Wildcard books...

The Man who was Thursday by G K Chesterton. A very unusual book, a kind of surreal spy thriller. It contains some excellent imagery. Its a wonderful book but very strange, mixed feelings about the ending too. I will definitely buy it to re-read one day.

Two of my favourite ever books aren't well known at all

Mr God this is Anna - Fynn

The Eight - Katherine Neville

Both different and both great. Nobody has ever heard of either of them when I mention them. But I've had several copies of each as they never come back!

As I have mentioned before The Consort by Anthony Heckstall-Smith is a classic example. A very unusual and brilliant satire, it is almost unknown and was the only work of fiction (a romantic fantasy at that) by a war historian. Although the hardcover - which came specially with two separate dustjackets - was a bestseller in 19 coutries in 1962, only 2 paperback editions came out in 1965 & 1969. The book was never officially banned as such but rumours are that the British Government gave plenty of 'incentive' to the distributors to withdraw it completely.

Two of my favourite ever books aren't well known at all

Mr God this is Anna - Fynn

The Eight - Katherine Neville

Both different and both great. Nobody has ever heard of either of them when I mention them. But I've had several copies of each as they never come back!

I've heard of Mr God this is Anna but I can't remember where or why. What's it about?

I've heard of Mr God this is Anna but I can't remember where or why. What's it about?

Here's the synopsis from Amazon:

Anna was four years old when Fynn, then only 16 himself, found her wandering round London's Docklands one foggy night in the 1930s. Badly neglected and abandoned by her parents, he took her home to be cared for by his own family. The impact of this extraordinary child on Fynn, his friends and the people in their neighbourhood was to be immense. Nobody who met Anna could remain the same: this intelligent, lively, precocious chatterbox had an outlook on life which completely undercut adult pretensions and illusions. Anna's influence continues today. Anyone dipping into her thought-processes falls under the spell of her luminous innocence, wisdom and intimate relationship with 'Mister God'.

The illustrations are fantastic too.

I think that the reason I love it so much is that it was given to me by a boyfriend who later died very suddenly and very young so it's kind of poignant too

I've read The Eight, good thriller, I've seen it on sale in a few shops but it doesn't seem to have been as well distributed as other titles.

No, it's pretty old now too. Her other stuff is good too but not seen anything by her for ages and I'm sure I had to buy the last one I read from Amazon

Here's the synopsis from Amazon:

Quote:

Anna was four years old when Fynn, then only 16 himself, found her wandering round London's Docklands one foggy night in the 1930s. Badly neglected and abandoned by her parents, he took her home to be cared for by his own family. The impact of this extraordinary child on Fynn, his friends and the people in their neighbourhood was to be immense. Nobody who met Anna could remain the same: this intelligent, lively, precocious chatterbox had an outlook on life which completely undercut adult pretensions and illusions. Anna's influence continues today. Anyone dipping into her thought-processes falls under the spell of her luminous innocence, wisdom and intimate relationship with 'Mister God'.

The illustrations are fantastic too.

I think that the reason I love it so much is that it was given to me by a boyfriend who later died very suddenly and very young so it's kind of poignant too

Oh V that is so sad :)

I think this is an absolutely beautiful book too and bought it again recently. The last time I read it would have been the late 70's and was amazed or re-reading it just how much of Anna's philosophy on life I had taken on board and agreed with. Fynn is such a lovely guy too and I loved the way the two of them would go exploring London late at night and all the wonders they discovered.