but became a magician out of need: only when dazzling an audience can he defeat his fear of loneliness. But in 1920s America the stakes are growing higher, as technology and the cinema challenge the allure of magic and Carter's stunts become increasingly audacious. Until the night President Harding takes part in Carter's act only to die two hours later, and Carter finds himself pursued not only by the Secret Service but by a host of others desperate for the terrible secret they believe Harding confided in him.

Seamlessly blending reality and fiction, Gold lays before us a glittering and romantic panorama of our modern world at a point of irrevocable change.

I liked:

• The way the story begins, with Carter on the run suspected of murder when President Harding dies just hours after attending one of Carter's shows.  It's a great opening.
  • The plot: it's a tangled web of half-truths and misdirection, constantly pulling the rug out from beneath you.  There's as much illusion here as in one of Carter's magic shows.
  • The pacing.  There was never a point where I grew tired of it.
  • Gold's writing style: it's simple but incredibly effective, not showy or too clever for its own good.  I wasn't diving for a dictionary or thesaurus at any point.
  • I didn't realise until after starting the book that Charles Carter was a real-life magician, although this is a completely fictionalised account of his life.  It's just so brilliantly done, with lots of other real people - from presidents to inventors to Houdini himself - weaving in and out of the story without even the slightest hiccup.
  • Gold's characterisation is quite subtle, done with a light touch.  I felt that I got to know these people without really being aware of it, through small mannerisms and rituals that they go through, and through the wonderful dialogue, which really crackles at times (especially between Carter and a particular woman - who I won't name so as not to spoil - which gives her the feel of a truly memorable femme fatale).
  • The ending.  It's just about perfect.

I disliked:

• The cover - it does the book no favours whatsoever.

This book was never quite what I expected it to be.  I lost myself completely within its world of vaudeville in the early 20th century, and was thrilled by Gold's ability to surprise and confound.  It never got bogged down, never lost its impetus, and left me wanting more.  In the end it is, I think, a tale about redemption, and Gold carries it off beautifully.  It's quite astonishing for a debut novel, I think.  I've been curious about it for some time (thanks to Kay!) and had nearly bought it on a couple of occasions.  Thankfully I didn't, as it's turned out to be a brilliant birthday present.  Thanks Sari, I loved it.  In fact, I thought it was magic  :D  

Memorable Quotes?  Loads, but I didn't want to stop reading and put the book down to make a note of them  :blush2:  :D 

ETA:  And can I just add that Wil Wheaton also loved it  :D 

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold

I disliked:

• The cover - it does the book no favours whatsoever.

:blush::giggle2: It's the reason why I almost decided against getting the book for you. All the covers of the different editions were atrocious. Hideous! I think it actually would've been better had you already bought a Kindle version of it for yourself, to save you from having to look at the covers :lol: Feel free to pass it onto someone else :smile2: 

I'm really really happy you enjoyed it. Great review, I think you're going to make some people re-think their position with the book... :D 

:blush::giggle2: It's the reason why I almost decided against getting the book for you. All the covers of the different editions were atrocious. Hideous! I think it actually would've been better had you already bought a Kindle version of it for yourself, to save you from having to look at the covers :lol: Feel free to pass it onto someone else :smile2:

Nooooo, I can't do that, it's a keeper  :smile:

I forgot to mention in the review that there's a fair amount of art within the book as well - reproductions of posters and such, which is exactly what the cover is supposed to be.

I'm really really happy you enjoyed it. Great review, I think you're going to make some people re-think their position with the book... :D

I'm not allowed to nag  :giggle2:

Nooooo, I can't do that, it's a keeper  :smile:

I forgot to mention in the review that there's a fair amount of art within the book as well - reproductions of posters and such, which is exactly what the cover is supposed to be.

Are they any nicer inside the covers than on it? :giggle2:

I'm not allowed to nag  :giggle2:

Says who? :o

:D

Fantastic review, Steve.  I don't mind the cover, although I think this is the cover I remember first seeing, and loving the art nouveau style of the title.  I definitely want to read this book (don't tell Kay ;)) but with the size of it, will probably get the ebook to save lugging it around in my bag! :D

Are they any nicer inside the covers than on it? :giggle2:

I was Googling earlier on to see if I could find any of them, but this is the only one that came up (and it's not colour in the book, obviously):

post-6588-0-31389600-1424686838_thumb.jpg

Says who? :o

:D

Kay! :lol:

Fantastic review, Steve.  I don't mind the cover, although I think this is the cover I remember first seeing, and loving the art nouveau style of the title.  I definitely want to read this book (don't tell Kay ;)) but with the size of it, will probably get the ebook to save lugging it around in my bag! :D

Thanks Claire  :smile:   Must admit, I prefer the cover I've got to that one  :giggle2:   It is a hefty book but I was enjoying it so much I forgot about that aspect (although I did miss the ability to quickly highlight quotes)  :smile: 

I was Googling earlier on to see if I could find any of them, but this is the only one that came up (and it's not colour in the book, obviously):

attachicon.gifCarter Beats the Devil - Kellar.jpg

That should be the cover!

