Janet's Log - Stardate 2015

Janet

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay! :boogie: At least you finished it! What were your thoughts on it - did you enjoy it, or was it a real struggle?

You did it! Well done.  :flowers2:

Regarding your enjoyment of it - I hesitate to ask....... :giggle2:

Well, I didn't hate it, so that's good!  Initial thoughts are that I would give it about 3/5, but that's subject to change when I put my thoughts on paper (oh goodness - that's going to be a challenge!!).    It was just too waffly for me.  I love novels set in India (not that I've read hundreds, but...) but it wasn't a patch on Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance.   :)  Overall I'm glad I finished it, but I won't be seeking any more Rushdie books.  :lurker:

Well, I didn't hate it, so that's good!  Initial thoughts are that I would give it about 3/5, but that's subject to change when I put my thoughts on paper (oh goodness - that's going to be a challenge!!).    It was just too waffly for me.  I love novels set in India (not that I've read hundreds, but...) but it wasn't a patch on Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance.   :)  Overall I'm glad I finished it, but I won't be seeking any more Rushdie books.  :lurker:

Yep - I think that sums it up for me.....it was far too waffly. Mind you, I can do waffly if the subject matter interests me, but this one was just too far out there for me to enjoy. I won't be picking up any more Rushdie either. :D

Haroun And The Sea Of Stories is pretty good, and not quite so........how do I put this?.............all over the bleedin' place!  :D

That's a Puffin children's book, isn't it? :lol: I guess that's probably more my level with Rushdie! :yes:  :giggle2:

Yep - I think that sums it up for me.....it was far too waffly. Mind you, I can do waffly if the subject matter interests me, but this one was just too far out there for me to enjoy. I won't be picking up any more Rushdie either. :D

Phew - I'm glad it's not just me!  :)

046-2015-Sept-20-Far%20from%20the%20Madd

Another enjoyable Hardy.... :thud::D :D :D 

047-2015-Sept-23-The%20Happy%20Prince%20

Sorry Jänet, this is well off-topic, I hope you don't mind! But the picture just reminds me of the time when (years and years ago!) you had a picture of Stephen Fry as your profile picture, and I just mentioned to you in passing, in some thread or another, that it intimidated me, in that I felt like I had to write very polished sentences when talking to you, as Fry is brilliant with words. And even though I hadn't meant it, you changed the avatar :blush: You didn't want me to feel intimidated! :blush:  :hug:  :hug:

I have finally finished Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie! celebrate_zps56b8a801.gif  It took me just over a month to read it! :o

A month?! Wow, you truly persevered! I read your earlier post where you said you'd put the book aside... But you finished it in the end! :D You can be mighty proud of yourself! :yes: 

Oh yes! :D He's fast becoming one of my favourites.  :lurker:

Sorry Jänet, this is well off-topic, I hope you don't mind! But the picture just reminds me of the time when (years and years ago!) you had a picture of Stephen Fry as your profile picture, and I just mentioned to you in passing, in some thread or another, that it intimidated me, in that I felt like I had to write very polished sentences when talking to you, as Fry is brilliant with words. And even though I hadn't meant it, you changed the avatar :blush: You didn't want me to feel intimidated! :blush:  :hug:  :hug:

Awww.  :hug:  I'd forgotten all about that!  I think it might have been him playing Oscar Wilde?

A month?! Wow, you truly persevered! I read your earlier post where you said you'd put the book aside... But you finished it in the end! :D You can be mighty proud of yourself! :yes:

Thanks.  :)  I have to thank Chrissy for the encouragement.  If it wasn't for the fact it's a book club book then I wouldn't have persevered. I'm glad I got to the end of it for that reason. 

I've only read four or five Hardy novels.  Whilst I've enjoyed them all, this has been by far and away my favourite, and now sits comfortably in my top ten all-time list. I loved the beautifully balanced combination of powerfully told story and sensitive portrayal of the life and countryside.

Oh yes! :D He's fast becoming one of my favourites.  :lurker:

Oh dear.... I hope we can still be friends :D  :hug:  :lol: 

Awww.  :hug:  I'd forgotten all about that!  I think it might have been him playing Oscar Wilde?

It was many, many moons ago! :D I'm not sure what the picture was about... It was a close-up, and I think it was a sort of a black-and-white picture, but with a blueish tint? 

I've only read four or five Hardy novels.  Whilst I've enjoyed them all, this has been by far and away my favourite, and now sits comfortably in my top ten all-time list. I loved the beautifully balanced combination of powerfully told story and sensitive portrayal of the life and countryside.

Oh man, another Hardy enthusiast....  :hide:  :D   I've only read Tess and I hated it. Had it not been a uni read and compulsory, I would've abandoned the book at the start and wouldn't now even remember having tried it. The fact that I had to plough through it didn't help! 

Oh dear.... I hope we can still be friends :D  :hug:  :lol:

Well...

Of course we can!  :friends3::D

It was many, many moons ago! :D I'm not sure what the picture was about... It was a close-up, and I think it was a sort of a black-and-white picture, but with a blueish tint?

I imagine it was this one (it's still on my laptop). Fry%20as%20wilde%201_zps3sqo4g7w.jpg

Oh man, another Hardy enthusiast....  :hide:   :D   I've only read Tess and I hated it. Had it not been a uni read and compulsory, I would've abandoned the book at the start and wouldn't now even remember having tried it. The fact that I had to plough through it didn't help!

I don't know whether you ever get British made-for-TV programmes in Finland, but I would urge you to try this version if it ever comes on TV and you have time...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186342/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's not perfect (they seldom are, with a few notable exceptions) but I think it's a really good adaptation.  :) 

050-2015-Oct-24-Midnights%20Children%20_

Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie

The ‘blurb’
Born at the stroke of midnight at the exact moment of India's independence, Saleem Sinai is a special child. However, this coincidence of birth has consequences he is not prepared for: telepathic powers connect him with 1,000 other 'midnight's children' all of whom are endowed with unusual gifts. Inextricably linked to his nation, Saleem's story is a whirlwind of disasters and triumphs that mirrors the course of modern India at its most impossible and glorious.

When this was chosen by a member of my Book Club I felt sure I would love it. The premise was great and I was looking forward to reading about India and its vibrant, bustling, colourful culture. I actually found the beginning a real slog – it wasn’t engaging me at all and I kept making excuses to myself not to pick it up. Not a great start then! It was only thanks to Chrissy (for whom this is one of her favourite books ever) that I doggedly persevered. She assured me that it would improve after a hundred or so pages – and she was right… to a certain extent.

The story, narrated by Saleem Sinai to his fiancé Padma, starts with him telling her how his Grandparents first met and moves forward through the story of his parents and his childhood to the present day, some time in the late 70s. Saleem is one of Midnight’s Children, born on the day that India gained its independence. Before his birth, a seer prophesised that Saleem would “never be older or younger than his country”, and that “there will be two heads, knees, and a nose.” Born exactly on the stroke of midnight, Saleem and the other Midnight’s Children all exhibit strange gifts – each one different – many a burden to their recipient. With Saleem’s gift of telepathy he has conferences with the other children, including his rival Shiva. Due to their birth being on the same day and to the actions of a woman called Mary, who later becomes Saleem’s Ayah, Shiva and Saleem’s lives become intertwined as the meaning of the prophesy becomes clear.

The actions of the novel echo the events of India’s Independence and the partition of India and Pakistan. The historical aspects were interesting and I learned quite a lot from reading this. The novel features a very large and sometimes confusing cast of characters – I was very glad of my Kindle’s ability to pop up a reminder of who each character was! I have to say that I didn’t warm to Saleem at all, but I really loved his sister Jamila, known as the Brass Monkey. She grows up in the shadow of her brother and displays naughty characteristics in order to get herself noticed, yet despite the family’s obvious bias towards Saleem, Jamila is fiercely loyal to her brother, certainly in the earlier part of the novel.

I’m not sure whether it was because the book took me so long to read that meant I didn’t really enjoy it as much as I’d expected to. All the ingredients were there, but for me it lacked the colour and excitement exhibited in Rohinton Mistry’s wonderful book A Fine Balance (which was kindly given to me by Chrissy a few years ago!  :D  ). That said, I am glad I read it and I think the content will make for a great discussion at Book Club and it will be interesting hear what the other members thought of it.

The paperback edition is 672 pages long and is published by Vintage. It was first published in 1981. The ISBN is 9780099511892.

3/5 (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 24 October 2015)

I’m not sure whether it was because the book took me so long to read that meant I didn’t really enjoy it as much as I’d expected to. All the ingredients were there, but for me it lacked the colour and excitement exhibited in Rohinton Mistry’s wonderful book A Fine Balance (which was kindly given to me by Chrissy a few years ago!  :D  ). That said, I am glad I read it and I think the content will make for a great discussion at Book Club and it will be interesting hear what the other members thought of it.

Must read A Fine Balance!  I absolutely loved Midnight's Children (gave it 6/6), but have heard quite a few people rave about Mistry's book.  I'm glad you at least enjoyed the Rushdie - it's far too meaty a tome to have to plough through if you don't!  I know what you mean about not enjoying a book as much if it takes a long time: all too often a book I've been really looking forward to gets interfered with by work etc., and suddenly a book that I have been enjoying, and know I would enjoy if left to it, starts to drag.  Not helpful if reading to a book club timetable, but I've been known more than once to stop reading a book and start again come the holidays (it certainly happened with both Bleak House and Moby Dick, now alongside Midnight's Children on my all-time favourite list).

Edited by willoyd

Must read A Fine Balance!  I absolutely loved Midnight's Children (gave it 6/6), but have heard quite a few people rave about Mistry's book.  I'm glad you at least enjoyed the Rushdie - it's far too meaty a tome to have to plough through if you don't!  I know what you mean about not enjoying a book as much if it takes a long time: all too often a book I've been really looking forward to gets interfered with by work etc., and suddenly a book that I have been enjoying, and know I would enjoy if left to it, starts to drag.  Not helpful if reading to a book club timetable, but I've been known more than once to stop reading a book and start again come the holidays (it certainly happened with both Bleak House and Moby Dick, now alongside Midnight's Children on my all-time favourite list).

I know lots of people who enjoyed A Fine Balance, so hopefully you will too. :)

Bleak House is definitely something I want to read at some stage.  I think I might make it when I'm on holiday so I can have a good run up at it. I see from Goodreads that it was originally published in 20 instalments so I'm expecting it to take a few weeks.

051-2015-Oct-28-The%20Wombles%20_zpsmwui

The Wombles by Elisabeth Beresford

The ‘blurb’

"The Wombles" is the first ever Wombles book and introduces the stern but kindly Great Uncle Bulgaria; Orinoco, who is particularly fond of his food and a subsequent forty winks; general handyman extraordinaire Tobermory, who can turn almost anything that the Wombles retrieve from Wimbledon Common into something useful; Madame Cholet, who cooks the most delicious and natural foods to keep the Wombles happy and contented; and, last but not least, Bungo, one of the youngest and cheekiest Wombles of all, who has much to learn and is due to venture out on to the Common on his own for the very first time...

So, how do you follow a book like Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children?  By reading about The Wombles of course!  :giggle:  When I was a child, Orinoco was my constant companion!   I adored the books and I adored the TV show (I honestly thought that in the theme tune the Wombles were described as being common (“The Wombles of Wimbledon. Common are we…”)  something that always made me rather cross! :D  I expect most people know that the Wombles came into being due to the author’s daughter’s mispronunciation of Wimbledon!

I came across a near brand-new copy of this, the first in a set of six adventures written by Elisabeth Beresford, in a charity shop and I simply couldn’t resist the gorgeous cover.  The Wombles live comfortably in their burrow underneath Wimbledon Common.  They exist largely because of the wastefulness of human beings who disregard useful items at the drop of a hat.  The youngest Wombles are unnamed, but as soon as they are old enough they are taken to see Great Uncle Bulgaria and to consult his atlas in order to choose their own name.  Once they have done this are sent out to scour the Common to recover these abandoned items which they bring back to Tobermory who sorts things out and stores them in his vast emporium because they are bound to come in useful at some stage. 

Bungo is now old enough to choose his own name (he does so by closing his eyes and pointing at the atlas – which doesn’t necessarily please the older members of the clan) and to head out onto the Common to take his part in collecting the useful stuff that has been abandoned or lost by humans.  He, together with the lovable yet lazy Orinoco, kitchen assistant Alderney and the other young Wombles get into all sorts of adventures whilst Great Uncle Bulgaria and Tobermory look over them with great wisdom!

The Wombles were certainly ahead of their time in regards to recycling!  I have to say that whilst I did enjoy re-reading this, it didn’t hold quite the same charm for me as an adult as Winnie-the-Pooh or Paddington.  It was good to revisit my old friends though and although I shan’t actively seek any more books, I might pick up another one if I come across it in my travels.   

The paperback edition is 229 pages long and is published by Bloomsbury.   It was first published in 1968.  The ISBN is 9781408808375

3/5 (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 28 October 2015)

I loved the Wombles too! :D I still have one of the Wombles albums up in the attic along with a Great Uncle Bulgaria soft toy :blush: (even though Orinoco was my favourite too) and I think I might still have some of my Wombles books up on the bookcase on the landing too. :smile2:

I adored the books and I adored the TV show (I honestly thought that in the theme tune the Wombles were described as being common (“The Wombles of Wimbledon. Common are we…”)  something that always made me rather cross! :D  I expect most people know that the Wombles came into being due to the author’s daughter’s mispronunciation of Wimbledon! [/font][/color]

I always thought it was “The Wombles of Wimbledon Common, are we…” as in they live on Wimbledon Common, but just the phrasing of the singing on the song makes it sound more like The Wombles of Wimbledon. Common are we…? :dunno:

:lol:  You're absolutely right!  

Despite the fact I have some of the books still up on the shelf, I'm not sure I'd read them again now, despite my love of nostalgia and revisiting my childhood, as in my memory these were aimed at a very young audience and probably a bit too childish for me now, and your review sort of reinforces that for me. :)

Well...

Of course we can!  :friends3::D

Wohoo! :D:friends3:

I imagine it was this one (it's still on my laptop). Fry%20as%20wilde%201_zps3sqo4g7w.jpg

The picture didn't seem familiar at first. But I may have gotten the image mixed up in my head throughout the years :)

I don't know whether you ever get British made-for-TV programmes in Finland, but I would urge you to try this version if it ever comes on TV and you have time...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186342/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's not perfect (they seldom are, with a few notable exceptions) but I think it's a really good adaptation.  :)

I wouldn't be averse to watching the TV series if it was on TV. The novel droned on in my opinion, but TV can add to the story so much, or just make it more appealing in so many ways. We do get these sorts of series on TV every now and then (costume dramas, I mean) and I like watching them :yes: I imdb'd the title of the series and found another one, with Justine Waddell whom I really like. I would watch that too :D Have you seen that version? 

Edit: The Justine Waddell version is actually a movie, not a mini series. Oops! :D 

Edited by frankie

I was searching for any mentions of Sarah Lark's novels on here and came by some sort of choccy deal with a Kindle book order, and you'd ordered  In the Land of the Long White Cloud. Any chance you've read it by now? :unsure: Probably not, because you'd have written a review on it.... The library's ordered a copy of Island of a Thousand Springs and I liked the sound of it, but the book cover seems a bit... amateurish. Slightly, slightly leaning towards Harlequin novels... But only slightly! Was just wondering if I should give it a try some day :shrug::) 

I wouldn't be averse to watching the TV series if it was on TV. The novel droned on in my opinion, but TV can add to the story so much, or just make it more appealing in so many ways. We do get these sorts of series on TV every now and then (costume dramas, I mean) and I like watching them :yes: I imdb'd the title of the series and found another one, with Justine Waddell whom I really like. I would watch that too :D Have you seen that version? 

Edit: The Justine Waddell version is actually a movie, not a mini series. Oops! :D

I haven't seen that version - I don't actually know who Justine Waddell is.  :blush:  I shall look out for it.  :)  

I was searching for any mentions of Sarah Lark's novels on here and came by some sort of choccy deal with a Kindle book order, and you'd ordered  In the Land of the Long White Cloud. Any chance you've read it by now? :unsure: Probably not, because you'd have written a review on it.... The library's ordered a copy of Island of a Thousand Springs and I liked the sound of it, but the book cover seems a bit... amateurish. Slightly, slightly leaning towards Harlequin novels... But only slightly! Was just wondering if I should give it a try some day :shrug::)

I haven't read it.  I'm not sure I ever will but it was free and from what I can remember it was the best of a bad bunch and I couldn't not download a free book!  I've just looked at all her covers on Amazon and I see what you mean about them looking like Harlequin/Mills & Boons! 

I was a bit naughty today and bought a new book!  :blush:

2015%20New%20Books%2017%20-%2004.11.15_z

Anyone who knows me knows I adore Christmas. :xmassmile:  :cheers:   And isn't the cover simply gorgeous?!  :wub:

And, by default, I have acquired another book...

2015%20Mums%20new%20book1_zps0tcgas4e.jp

This one was on my wish list and my Mum picked it up in Waterstone's this morning and decided to buy it, so I'll get to read it after her.  Yay! 

• 3 weeks later...

052-2015-Nov-03-The%20Lake%20District%20

The Lake District Murder by John Bude

The ‘blurb’
'Luke flung the light of his torch full onto the face of the immobile figure. Then he had the shock of his life. The man had no face! Where his face should have been was a sort of inhuman, uniform blank!'

When a body is found at an isolated garage, Inspector Meredith is drawn into a complex investigation where every clue leads to another puzzle: was this a suicide, or something more sinister? Why was the dead man planning to flee the country? And how is this connected to the shady business dealings of the garage? This classic mystery novel is set amidst the stunning scenery of a small village in the Lake District. It is now republished for the first time since the 1930s.

Having enjoyed The Cornish Coast Murder by the same author earlier this year, I snapped this up when I came across it in a charity shop. 

Returning home from a dinner in Keswick and needing to fill up with petrol, a man stops at a garage and is horrified to discover that one of the owners has seemingly committed suicide.  Enter Inspector Meredith of Keswick police who, together with PC Railton and the assistance of officers from nearby Penrith, sets out to solve this unexplained death.  As he digs into the dead man’s activities he uncovers a scheme that the man and his business partner were involved in which may well have contributed to the young man’s death…

I didn’t find it to be quite as good as The Cornish Coast Murder but I did enjoy it.  However, it seems to me to be more ‘told than shown’ than the first book.  As this book was published in 1935 it is, understandably, dated and some of the police procedures are laughable when seen through modern eyes.  Some of the dialogue also suffers from being old-fashioned – I did laugh at the comment from Inspector Meredith when his superior officer suggests something and Meredith responds thus:

…suddenly he slapped his thigh and let out a brisk exclamation.  “By Jove, sir!  I can see what you’re driving at now…”   :giggle2:

However, if one takes it for what it is – vintage crime – then it was an enjoyable read and I am sure I shall go on to read some more of Bude’s novels.

The paperback edition is 286 pages long and is published by British Library.   It was first published in 1935.  The ISBN is 9780712357166

3½/5 (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 3 November 2015)