Janet

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just seen The Rosie Effect in a charity shop for £1 :o

I didn't buy it as my mojo is still poorly - and besides, I haven't read the first one yet... but I'm wondering if I should go back and see if it's still there...?

I've just seen The Rosie Effect in a charity shop for £1 :o

I didn't buy it as my mojo is still poorly - and besides, I haven't read the first one yet... but I'm wondering if I should go back and see if it's still there...?

That's a bargain! Especially for such a new book. Well, if it was me, I'd buy it, because I know it'd be a book I'd like to read and own (is it something you'd like to read and own, do you think you'll like it?), and for that price, but you're not me and I don't want to be solely responsible for tempting you to the evil side :hide:.

Thanks, Gaia and Noll. :) You're right, but in the end I didn't go back for it. There are lots of Book #1 around in charity shops so hopefully I'll find it again. :)

I'm very impressed with your restraint, Janet … my willpower has gone out the window recently!  Feel like I've bought far more books than I'd intended already this year.

I've acquired 11 new books this year.  I'm not sure how that compares to last year, but I guess it's not too bad!   :)

Edit: 13 this time last year, so not far behind.  I acquired 48 in total last year.  I'm determined not to equal (or 'better', if that's the right word!) that total this year!

Edited by Janet

008-2015-Feb-07-Cheerful%20Weather%20for

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey

The ‘blurb’
A short novel that was first published in 1932 by a niece of Lytton Strachey: in this 'sharp, unsentimental domestic comedy, the weather is something less than cheerful the day Dolly Thatcham marries the Hon Owen Bingham: "In the furious March gale, everyone felt as though they were being beaten on the back of the head and on the nose with heavy carpets, and having cold steel knives thrust up inside their nostrils."'

I found this short novella on Waterstone’s sale shelf for £1.99 - it had been on my wish list for some time.  I know I enjoyed it because when I look at my posts about it I’ve said so, but it’s been a couple of months since I finished it and the story has completely faded from my mind.  

This seems to happen all too often these days, unfortunately.   I know that it’s not really the story that makes this book so enjoyable, but rather it’s the beautiful prose.  It’s a sort of comedy of manners and class.  The only bit I really remember is two of the young characters, one of whom insisted on wearing coloured socks to the wedding, which the other (his brother, I think) is horrified that it might get back to their school that he behaved in such an outrageous way!  So there you go – I have nothing to say to recommend this book, but I did enjoy it!

The paperback edition is 128 pages long and is published by Persephone.  It was first published in 1932.  The ISBN is 9781906462079.  

3½/5 (I liked it)

(Finished 07 February 2015)

I'm glad you liked it even if you can't remember it well, but from what you've said, it sounds right up my street.  It's on my wish list already, as it's a Persephone book, but if it wasn't I'd have added it based on "a sort of comedy of manners and class" alone! :D

009-2015-Feb-24-The%20Queens%20Fool_zpsk

The Queen’s Fool  by Philippa Gregory

The ‘blurb’

At a time when an innocent woman could be burned for heresy or strangled for witchcraft, to spy on the queen for the love of a traitor was the most dangerous choice of all. Into a Tudor court on the brink of treason comes Hannah, a young Jewish girl on the run from the Inquisition. Sworn into the service of a handsome Robert Dudley, he sends her as a Holy Fool to spy on Princess Mary Tudor, the forgotten heir to King Edward’s throne. Instead of the tyrant of popular legend, Hannah finds a woman waiting for her chance and only wanting the best for the kingdom – while her sister Elizabeth waits to take advantage of any mistakes, and longs for her death.

Caught in the lifelong enmity between the rival daughters of Henry VIII, torn between her infatuation with Dudley and duty to her family, thrilled by her own rare gifts, but scared of the unknown, Hannah must find a safe way through dangerous times. Times in which she is both key witness and key player, when the wrong religion is a death sentence, science and magic are one, and true love can mean death.

This was a book club choice (the second Gregory we’ve read as a group – chosen by the same group member).  The phrase ‘historical Mills & Boon’ sums it up for me.  Unfortunately the protagonist was unlikeable and the story unbelievable.   There is no way Hannah would have survived for so long – she would have been burned as a traitor either by Mary or by Elizabeth.  And the ‘romance’ element didn’t ring true either – her betrothed wouldn’t have put up with her behaviour.   The other Gregory was far better than this.  Let’s hope our group member has got this author out of her system!

It would get 1/5 but it gets an extra mark because I enjoyed some of the historical aspect.

The paperback edition is 488 pages long and is published by Harper Collins.  It was first published in 2003.  The ISBN is 9780007147298.  

2/5 (Could have been worse (but not much!))

(Finished 24 February 2015)

My latest acquisition...

2015%20New%20Books%2010%20-%2004.04.15_z

When 65-year old Grace Wellbeck sees what she believes to be the ghost of her first husband, she fears for her sanity and begins to worry she's having another breakdown. A second sighting of the ghost later the same day sends her careering back in time to the first day she met Pete, in 1958 at Blackpool Pleasure beach. She revisits their courtship, their wedding day, and the day, six months later, when Pete first hits her. Haunted by her past, and memories of her daughter, Hannah, whose death brought on her first breakdown, Grace realises she has to make some changes. The ghost, Luke, turns out to be very real. As Grace becomes entangled in the disorientating world of art and drugs he and his friends inhabit, she feels increasingly estranged from her second husband and the life they've built

I knew nothing about this book.  I had never heard of it before but I saw it on a table in Waterstone's and was drawn to the cover.  I read the first few pages and liked the writing style, so thought I'd give it a punt.   I hope it's good!  :giggle2:

That sounds very intriguing, Janet and I can imagine the cover jumps out at you from the midst of all the bright colours on the display tables.  Look forward to seeing what you make of it. :)

It has sparkly bits on it!  It was definitely the cover that made me pick it up.  I'm going to start it soon, I think.

What did the rest of your group make of the Gregory J? Intrigued as to whether the chooser is a lone wolf! :D

Nobody else enjoyed it, Alex!  This particular member is very different to the rest of us so she tends to chose this type of book - or chick-lit - neither of which are really my thing.  :)

Know what you mean! I have a couple of books of chick lit (probably less than 5 out of a TBR of 297!) acquired through gifts/years ago etc and I am terrified the jar will draw them out. But having acquired them, I feel I must try them before ridding myself :giggle2: 

My latest acquisition...

2015%20New%20Books%2010%20-%2004.04.15_z

When 65-year old Grace Wellbeck sees what she believes to be the ghost of her first husband, she fears for her sanity and begins to worry she's having another breakdown. A second sighting of the ghost later the same day sends her careering back in time to the first day she met Pete, in 1958 at Blackpool Pleasure beach. She revisits their courtship, their wedding day, and the day, six months later, when Pete first hits her. Haunted by her past, and memories of her daughter, Hannah, whose death brought on her first breakdown, Grace realises she has to make some changes. The ghost, Luke, turns out to be very real. As Grace becomes entangled in the disorientating world of art and drugs he and his friends inhabit, she feels increasingly estranged from her second husband and the life they've built

I knew nothing about this book.  I had never heard of it before but I saw it on a table in Waterstone's and was drawn to the cover.  I read the first few pages and liked the writing style, so thought I'd give it a punt.   I hope it's good!  :giggle2:

I'm liking the look of it very much :DSounds interesting too .. I bet it will be good. Books that look that good normally are :D Hope you enjoy it Janet xx

Absolutely lovely tulips :)

010-2015-Feb-26-Elizabeth%20is%20Missing

Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey

The ‘blurb’

Maud is forgetful. She makes a cup of tea and doesn't remember to drink it. She goes to the shops and forgets why she went. Sometimes her home is unrecognizable - or her daughter Helen seems a total stranger.

But there's one thing Maud is sure of: her friend Elizabeth is missing. The note in her pocket tells her so. And no matter who tells her to stop going on about it, to leave it alone, to shut up, Maud will get to the bottom of it.

Because somewhere in Maud's damaged mind lies the answer to an unsolved seventy-year-old mystery. One everyone has forgotten about.

Everyone, except Maud…

Maud is confused.  She writes things down to help her remember them but the notes don’t seem to help much – and she always seems to get in a muddle. For example, her kitchen cupboards are full of peaches, and yet she’s sure she had run out.  To make matters worse, she hasn’t seen her friend Elizabeth for weeks – and yet they usually meet on a regular basis for a cup of tea and a natter.  So Maud sets out to solve the mystery of what has happened to her friend and she’s not going to stop searching until she finds out the truth…

This book was an easy read, and yet it was difficult too! This is due to the subject matter.  Maud has dementia and Emma Healey has written Maud’s slow descent into forgetfulness so accurately.  My Aunt, who sadly died last year, had borderline dementia and Healey’s portray of Maud’s slow decline echoes her behaviour. 

I really enjoyed this book – if that’s the right word.  Healey seamlessly weaves past and present as two mysteries intertwine. 

It loses a mark though because of the way the police are portrayed.  It’s only a minor thing but it just didn’t ring true and it irritated me – I’m sure they wouldn’t treat a confused old lady with such lack of compassion and understanding. 

I think it’s the author’s début novel – she’s definitely an author I shall look out for.  :)

The paperback edition is 275 pages long and is published by Penguin.  It was first published in 2014.  The ISBN is 9780241968185.  

4/5 (Very enjoyable)

(Finished 26 February 2015)

Know what you mean! I have a couple of books of chick lit (probably less than 5 out of a TBR of 297!) acquired through gifts/years ago etc and I am terrified the jar will draw them out. But having acquired them, I feel I must try them before ridding myself :giggle2:

I know how you feel. :)  I used to feel the same, but now I am more heartless because I know I'll never read all the books I want to in my lifetime, so I've decided to eliminate anything I don't fancy. It's hard though, especially if someone has bought/given them to you, but unless I had a jar and pulled them out like you are, it's unlikely I'd ever choose them so I'd rather someone else got pleasure from them.

I'm liking the look of it very much :DSounds interesting too .. I bet it will be good. Books that look that good normally are :D Hope you enjoy it Janet xx

Absolutely lovely tulips :)

Thanks.  Fingers crossed.  The tulips are gorgeous, aren't they. :)  my son's girlfriend bought them for me for Easter because I'd requested no chocolate from anyone apart from Peter.  :)

I hope you enjoy your new book :)!

Thanks, Gaia.  :)

011-2015-Mar-03-The%20Family%20from%20On

The Family from One End Street by Eve Garnett

The ‘blurb’

The story of everyday life in the big, happy Ruggles family who live in the small town of Otwell. Father is a dustman and Mother a washerwoman. Then there's all the children - practical Lily Rose, clever Kate, mischievous twins James and John, followed by Jo, who loves films, little Peg and finally baby William.

A truly classic book awarded the Carnegie Medal as the best children's book of 1937.

I’d had this book on my wish list since 2010 so I was chuffed to find it in a charity book shop for 10p! (I gave 50p, but even that was a steal).  It’s had its money’s worth over the years though – the cover shows a price of three shillings and sixpence!  :giggle2:

The Ruggles are a lovely family consisting of a hard-working mother and father and their brood of seven children!  Each chapter is a different story based on a different family member – each of which has a moral.  Despite this, it doesn’t sound preachy and I found it to be a really quite delightful book with a lot of social history in it.  As the ‘blurb’ states, it won the Carnegie Medal in 1937 (the year my Mum was born!) so it goes without saying that it’s rather dated, but I think that just adds to the charm of it.  I shall definitely look out for the sequel.  :)

The paperback edition is 60 pages long and is published by Puffin.  It was first published in 1978.  The ISBN is 9780141311524.  

3/5 (Enjoyable)

(Finished 3 March 2015)