Kay! :lol:

Is she the boss of you? :o:D

Thanks Claire  :smile:   Must admit, I prefer the cover I've got to that one  :giggle2:   It is a hefty book but I was enjoying it so much I forgot about that aspect (although I did miss the ability to quickly highlight quotes)  :smile: 

Phew. Because I was having a hard time thinking which cover you'd hate less :D

That should be the cover!

The problem there is that it's not a poster advertising Carter's show  :D 

Is she the boss of you? :o:D

I'm not going to do anything else that'll put her off reading it :giggle2:  

The problem there is that it's not a poster advertising Carter's show  :D

I can see how that would be problematic, yes...

I'm not going to do anything else that'll put her off reading it :giggle2:

Says the guy who told Timstar that CBtD is Kay's favorite book when Timstar asked about it... :rolleyes::D

This is interesting, cos the Martinka brothers appear in the book, and here's a link to all the Carter memorabilia available through the Martinkas shop, 'Est. 1877 - Formerly owned by Houdini' - although I'm assuming they hadn't magicked up the internet at that point . . .  :D 

http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auction/APSearch.asp?CMD=SEARCH&SearchFor=Carter&SearchDesc=Y&SearchClosed=Y

Great review Steve :D It sounds brilliant  :blush2: 

I just want to clarify my position  :blush2:  :D I'm not doubting it's a good book .. I know it probably is brilliant .. my whole reluctance about reading it is due to the nagging  :D A bit of gentle encouragement I don't mind, a good recommendation I'm all for, but day in day out nagging along the lines of 'ooh ooh read this one next' .. ad lib and fade is enough to make me dig my heels in.

I have cut off my thingymajig to spite my wotsit I've no doubt but then it is in the jar of destiny .. I haven't ruled it out. 

D*mn .. I want to read it now though  :blush2: I suppose I could find other ways to annoy him  :D  

Great review Steve :D It sounds brilliant  :blush2: 

Thanks Kay  :smile: 

D*mn .. I want to read it now though  :blush2: I suppose I could find other ways to annoy him  :D  

Well, if the jar does throw it out and you do end up reading it, I hope you enjoy it :smile:  

I am quite proud of my husband now that he hasn't been recommending a rubbish book .. it could so easily be the case .. he bought me Madame Bovary :D;)

Ssshhhh!  Nobody mention Gardens of the Moon  :giggle2:

I have cut off my thingymajig to spite my wotsit I've no doubt but then it is in the jar of destiny .. I haven't ruled it out. 

Ah, the ol' 'cutting off one's nose to spite one's face'. :D That's my Mum's favourite and most often used saying (I guess that means I do a lot of cutting if I've heard it so many times  :blush2:).

I have the same cover as you, Steve, but I must admit that I kind of like it. :blush2: The bizarreness is appealing, even if I don't necessarily like the way the character at the front (Carter, I presume) has been drawn. This book has been on my TBR pile for so long that I've long since forgotten why, when or where I bought it, so I'm glad that it is indeed a very good read. I've nearly dumped it several times, but something kept me holding me back. It has kind of become a thorn in my side (although not as bad as it is for Kay, I suspect!) I really should just get on with it. It'll be a huge relief once I finally read it. :)

Ah, the ol' 'cutting off one's nose to spite one's face'. :D That's my Mum's favourite and most often used saying (I guess that means I do a lot of cutting if I've heard it so many times  :blush2:).

I have the same cover as you, Steve, but I must admit that I kind of like it. :blush2: The bizarreness is appealing, even if I don't necessarily like the way the character at the front (Carter, I presume) has been drawn. This book has been on my TBR pile for so long that I've long since forgotten why, when or where I bought it, so I'm glad that it is indeed a very good read. I've nearly dumped it several times, but something kept me holding me back. It has kind of become a thorn in my side (although not as bad as it is for Kay, I suspect!) I really should just get on with it. It'll be a huge relief once I finally read it. :)

The cover's definitely captured the feel of the posters from the time, so it achieves its aim I guess :smile:   

post-6588-0-00538900-1424875785_thumb.jpg  post-6588-0-00200100-1424875798_thumb.jpg

It's strange, though, that there is nothing on the cover - front or back - to tell you what the story is about, just lots of hyperbole taken from reviews.

I hope you enjoy it, if/when you read it  :smile: